Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Banjo All-Stars
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted
I recently bought a box of Banjo All-Stars trading cards.

They are sold on Etsy, in packs and boxes. My box, as guaranteed, contained a complete set (30 base cards plus 12 limited (gold foil highlights on reverse)) cards. The artwork, as seen on the link, is gorgeous. Each card is based on a painting done just for the set. I can't imagine that the guy producing these is making any real money off them, but he is already planning Series II.

Collation was fine. I received a set consisting of 1 of each (base and limited) card, plus a stack of dupes. The manufacturer threw 2 additional packs and two banjo picks into the box, so now I have to learn to pick a banjo.

The cards seem to be for real aficionados -- of the 42 pickers pictured, I only recognized 3 names (Ralph Stanley, Earl Scruggs, and Sonny Osborne). I'm not a huge banjo/bluegrass fan, but am somewhat knowledgeable about it and have been to a few shows and festivals. But after looking up some of these artists on youtube, there are some very good banjo players represented.

It looks like Series II may be somewhat more recognizable. Customers have nominated Steve Martin, Bela Fleck, Stringbean Akeman, Grandpa Jones, John Hartford, John McEuen, Roy Clark, Buck Trent, Roni Stoneman, and Uncle Dave Macon. Still at large, though, are Abigail Washburn, Eric Weissberg, Paul Stookey, Pete Seeger (well, he was a communist, so he's not missed), and Jerry Van Dyke.

This is certainly a niche set. But it is well done, and I'm glad to add it to my collection. Recommended.

Posts: 2212 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Maybe he kept his costs down by making just 42 different cards, but yeah, that's a niche set alright. It should be said that there are bluegrass fans all over the country so he probably thought his passion project had a chance to break even.

I remember when Dan Fogelberg did a bluegrass album, "High Country Snows," in '85.

As for Seeger, nobody's perfect.

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
I recently bought a box of Banjo All-Stars trading cards.

They are sold on Etsy, in packs and boxes. My box, as guaranteed, contained a complete set (30 base cards plus 12 limited (gold foil highlights on reverse)) cards. The artwork, as seen on the link, is gorgeous. Each card is based on a painting done just for the set. I can't imagine that the guy producing these is making any real money off them, but he is already planning Series II.

Collation was fine. I received a set consisting of 1 of each (base and limited) card, plus a stack of dupes. The manufacturer threw 2 additional packs and two banjo picks into the box, so now I have to learn to pick a banjo.

The cards seem to be for real aficionados -- of the 42 pickers pictured, I only recognized 3 names (Ralph Stanley, Earl Scruggs, and Sonny Osborne). I'm not a huge banjo/bluegrass fan, but am somewhat knowledgeable about it and have been to a few shows and festivals. But after looking up some of these artists on youtube, there are some very good banjo players represented.

It looks like Series II may be somewhat more recognizable. Customers have nominated Steve Martin, Bela Fleck, Stringbean Akeman, Grandpa Jones, John Hartford, John McEuen, Roy Clark, Buck Trent, Roni Stoneman, and Uncle Dave Macon. Still at large, though, are Abigail Washburn, Eric Weissberg, Paul Stookey, Pete Seeger (well, he was a communist, so he's not missed), and Jerry Van Dyke.

This is certainly a niche set. But it is well done, and I'm glad to add it to my collection. Recommended.

Posts: 4393 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post