Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hits and Misses of 2023
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Little Mermaid actually hits Disney+ on August 6th, just a week from today. I'm looking forward to seeing it then.

Posts: 3332 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Little Mermaid actually hits Disney+ on August 6th, just a week from today. I'm looking forward to seeing it then.
Hm, I take it you meant to say 'Hits Disney+ on September 6th' ... or did you have special access to a feature on the classic version of 'The Time Machine' ? Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

I really must rewatch that one some time soon Smile

Posts: 1530 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
In the realm of the sublime daydream, all months are August, all days are Thursday, it's always 2 o'clock (A.M. & P.M.) on the dot, and all rainbows are double.

Heh, sorry for my mistake.
I'm told it's only the 17th one ever made here.

Wait, check that. I'm being told there were several mistakes in the mistake-count, making the count itself somewhat higher. An independent third-party auditor has been summoned.

Posts: 3332 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
In the realm of the sublime daydream, all days are Thursday,
Try telling that to Arthur Dent Big Grin

Which reminds me, it's years since I last listened to my set of Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy CDs....and even longer since I played back the tapes I recorded of the original radio series when it was first broadcast here in the UK late at night on Radio 4 way back in the late 70s. That has to be my favourite radio series of all time Smile

Posts: 1530 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
I don't want to call Equalizer 3, Gran Turismo and TMNT hits but all three were made on budgets that allow for enough box office bucks to leave them with little to worry about when they roll into prime and streaming services.

Strays ignored my predictions and tanked.

Talk to me with a grand slam $63M on a $4.5M budget. Which actually passes budget to box office multiplier for Sound of Freedom.

Posts: 4871 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
TMNT is about to pass The Flash to reach #17 for the year. Blue Beetle is about to pass Shazam 2 to become # 26. Mission Impossible is 4 M behind Indiana Jones.

Posts: 4022 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Coming September 29th is a sci-fi called "The Creator". It ticks all the AI end of humanity boxes we've seen before, but it looks like it might do it really well. Could be a good one. Smile

Posts: 10430 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Coming September 29th is a sci-fi called "The Creator". It ticks all the AI end of humanity boxes we've seen before, but it looks like it might do it really well. Could be a good one. Smile

As an early investor of John David Washington autograph cards, very much looking forward to this one. Big Grin Still the trailers are very interesting, I want to see this.

Posts: 4871 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
TMNT just passed The Flash and Scream 6 to make it into the # 16 position.

Blue Beetle is at # 26 but won't make it into the Top 20.

Looks like The Little Mermaid may be stuck at 298 K and may not make it to 300 K.

Posts: 4022 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
First time in over 20 years the top three films didn't involve sequels.

https://www.slashfilm.com/1386...-YgqxuyOPWAEGIIyPBl0

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3 came out this weekend and made only 10 M

Posts: 4721 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:

I think I said somewhere on here way back that if you saw "My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2" you were never gonna watch #3. Wink

"The Nun 2" is on top because all those "Conjuring" type cheap horror flicks make money and do even better when all the bigger movies have had a chance to age.

There is a recent Australian horror movie called "Talk To Me" that didn't seem to make too much in theatres, a few million dollars, but on a budget of practically nothing. I keep hearing people rave about it, but I've kind of lost my taste for midnight movies filmed in someone's garage.

Posts: 10430 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
In a slow weekend attendance "Nun 2" in its second week held on to the #1 slot, barely beating the debut of "A Haunting in Venice". I really hope this ends Branagh's Agatha Christie phase, although oddly enough I do want to go and see "A Haunting in Venice" if I get the time before it heads to streaming.

At least it's a new adaptation of a story I don't know. His previous remakes of "Murder on the Orient Express" and "Death on the Nile" were awful and I don't understand who kept giving him money to pretend he was a good Hercule Poirot. He never got the accent or the mustache right. Big Grin Not to mention his second-rate direction of not all-star casts.

So why do I want to see it? I like mysteries and I don't know who done it. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The first movie (20 years ago) was a hit because it didn't cost much to make ($5 million) but it was a huge moneymaker (over $300 million worldwide). I remember they adapted it into a TV series but it didn't last long. I thought "My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2" was a flop, but the budget was relatively small ($18 million) and the take was more than quadruple that so it was a big winner for investors even if it didn't gross $100 million.

I get the feeling the new one will at least end up doubling its budget so it will be okay. It's just unlikely they will go for four.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by David R:

I think I said somewhere on here way back that if you saw "My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2" you were never gonna watch #3. Wink

"The Nun 2" is on top because all those "Conjuring" type cheap horror flicks make money and do even better when all the bigger movies have had a chance to age.

There is a recent Australian horror movie called "Talk To Me" that didn't seem to make too much in theatres, a few million dollars, but on a budget of practically nothing. I keep hearing people rave about it, but I've kind of lost my taste for midnight movies filmed in someone's garage.

Posts: 4416 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Greek 3 is up to a paltry 18 M. At this rate it won't even be in the Top 40 of the year. Makes Blue Beetle look like a blockbuster.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
New Nick Cage flick getting some buzz and great reviews....looks interesting. Could he be this years Brendan Frasier?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3x9iUL-74w

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Just back from "A Haunting in Venice" and should have known better, but at least i didn't take anyone with me. First Wednesday showing and, I kid you not, there was me and one other guy. Felt like a movie star in a private screening theatre. The ticket taker said the last 2 weeks have been really slow and she wondered if people were starting to worry again. Hope its just bad movies.

And speaking of bad movies, it was. No horrors, no scares, no suspense, no laughs, just dull talking. The only interesting character was the first one to be killed and I guessed the killer immediately. The rest was multiple subplots for all the characters that were both senseless and boring. I actually think this was the worst of Branagh's Christie films because it was all self-contained in a dark house with a bunch of lifeless actors. Anyway, see it on TV if you must, would be my suggestion.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'm still trying to decide whether or not I want to see his second Christie film whenever it gets shown on TV here in the UK. I already have seen on Blu-Ray, his "version" of Murder on the Orient Express but have no inclination to buy any more of his stuff.

If you haven't seen it already I would suggest that you see the 2010 David Suchet TV version Hallowe'en Party which bears more of a resemblance to the original novel.

regards

John

Posts: 2123 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
For me Suchet IS Poirot. None have done it better. He had a funny moustache like all the others but because he was really 'method' in inhabiting the character, it looked right, and there was always a little humour there about Poirot's OCD for things. Where as others, Branagh and even Finney, looked ludicrous. And Ustinov was the wrong choice too. I think Christie fanatics agree that Suchet is the closest to the book character.
I bought my Mum the complete series on DVD(70 episodes) a while back, and still enjoy watching them with her.
Although I have to chuckle when Suchet as Poirot does his little mincy walk. In his book a couple of years ago, he told how he initially found the way to get that walk right was to have a 2p coin in his backside crack, and keeping it there as he walked got the effect he wanted. Big Grin

Posts: 429 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Some stats for 2023 vs. the 2022 domestic box office:

Number of films that made it to 300 Million

2023: 5 (Little Mermaid was 2M short; it would have been # 6)
2022: 8

Number of films that made it to 100 M plus

2023: 18
2022: 18