Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hits and Misses of 2023
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Blue Beetle is getting good reviews. Not sure how well it will do, as it is an obscure character.

Posts: 4007 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Blue Beetle is getting good reviews. Not sure how well it will do, as it is an obscure character.

Early preview numbers are down, attendance is low. That trailer looked like a TV episode of Power Rangers. The radio review I heard gave it 2 stars and said it was made of pieces from every other superhero movie.

I think this movie was made for 7–11-year-olds, not for adult DC fans, but they really haven't done a good job of telling people that. Originally this was going to be put out to streaming, but it was switched to a theatrical release. The studio may be sorry.

Posts: 10401 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Yeah, unfortunately "good reviews" has become a subjective term. I wont lie that I have some intrigue but not entirely sure I will actually go to the theater to watch it.

Fortunately Cocaine Bear is on Amazon and I am having a good time right now. Smile

Posts: 4858 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Oh wait...good reviews has ALWAYS been a subjective term.

Posts: 4858 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Yeah, unfortunately "good reviews" has become a subjective term. I wont lie that I have some intrigue but not entirely sure I will actually go to the theater to watch it.

Fortunately Cocaine Bear is on Amazon and I am having a good time right now. Smile

That's a good one. It's almost as much fun as being on cocaine and riding a bear with an Amazon.

Almost.

Posts: 3327 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Barbie's 28 day run at the top was ended Friday by Blue Beetle, so Warner Brothers is probably pleased that it took another of their movies to dislodge it.

Barbie will pass Super Mario Brothers in USA grosses on Tuesday or Wednesday. It still needs about 130 million to claim the 2023 global title.

Posts: 3327 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Blue Beetle is projected to gross a lowly 25 M this weekend (cost about 104 to make) and Barbie about 21 M

Posts: 4007 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Blue Beetle is projected to gross a lowly 25 M this weekend (cost about 104 to make) and Barbie about 21 M

For some reason there seemed to be a real effort in the press to make "Blue Beetle" sound better than what they knew it was. It will beat "Barbie" by a few million and take over #1, still below even its own modest box office expectations. It's a flop. More pressure on Aquaman, if they still release it before the strikes end.

Posts: 10401 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
My friends who went to see Blue Beetle this weekend said it was family friendly and a good kid’s movie. One said it was like Spy Kids films, A clean live action that had enough to please the parents as well as the kids.

Posts: 5777 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
We're going to see it at the drive-in later this week.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This has been the summer of flops for all sequels and remakes, aside from Guardians of the Galaxy 3. The recent animated Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles has underwhelmed, grossing only 80 M or so.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Barbie is now 5 M away from passing Super Mario Bros. to become # 1 for the year, domestically.

And Oppenheimer is 10.5 M away from passing The Little Mermaid to become # 5.

Posts: 4718 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
By Labor Day, the Top 10 will look like this:

1) BARBIE
2) SUPER MARIO BROS.
3) SPIDER MAN
4) GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 3
5) OPPENHEIMER
6) LITTLE MERMAID
7) ANT MAN 3
8) JOHN WICK 4
9) SOUND OF FREEDOM
10) INDIANA JONES

BLUE BEETLE is not even in the Top 30...

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
When will you NOT find me in the theater? When tickets are $4 and EVERYONE is going.

Would be interesting to see how cheap tickets translate into financial help for theaters and concession sales.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
"Meg 2" is up to 352M and continues to do well globally. No matter how high it gets on the list, its a hit and will probably get that trilogy. Love it when an escapist movie does excellently what its audience expects it to do, and you don't have to read a dissertation to try and figure out what you just watched.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
When will you NOT find me in the theater? When tickets are $4 and EVERYONE is going.

Would be interesting to see how cheap tickets translate into financial help for theaters and concession sales.

Hopefully, it's like a "Black Friday" deal for them. Maybe they'll start doing it twice a year.

I went an 18 screen multiplex yesterday. Tickets sales were brisk and the concession lines were long. Our auditorium was full and there's no way that would've been the case normally for an early Sunday showing without the deal. By afternoon/evening, I'll bet most movies there sold out. They had Jurassic Park, the original, in 3D on one screen. There's no way that wasn't sold out all day.

I'll bet the employees weren't allowed to ask for yesterday off, because there were a lot more than usual there. As for the crowd, the movie was played loud, so they really couldn't have talked over it, but they were pretty well quiet anyway, no crying babies which is always nice. On the downside, this well-advertised event drew such large groups of teenagers together, it resulted in some minor skirmishes being reported across the nation, including the cinema at Del Amo mall in Torrance, CA, where I hung out as a (fairly) well-behaved teenager.

That place, now an AMC theatre, but then a UA theatre, is sacred to me. It's pretty much the first walk-in I remember seeing a movie at, when I was 3 or 4 years old.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
"Meg 2" is up to 352M and continues to do well globally. No matter how high it gets on the list, its a hit and will probably get that trilogy.

Given so much Chinese investment I wonder how important the US box office is? I would think no where near that of a US based film.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
That place, now an AMC theatre, but then a UA theatre, is sacred to me. It's pretty much the first walk-in I remember seeing a movie at, when I was 3 or 4 years old.

My earliest memories are the drive in down in Oceanside. Pretty sure all of the walk-in theaters I went to as a kid have been turned into art houses, gutted or torn down. My parents weren't big movie goers but once I had my bus pass or skateboard in 1976 I was probably in the theater 2 to 3 times a month. Many times a double feature or just staying and watching the movie twice.

I remember seeing Smokey and the Bandit with Breaker Breaker as a double feature. I went back again but timed it so I could see Breaker Breaker twice and Smokey only once. Bruce Lee movies always played at the seedy theater downtown so Chuck Norris was my introduction to karate flicks. So difficult to watch it today.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
"Meg 2" is up to 352M and continues to do well globally. No matter how high it gets on the list, its a hit and will probably get that trilogy.

Given so much Chinese investment I wonder how important the US box office is? I would think no where near that of a US based film.

Starting years ago, there are Chinese movies that would regularly break into the top 10 box office by the investment. But because they are in a foreign language and are mainly shown in Asia and the Far East, we barely hear about them.

Same way that only a small handful of well-known actors from that regional circuit have managed to make it out to international recognition even today. Jackie Chan and Michelle Yeoh are part of the exceptions. Anime is still a weird novelty to most people outside of that culture. There are big differences between Eastern and Western cultures, and that is the problem films have when they try to draw in all audiences.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Barbie is about to hit 600 M domestically. Oppenheimer has crossed the 300 M line. If The Little Mermaid can somehow squeeze out 2 M more it will also be at 300M.