Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non-Sport Obituaries
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Actor Lou Gosset Jr. died today at age 87.

Posts: 2216 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I remember that "Planet of the Apes" TV series. When I was a kid, I didn't understand why Roddy McDowall was playing a different ape. I liked the show but it wasn't on long.

I remember Ron Harper becoming a regular on the last season of "Land of the Lost."

Chris Mortensen was an "NFL Insider." He had contacts all over the league. Years ago, I used to watch ESPN's Sunday morning pre-game show back when Chris Berman hosted and as long ago as when Pete Axthelm provided the Vegas angle after he left NBC. Chris was great. He died too soon.

Posts: 4407 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Joe Flaherty was a regular on SCTV and Freaks and Geeks. He appeared on a couple of BTTF cards. He died at the age of 82.

Posts: 2216 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
A key member of SCTV, which is surely on the Mount Rushmore of sketch comedy troupes.

Here's Joe shown as the white-suited Guy Caballero, the shady owner of the TV station-within-the-show (in the cast photo), and with John Candy for Celebrity Blowup, which featured some of the show's more inspired lunacy, and a chance for the other members to show off their celebrity impressions. Woo-wee!

Rest in peace, Joe Flaherty.

Posts: 3330 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Barbara Rush was an actress whose screen credits far surpassed her trading card appearances. She died on Mar 31 at the age of 97.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
@chesspieceface, what set are those cards from? (I've long thought there should be an SCTV set.)

RIP Count Floyd.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It's an 8-card set that was given out at the 2005 SDCC (San Diego Comic Con). I think you can find it as an insert with one of the DVD compilations too.

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
@chesspieceface, what set are those cards from? (I've long thought there should be an SCTV set.)

RIP Count Floyd.

Posts: 4407 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
It's an 8-card set that was given out at the 2005 SDCC (San Diego Comic Con). I think you can find it as an insert with one of the DVD compilations too.

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:

RIP Count Floyd.

Yes, mine are from the Shout Factory booth at SDCC, but they may have also been included in one of the earlier SCTV box sets (Volume 1, most likely). There is also a second SCTV promo set featuring different cards issued in specially-stickered (perhaps all?) copies of the final box set, SCTV Volume 4.
I don't think that second set (referred to as "character cards" on the sticker) were ever handed out separately, and are seldom seen today as a result. There were 8 cards in two uncut, perforated 4 card sheets.
Here's the one with Joe's card:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chesspieceface,

Posts: 3330 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Comics artist M. D. Bright died on March 27th. He was 68.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
O.J. Simpson has died. Many cards of him. Here are some images.

https://www.bing.com/images/se...&form=HDRSC4&first=1

Posts: 4013 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Geez, I can still remember watching that damn slow speed chase on TV and then the trial on 24/7. Simpson had it all at one time. Now he'll be on TV again.

Speaking of all those football cards and autographs, the vintage stuff dropped like a rock off of their highs prior to the murders. There remained a small market at the reduced prices, and he has been signing new stuff for sale all along, but he wasn't someone that kept any big supporters even right after acquittal.

Posts: 10417 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Pioneering woman comic artist Trina Robbins has passed away at age 85. She died yesterday.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
O.J. Simpson has died. Many cards of him.

Here is one of them -- the only card I have signed by an (alledged, wink wink) murderer.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Singrt Clarence "Frogman" Henry died Apr. 7, age 87.

Actress Barbara Baldavin died on Mar. 31, age 85.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There was a 50-card set about the trial, "In Pursuit of Justice (Interlink News Service, 1994) and a 10-card promo set for it. You could get the promo set for $5 (or less if you looked for it) and you can still get it for that.

quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
O.J. Simpson has died. Many cards of him. Here are some images.

https://www.bing.com/images/se...&form=HDRSC4&first=1

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Recently, I read that writer, John Nichols, passed away on November 27, 2023. He authored both fiction and nonfiction. Three of his novels were made into movies. Perhaps the most famous was "The Milagro Beanfield War."

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Guitarist Dickey Betts of the Allman Brothers band died today at age 80.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
If you tell people these days that Betts wrote "Ramblin' Man" and "Jessica," they might recognize "Ramblin' Man" but not "Jessica," his most famous instrumental. You would just need to hear a few seconds of it before commenting, "Oh yeah, that song." It was one of a few instrumentals I used to hear on "easy rock" stations into the 90's (before they started sticking to "the top 500 songs" - or whatever the number is now of the 70's and 80's, focusing more on the latter in recent years).

Anyway, it was sad to hear. Just one original "Allman Brothers" band member left.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
I think Jessica is the theme tune to Top Gear (UK).

Posts: 3253 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Rest in Peace to Terry Carter who has passed away at the age of 95. He played Col. Tigh on the original "Battlestar Galactica". He's got some nicer looking cards, including autographs, in the more recent Rittenhouse BSG sets, but here's one from the old Topps set.