Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hits and Misses of 2023
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Apparently the new Jim Caviezel film Sound of Freedom actually made more on July 4 than Indiana Jones

Posts: 4721 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
Apparently the new Jim Caviezel film Sound of Freedom actually made more on July 4 than Indiana Jones

Yeah, 14+ million for the opening day take.
That'll get 'em about 182 barrels!

Posts: 3332 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Some comparisons, 2022 vs. 2023 so far, in terms of the domestic box office:

2022 Number of films which grossed 300 M+ : 8
2023 Number of films which grossed 300 M+ : 3

2022 Number of films which grossed 100 M+ : 18
2023 Number of films which grossed 100 M+ : 11

So far only 1 film had made more than 500 M this year--Super Mario Bros. Last year there were 2 total--Top Gun and Avatar 2.

Posts: 4018 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Granted I have a small cinema in my town but they have gone down from 6 to 8 employees to 2 due to lack of attendance. The only day the employee says they have any business is 5.50 Tuesdays (All tickets are 5.50 that day). He told me that the closest to having a full cinema showing was the first Saturday of Top Gun: Maverick and the first Saturday of Guardians of the Galaxy 3 as well as the first week of Mario Brothers. I would not be surprised in our cinema shut it doors soon.

Posts: 5777 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Budget to Box Office both Insidious and Sound of Freedom are quick hits.

Spider-Verse cartoon pushes past $357M passing Guardians 3. Planning to check out Dial of Destiny on Tues.

Posts: 4871 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Indy has now grossed 121 M domestically and about 250 M worldwide, moving it up the charts to # 10 for the year. Unfortunately it cost at least 300 M to make.

Posts: 4018 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Updated Domestic list. # 2 and 3 have switched places, as have # 8 and 9

1) SUPER MARIO BROS.
2) SPIDER-MAN
3) GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 3
4) LITTLE MERMAID
5) ANT MAN 3
6) JOHN WICK 4
7) CREED 3
8) TRANSFORMERS
9) FAST X
10) INDIANA JONES

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
SAG/AFTRA has now joined the WGA on the picket lines. The immediate effect is not just that all work will have to stop, but also that work already done will not be promoted by any of the stars. All those remaining summer movies, including "Barbie", will open without premieres or red carpets.

The big names have no worries, but many of the working writers and actors are not in a good position for a lengthy strike. The WGA has already been out foe 2 months. The studios may well dig in even more now. The damage to new films will be done anyway and they still have a back log of completed projects left over from the pandemic. The producers and studio heads don't want to share too much of that streaming money as a guarantee and AI that won't ask for a raise is looking pretty good too.

It's a shame for this to happen at a time when the film and TV industries still haven't recovered from Covid losses.

Posts: 10429 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I could be wrong, but this seems like a bad time for the unions to strike. The writers and actors are going to feel the short-term impact right away, many average members live paycheck to paycheck, while studios have plenty of content not released.

In addition, the cost of promoting films can add 20% or more to budget and expenses. A 300M film might cost $400M by the time the publicity tour is over and actors are generally paid in their contracts to do all required release promotions. Now the studios will be able to test how well films do without the cost of the tour. If they still make enough money because audiences don't stay away, they may find that less publicity is more profit in the end. They may also find that they don't need to win Emmy Awards or Oscars too.

On the other hand, union members who are losing pay daily may not be able to wait it out as long as the Studios and their fellow A-List members can afford to hold up a settlement.

Posts: 10429 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Supposedly the strike has shut down DEADPOOL 3.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
The strike has shut done all film and TV projects that require writers or actors for the duration. Projects in post-production or pre-production that don't need rewrites, or screen actors or voice actors anymore can presumably go forward, as the Directors Guild negotiated their contracts recently and are quite happy with their settlement. Any scheduled movies or shows already completed will still be released, but without any appearances by the actors to hype it up.

In addition to stopping any filming of any kind, union members can't give interviews, do podcasts, appear at premieres or publicity events (that means SDCC too), or basically do anything besides support the strike until some agreement with the Studios is reached to nail down their future streaming revenues and pay guarantees.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I don't know about that. A lot of writers and actors couldn't pay the bills just with their entertainment work before the strike. They were working in bars, restaurants, and grocery stores. I think the studios are going to feel some pressure to give some ground by late summer because once the fall TV season gets delayed, viewers start looking for something else to do. They go back to re-watching "Friends" or "Seinfeld" or old cooking or home improvement shows again or they give pickle ball a try. The down time has given me a chance to start catching up on "Archer." I've somwhow fallen at least two seasons behind.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I could be wrong, but this seems like a bad time for the unions to strike. The writers and actors are going to feel the short-term impact right away, many average members live paycheck to paycheck, while studios have plenty of content not released.

