Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hits and Misses of 2023
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I can't see why everyone says that "Oppenheimer" and "Barbie" will be big hits.

For the first one, who wants to see a 3 hour movie about the atomic bomb ? I don't get it.

As for Barbie, maybe it will make 40-50 M the first weekend, but I can't see it being a summer blockbuster.

They are making movies about very STRANGE topics, IMHO.

Posts: 4011 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
"Oppenheimer" is a part of history. It shows the human story of those scientists that created the "A" and "H" bombs and were well aware that no one should hold that kind of power, but they did their jobs. It's supposed to be a great film. Now whether you want to spend 3 hours watching it is a different matter. Like I said before somewhere, you have to be in the mood for the intensity of that kind of story and it's definitely not a summer release. So I don't know who thought going against "Barbie" was a bright idea. I don't expect it to make much money in comparison to budget.

"Barbie" is also getting great reviews, but it's not made for kids still actually playing with Barbies. It looks great, it's got songs and dances, and it seems to be celebrating everything "Barbie", while it's acknowledging all the things people think is wrong with "Barbie".

It wants it both ways. It's not about dolls, it's really about feminism and patriarchy in modern society. Only that's over the head of small kids, so they are supposed to like the shiny colors and songs. The "smart" adults are supposed to laugh at the sly in-jokes and enjoy the clever underlying messaging. Again, this will appeal to many people, and not so much for others, depending on how mixed you like your entertainment to be.

I still think "Barbie" will make money, just because of the full court press involved. The amount of tie-in merchandise that they are putting out is overwhelming. Also the studio got lucky with the date and got all the promotions done before the SAG-AFTRA strike closed down the stars. It will be the size of the box office drop off in the second week that will tell if it got good or bad word of mouth from viewers.

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I remember that back in 1989 they did a theatrical film about Oppenheimer starring Paul Newman and Dwight Schultz of The A-Team. Fat Man and Little Boy. It flopped.

Posts: 4718 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it's not for kids. History buffs, nuclear researchers, and military people will go to see it. The history of atomic research is interesting (read "The Making of the Atomic Bomb" by Richard Rhodes - Pulitzer Prize winner) but can you make it into a visual feast/entertaining movie? I think Christopher Nolan can.

I wonder what Nolan would have done with Barbie.

quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:

For the first one, who wants to see a 3 hour movie about the atomic bomb ? I don't get it.

As for Barbie, maybe it will make 40-50 M the first weekend, but I can't see it being a summer blockbuster.

Posts: 4400 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Indiana Jones should surpass Transformers and Creed 3 within a few days to make it up to # 7 domestically for the year so far. It might not get higher than that.

Little Mermaid (# 3) might hit 300 M in another week.

Sound of Freedom is about to hit 100 M and is already in the Top 15, which is quite impressive

Posts: 4011 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2213 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
People are questioning why Disney has a new "Haunted Mansion" movie this summer.

Didn't Disney do the same movie with Eddie Murphy 20 years ago ? I think there was a card set for it, BTW.

Sounds like another flop !

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Articles are suggesting that the next DC Universe film, Blue Beetle, coming on August 18, may be the lowest grossing DC film since the 1980s.

And predictions are that Aquaman 2, coming in December, may be in trouble, also.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Articles are suggesting that the next DC Universe film, Blue Beetle, coming on August 18, may be the lowest grossing DC film since the 1980s.

And predictions are that Aquaman 2, coming in December, may be in trouble, also.

Previews of BB look mildly charming but as with other DC ideas feels like a complete Marvel rip off.

I don't have a good feeling for Aquaman 2 either which puts the DCEU in a pattern of not being able to capitalize on their successes. Suicide Squad, Wonder Woman and Shazam all took horrible turns after strong openings.

Posts: 4858 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There was a lot about both movies on the news yesterday. Yeah. Barbie is getting a huge push and people coming out of theaters are already giving it good reviews. One of my nieces was planning on seeing it with friends this weekend. It looks like it's going to have a huge weekend.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
"Oppenheimer" is a part of history. It shows the human story of those scientists that created the "A" and "H" bombs and were well aware that no one should hold that kind of power, but they did their jobs. It's supposed to be a great film. Now whether you want to spend 3 hours watching it is a different matter. Like I said before somewhere, you have to be in the mood for the intensity of that kind of story and it's definitely not a summer release. So I don't know who thought going against "Barbie" was a bright idea. I don't expect it to make much money in comparison to budget.

"Barbie" is also getting great reviews, but it's not made for kids still actually playing with Barbies. It looks great, it's got songs and dances, and it seems to be celebrating everything "Barbie", while it's acknowledging all the things people think is wrong with "Barbie".

It wants it both ways. It's not about dolls, it's really about feminism and patriarchy in modern society. Only that's over the head of small kids, so they are supposed to like the shiny colors and songs. The "smart" adults are supposed to laugh at the sly in-jokes and enjoy the clever underlying messaging. Again, this will appeal to many people, and not so much for others, depending on how mixed you like your entertainment to be.

I still think "Barbie" will make money, just because of the full court press involved. The amount of tie-in merchandise that they are putting out is overwhelming. Also the studio got lucky with the date and got all the promotions done before the SAG-AFTRA strike closed down the stars. It will be the size of the box office drop off in the second week that will tell if it got good or bad word of mouth from viewers.

