Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hits and Misses of 2023
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
So here is the early assessment of summer 2023 films: HITS Guardians of Galaxy and Spider Man; HITS domestically but not overseas- Little Mermaid; HITS overseas but not hits domestically- Fast X and Transformers; MISSES- Flash and Elementals

Posts: 4008 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I don't see how the Barbie film could possibly be a hit in July.

Posts: 4008 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I saw the trailer and it was kind of cute and I think I really liked the soundtrack, but it has a bunch of problems that I'm not sure will work out.

1. It seems like Margot Robbie can't make a hit movie to save her life.

2. Ryan Gosling is not much better lately.

3. I'm not sure what audience this is aimed at. You would think kids, but the scenes seem to be going for clever in an adult way. Which is fine, but to carry the whole dolls out in the real-world idea is a 10-minute skit and not a 2-hour movie.

4. Similarly the color palate is cute at first sight. but annoying long term.

5. Grete Gerwig has had enough success to be given the green light to do what she wants and generally that leads to excess.

6. This summer has been hard on summer movies.

7. Barbie dolls have fallen out of favor.

That seems like a lot of problems, but superheroes aren't doing so good, maybe Barbie can show up at the right time and win by virtue of default.

Posts: 10404 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
I just have a strange feeling that it is going to be big. I have no reason for this emotion.

I think Barbie falling out of favor is too new and will not have much of an impact on generations of vested audience members. Barbie still sells well enough to create more than enough box office supporters for a hit film.

Posts: 4858 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This summer has had a noticeable lack of mega hits. Fast X and Transformers have underwhelmed. Wonder how Indiana Jones will do ? Seems like the biggest hit of 2023 may very well be Super Mario Bros.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Barbie is still popular though maybe not as much as in the 60's-80's. There is an audience for the movie in the people who had the dolls as kids and those who collect Barbies down to all the little accessories now. Barbie was part of the "Toy Story" movies so the makers of this one should take a page from that. Those movies brought life to the toys making them relatable characters rather than just relying on nostalgia to sell tickets.

As for the look of the movie, this movie reminds me of "Speed Racer" which was released about 15 years ago. I thought that movie was great because it took the look of the original cartoon and made it real. It's true a movie can't be just be a triumph of art direction and set design so you need a well-written story but like "Speed Racer," there might be fans who are going to be looking at everything and probably watch it again to see what detail/in-joke they missed before.

Posts: 4391 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
As for the look of the movie, this movie reminds me of "Speed Racer" which was released about 15 years ago. I thought that movie was great because it took the look of the original cartoon and made it real. It's true a movie can't be just be a triumph of art direction and set design so you need a well-written story but like "Speed Racer," there might be fans who are going to be looking at everything and probably watch it again to see what detail/in-joke they missed before.

Yeah, but that may not be a such good thing Jess. "Speed Racer" lost a ton of money, never got its sequel and kind of buried Emile Hirsch as a leading man. It's gotten more appreciated in subsequent years, but a lot of people hated its look and sound. It may have been made for Speed Racer fans, but there must not have been enough of them, and a movie screen amplifies more than a TV screen.

"Barbie" should do better than "Speed Racer" because I think more people will try it, but you're right about the look being similar.

Posts: 10404 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hey Raven,

I figured someone would bring up the fact that Speed Racer was not a hit. Those people who hated the look didn't get what it was trying to do or they simply don't like anything flashy and loud. It was flashy and loud for a reason and even though I don't always like that either, I appreciated the attempt to try to do the whole thing as a live action movie. You don't do "Speed Racer" as a tense family drama with the racing action in the background. Maybe you try that as an SNL skit.

Barbie has her own look - lots of pink - and from the look of the commercial I saw, they got that down.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:

Yeah, but that may not be a such good thing Jess. "Speed Racer" lost a ton of money, never got its sequel and kind of buried Emile Hirsch as a leading man. It's gotten more appreciated in subsequent years, but a lot of people hated its look and sound. It may have been made for Speed Racer fans, but there must not have been enough of them, and a movie screen amplifies more than a TV screen.

"Barbie" should do better than "Speed Racer" because I think more people will try it, but you're right about the look being similar.

Posts: 4391 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
This is a slow weekend for new movies, and I think it's because the studios expected "The Flash" or "Elementals" to rack up big audiences and didn't want to compete. They should have scheduled a good one as it turns out. Maybe Meg 2.

Only the Jennifer Lawrence helmed "No Hard Feelings" seems to be opening with any fanfare this week. It hasn't gotten bad reviews so far, but sounds close to being another "Risky Business", which was a fun film when Tom Cruise could still play the teenager.

