Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 72 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non-Sport Obituaries
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Voice actor (Salacious Crumb in Star Wars) mark Dodson died Saturday, Mar 2, at the age of 64.

Posts: 2216 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I've never heard it like that. I always heard it like ZZ Topp said, "A Pearl Necklace."

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:

A much bigger question is how did the public ever allow the censors to exist.

To keep people from talking about a "string of pearls" on TV. Obviously.

Posts: 4407 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It was sad to hear of Richard Lewis' passing. He was a fantastic stand-up comedian and he was great in the early 90's sitcom, "Anything But Love," with Jamie Lee Curtis. I haven't seen a lot of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" (just some episodes along its run) but that's a great show too.

Years ago, I saw that that whole run of the show was available as a DVD set.

Posts: 4407 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
I've never heard it like that. I always heard it like ZZ Topp said, "A Pearl Necklace."

If you watch the clip I linked, I think it's obvious that the meaning is the same. The real question is, when Det. Styles says "Wax job", what is he talking about?

Posts: 2216 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Former Prime Minister of Canada Brian Mulroney died on Feb 29, age 84.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I don't know that is either. Maybe it has to do with that time Sherilyn Fenn's character on "Twin Peaks" tied a cherry stem into a knot in her mouth.

Anyway, slang always changes (especially with kids) and TV writers can only try to keep up. "Bad" could mean good (my uncle still says it like that). "Tight" used to be bad ("That's tight, man") and 15-20 years ago, "keeping your lettuce tight" meant keeping your hair short."

"And don't try to dig what we all say."

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
quote:

If you watch the clip I linked, I think it's obvious that the meaning is the same. The real question is, when Det. Styles says "Wax job", what is he talking about?

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe it has to do with that time Sherilyn Fenn's character on "Twin Peaks" tied a cherry stem into a knot in her mouth.

Penn & Teller teach that in their book How to Play with Your Food .

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
As mentioned elsewhere on the board, singer Steve Lawrence has died at age 88.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Former child actress Anne Whitfield, who appeared on a 1953 Bowman Television and Radio Stars of the NBC card, died on Feb. 15 at age 85.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
You know that game, "Dead or Alive"? Lately we have had a slew of artists and entertainers in their 80s and 90s pass away. I suppose that's not too surprising at that age. What's surprising is that some of these people were already thought dead long ago.

So much for the immortality of celluloid heroes.

Posts: 10418 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A few weeks ago, I mentioned getting a box of Banjo All-Stars cards. I was going through these people pictured, and found out that one of them, Terry Baucom, passed away on Dec 7, 2023. He was 71.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Rest in peace, singer-songwriter Eric Carmen, who passed away today at the age of 74.

With the group The Raspberries, he was lead singer on several albums in the early 70's and they had a big hit with "Go All The Way", among others.

As a solo artist beginning in 1975, his distinctive plaintive voice hit big with "All By Myself" and "Never Gonna Fall in Love Again".

He also had a late 80's Renaissance with "Hungry Eyes" from the "Dirty Dancing" soundtrack and the throwback style track "Make Me Lose Control".

Carmen also wrote two of teen idol Shaun Cassidy's biggest hits: "That's Rock N Roll" and "Hey, Deanie" as well as the smash duet "Almost Paradise", the love theme from "Footloose" performed by Mike Reno of Loverboy and Ann Wilson of Heart.

Posts: 3330 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
For some reason, I would've guessed that "Hungry Eyes" was an older song than that - something from the late 70's - but I checked, and yeah, it's an 80's song alright. These days, we're more likely to hear Celine Dion's cover of "All By Myself" on the radio though you might catch Carmen's original if you listen to the music piped into stores and restaurants.

I actually heard "Stumblin' In" by Suzi Quatro and Chris Norman at Macy's last week. I hadn't heard that in years.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
British actor Michael Culver has passed away, age 85. He played Capt. Needa in Empire Strikes Back, and was force-choked by Vader.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
RIP LtGen Thomas Stafford, who died today, age 93.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Rest in peace to M. Emmet Walsh, the prolific character actor, who has moseyed along at the age of 88.

In addition to a star turn in the first Coen Brothers film "Blood Simple", he had a memorable scenery-chewing role in their "Raising Arizona".
Other highlights include "Straight Time" (as Dustin Hoffman's jerky parole officer), the crazy guy shooting at Steve Martin at the gas station in "The Jerk", Harrison Ford's old boss in "Blade Runner", and more recently, the family patriarch Roy Gemstone in HBO's "The Righteous Gemstones".

He had a second certified autograph card in the Cryptozoic "Adventure Time" set, and he laid the same delightful signature on that one, too. Other voiceover work besides the Cosmic Owl in "AT" included narration for a pair of classic Ken Burns documentaries, "The Civil War" and "Baseball". He was one of a kind.

Posts: 3330 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
M. Emmet Walsh was one of those character actors who always looked old. His first mentioned acting credits seem to be around the age of 34, but I can't remember ever seeing him as a young man. He was kind of like Wilford Brimley and Walter Brennan, or the baseball manager Sparky Anderson. They looked old when they were young, so they never seemed to age like the rest of us. Big Grin

That's actually a pretty good trio of character actors right there, Walsh, Brennan and Brimley. They all died in there 80s and they all could steal a scene from any star. Walsh had a few big roles, but he also took so many credits in smaller parts and almost cameo appearances. One memorable part that I really recall is in a weird "B" movie from 1989, "Sundown: The Vampire in Retreat". If you never saw it, it's chocked full of familiar faces and is a hidden gem for cult movie fans.

Walsh does have a great looking autograph that I made sure to pick up long ago. He was a star in his own right.

Posts: 10418 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Walsh was one of the great character actors. I think the first movie I noticed him in was Blood Simple. But after that, I realized I had seen him many times before.
In addition to his factory-signed cards, he was good about signing mailed requests as well:

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
RIP Gen. Alfred Gray. Died Mar. 20, age 95.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Actor Ron Harper died on Mar. 21, age 91. Best known for the "Planet of the Apes" TV series.

ESPN reporter Chris Mortensen died of throat cancer on Mar. 3, age 72.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bill Mullins,