Posts: 4400 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:

Jussstttt a bit outside on that one, Tommy!
Big Grin

Posts: 3328 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
quote:

Jussstttt a bit outside on that one, Tommy!
Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
I just have a strange feeling that it is going to be big. I have no reason for this emotion.

You can just call me the oracle. Big Grin

I think the real question is just how much of a push did the "barbenheimer" mash up PR between two rival studios actually get over the last two or three weeks? You know they are going to try and put an estimate on this as compared to if the films simply came out without it.

Are we seeing a new promotion strategy that may be attempted again for certain non competing films? Maybe films in competition would even do better?

Posts: 4858 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
"Barbie" had all the pieces to break records this weekend and it all worked. I suspected it would make for at least a big opening, but it did even better than I thought. I can no longer say Margot Robbie can't pick a hit if her life depended on it. Gerwig can write her own ticket to make a half dozen studio movies before someone asks what the heck she is doing. "Barbie 2" is a certainty, but maybe not by the same people. I think I would get out while I was still ahead, unless the offer was too good to refuse of course. Wink

Now "Oppenheimer" I do not understand. I will be interested to read what are the demographics of the audience who turned out in mass for this one. What is it that they went to see? "A" bombs going off in Imax? End of the world without the zombies? A history lesson? Any Christopher Nolan movie? Was it a TikTok challenge?

I would have thought "Oppenheimer" against "Barbie" was nuts. It would be a miracle if it broke 30M on opening week. So who are all these people that turned out? What are their ages and where did they come from? Is it older folks' nostalgic for the good old days or younger people going around saying "They tested atomic weapons in the desert? Cool." Is it college students or retirees? Is it people looking for insightful knowledge from the past or just people looking to see stuff blow up?

No, I don't get why anyone would make "Oppenheimer" a summer blockbuster, but of course I'm looking forward to seeing "Meg 2", so what do I know! Big Grin

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
We're going to "Barbie" on Monday and "Oppenheimer" on Tuesday so as to find out what all the hubbub is about.

Posts: 3328 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Barbie debuted to an astounding 155 M which means that domestically it will easily pass Indiana Jones in one weekend, and it might end up being the 4th highest grossing movie of the year, or better.

Mission Impossible is, surprisingly, starting to slow down at about 120 M. Even Sound of Freedom has made more money than MI7. It won't be a repeat of the success of Top Gun.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Barbie debuted to an astounding 155 M which means that domestically it will easily pass Indiana Jones in one weekend, and it might end up being the 4th highest grossing movie of the year, or better.

Mission Impossible is, surprisingly, starting to slow down at about 120 M. Even Sound of Freedom has made more money than MI7. It won't be a repeat of the success of Top Gun.

Good for Barbie. I'm glad something is shaking things up.

Posts: 1571 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The NEW Top 10 domestically as of today

1) SUPER MARIO BROS.
2) SPIDER-MAN
3) GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 3
4) LITTLE MERMAID
5) ANT MAN
6) JOHN WICK 4
7) BARBIE
8) INDIANA JONES
9) CREED 3
10) TRANSFORMERS

FAST X has fallen off of the Top 10, while SOUND OF FREEDOM is now # 13 and MISSION IMPOSSIBLE is # 14.

Posts: 4718 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gerwig can write her own ticket to make a half dozen studio movies before someone asks what the heck she is doing.

We sorta said the same thing about Patty Jenkins but it didn't take her long to mess that up. Going to be interesting to see Rogue Squadron but there is no doubt she is under watchful eyes.

quote:

Now "Oppenheimer" I do not understand. I will be interested to read what are the demographics of the audience who turned out in mass for this one.........I would have thought "Oppenheimer" against "Barbie" was nuts. It would be a miracle if it broke 30M on opening week. So who are all these people that turned out? What are their ages and where did they come from?

Uhmm Dads dropping their spouse and kids off to watch Barbie? Big Grin
Box office was two to one...theory kind of supports it.

quote:
No, I don't get why anyone would make "Oppenheimer" a summer blockbuster, but of course I'm looking forward to seeing "Meg 2", so what do I know! Big Grin

Me too! Teeth, Tentacles and Statham! Oh my! Cool

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Barbie is continuing to soar, passing John Wick and moving up the charts to # 6. Meanwhile, Mission Impossible is falling apart. It is 30 M plus behind Indiana Jones. Probably won't even make the Top 10 of the year. Many surprises in 2023.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Meanwhile, Mission Impossible is falling apart. It is 30 M plus behind Indiana Jones. Probably won't even make the Top 10 of the year. Many surprises in 2023.

I kind of wonder if "Mission Impossible - Dead Reckoning, Part One" was hurt by the inclusion of the "Part One". I know that I don't like to see that split being put right in the title, but I don't know how others feel about.

To me, even knowing that something belongs to a franchise series is not the same as seeing it right in the title. "Come on in, we're giving you half a movie. Come back next year for the ending." I tend to resent that anyway.

Also, Top Gun may have overexposed Tom Cruise a bit. He is a strange celebrity who has managed to make it through his whole career without the negative scrutiny that lesser beings have suffered. Wink