Given that its Lawrence, who like Robbie can't seem to pick a good role in years, I would be surprised if it goes big. However I would think more people will go see it now with the lull and I will catch it when it hits Netflix.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Given that its Lawrence, who like Robbie can't seem to pick a good role in years, I would be surprised if it goes big. However I would think more people will go see it now with the lull and I will catch it when it hits Netflix.
I think they've been getting a bit desperate to attract an audience to this one. It was originally being promoted as a raunchy comedy but in a Buzzfeed interview with the two stars, it's all about the 'nude scene' and how she was completely naked. Now I wonder why they did that Big Grin

Posts: 1530 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
I think they've been getting a bit desperate to attract an audience to this one. It was originally being promoted as a raunchy comedy but in a Buzzfeed interview with the two stars, it's all about the 'nude scene' and how she was completely naked. Now I wonder why they did that Big Grin

I didn't see that interview, I heard a couple of radio reviews that didn't hate it, the movie I mean. Wink

Does a "nude scene" even matter anymore? There are way more actors who will than won't and the shock value is barely there. Plus the red-carpet fashions leave nothing to the imagination, so it's hardly worth the cost of a ticket. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
I didn't see that interview, I heard a couple of radio reviews that didn't hate it, the movie I mean. Wink

Does a "nude scene" even matter anymore? There are way more actors who will than won't and the shock value is barely there. Plus the red-carpet fashions leave nothing to the imagination, so it's hardly worth the cost of a ticket. Big Grin
Hehe, not for 'shock value'. More about there are still quite a few male customers who will go to see the film just to catch a glimpse of Jennifer Lawrence in the buff....again Big Grin

Posts: 1530 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Friday daily box office shows Flash dropped to number 4 below Elemental while SpiderVerse hangs on to second place.

Will be interesting to see if those positions hold for the weekend.

Posts: 4858 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Unless positive word of mouth propels it, I don't think the new Indy movie is going to do well. We pre-ordered tickets for this opening Saturday and the theater has currently pre-sold 9 total tickets for that particular showing.

Posts: 1571 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
"Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny" premiered at the Cannes Film Festival back in May and if you didn't hear too much about it, nobody did. The media seems reluctant to put out any negative comments on this one, but the positive comments have been meddling at best. Everyone still seems to swear that it's the last Indy movie though, so I expect a lot of people will go see it just for that reason and probably complain afterwards.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
One superhero film is destroying the box office while another is trying to kill a franchise. Not to mention SpiderVerse $100M budget compared to Flash's $200+M.

Feels like WB has no heart for the source material. Movie making by the numbers and it's not connecting.

Looks like No Hard Feelings rolled in higher than expected at $15M on a $45M budget. Almost $25M world wide. This is one I would think will get some decent streaming revenue as well.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This guy makes the case that Walt Disney has lost close to a billion dollars over the last year's 8 major studio releases, and that their decision to route everything to Disney+ after theater runs, instead of licensing them to Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc., is costing them billions more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNgbuv6wVPc

Posts: 2210 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My brother and I are planning to see it next weekend. I haven't been to a theater since The Rose of Skywalker, I think. After all the years between The Last Crusade and the last one, that last one should've been great with all the talent involved but it wasn't. I'm hoping the long wait this time gets us at least a good movie.

quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
Unless positive word of mouth propels it, I don't think the new Indy movie is going to do well. We pre-ordered tickets for this opening Saturday and the theater has currently pre-sold 9 total tickets for that particular showing.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
This guy makes the case that Walt Disney has lost close to a billion dollars over the last year's 8 major studio releases, and that their decision to route everything to Disney+ after theater runs, instead of licensing them to Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc., is costing them billions more.

Of course he fails to hit on a few areas such as licensing and toy/product sales. Disney is such a massive monopoly that I have often wondered how much of the promotion, advertising and distribution budget isn't Disney paying itself (Hollywood Math). I agree the exclusive Disney + model can be damaging but they do rent out many titles on Amazon often for under $5.

Then there is the lifetime of the film as it works its way down to rentals, network or cable television making money through advertising. This is how Water World actually started making money. One thing Hollywood seems to be good at is whining about how much money they are losing while still making movies. I'm sure the IRS falls for it.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Finally went to see Guardians of the Galaxy 3 and for the most part completely enjoyed it. It approached certain characters in unexpected and creative ways that made them more enjoyable to watch.

My standard complaint still stands that a 2.5 hr run time drags out the story more than it needs to.