In addition, the cost of promoting films can add 20% or more to budget and expenses. A 300M film might cost $400M by the time the publicity tour is over and actors are generally paid in their contracts to do all required release promotions. Now the studios will be able to test how well films do without the cost of the tour. If they still make enough money because audiences don't stay away, they may find that less publicity is more profit in the end. They may also find that they don't need to win Emmy Awards or Oscars too.

On the other hand, union members who are losing pay daily may not be able to wait it out as long as the Studios and their fellow A-List members can afford to hold up a settlement.

Posts: 4415 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My cousin recently discovered that one of his neighbors was an actor who appeared in many different shows in the 1990s and 2000s usually in bit parts playing doctors and father figures. The guy told him that after 20 years he gave up as he could not make a living out of it. Sure enough looked him up on the IMDB.and this person did over 50 shows

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tommy C,

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Accordingly to Variety the new Mission Impossible grossed 80 M plus this weekend, making it a hit. Also, Jim Caviezel's Sound of Freedom is up to about 83 M and is predicted to cross the 100 M mark on its budget of 14 M.

Posts: 4721 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
Accordingly to Variety the new Mission Impossible grossed 80 M plus this weekend, making it a hit. Also, Jim Caviezel's Sound of Freedom is up to about 83 M and is predicted to cross the 100 M mark on its budget of 14 M.

Mission still has some road to travel to be a hit with a $291M budget but I think it will do ok. Sound of Freedom is close to hitting 6 times its budget on a domestic box office. It could end up being the most successful film of the year.

Posts: 4871 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Dreamworks' "Ruby Gillman", which came out 3 weeks ago in the theater and bombed, is already available for streaming.

Plus, The Flash is now available for viewing on some platforms, and it will be released on DVD and Blue Ray in Sept.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tommy C,

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
People are already making the rounds suggesting that Indiana Jones and The Flash (with Michael Keaton as Batman) failed because appealing to nostalgia, i.e. people who remember the original films back in the 1980s, is not enough.

If this is true, will Beetlejuice 2 share a similar fate in 2024 ?

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
People are already making the rounds suggesting that Indiana Jones and The Flash (with Michael Keaton as Batman) failed because appealing to nostalgia, i.e. people who remember the original films back in the 1980s, is not enough.

If this is true, will Beetlejuice 2 share a similar fate in 2024 ?

And yet Top Gun destroyed the box office. I personally hated it because it was nothing but a nostalgic choke fest.

I think most people wanted Jones and Flash to be a hit but bad writing and too much attention on special effects isn't going to recover a $200M+ budget.

I get the impression that they are taking better care of Beetlejuice 2 but time will tell.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
"Barbie" is going to be some kind of test of something. I think a lot of people will show up for the opening weekend just because its "Barbie" and the trailers looked amusing. Only now that reviews are revealing the storyline it seems like it's, OMG, a message movie. Big Grin

Since it was written and directed by Greta Gerwig this should have been expected. I just don't know if 7-year-olds expect it, or would even notice it the way adults will. So does that broaden the audience by satisfying everyone, or is it not enough of anything to satisfy anyone?

Don't know and won't be going anyway, my neighbor's kid wants to see "Elementals". She's 6 and doesn't own a "Barbie".

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I didn't read your post until after I saw the movie on Saturday. I'm going to comment on it so anyone who hasn't seen the movie yet should stop reading now...

...I liked it - better than the last one for sure. It was better than "Temple of Doom, which had a great opening sequence but went downhill from there though I liked the escape from the mine.

I thought the de-aging effect was very well-done and any critic of it was already aware that it had been done and was squinting hard to look for something to whine about.

I just followed the movie as it rolled without noticing that it was repeatedly calling to attention how old Ford is. The fact that he is old was a given before going to the theater.

I do understand why some people think that the Waller-Bridge character wasn't a great fit and it could be partly since the movie didn't have a love interest until the end that it's almost like we are blaming her. The story does reveal why there is no love interest early on. Her character in general is the same as any other who starts out being in it for the money but ends up wanting to do the right thing.

It did seem like the second to third quarter of it was slow. I sensed it in there somewhere.

It was great to see at least one of the other characters from "Raiders."

The DVD might be out by Halloween. Maybe it will have some cards.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Regarding "Dial of Destiny's" possible problems, these may be non-specific SPOILERS, so don't keep reading unless you have seen it or don't want to see it.

The beginning action sequence seems to be considered very good. This presents the problem that the movie hits its high point too early, and the rest of the action scenes don't measure up.

It is in that first action sequence that most of the Indy de-aging effects are used on his face. However, some viewers have noticed that his body moves and sounds like Harrison Ford in his 80's and they didn't buy it for a minute.

The screenplay goes to great lengths to keep acknowledging that Indy is too old for any of this stuff, as if that makes it reality. What it does is keep calling attention to what everyone already knows and is trying to ignor.

For some reason, I'm not sure why, Waller-Bridge seems to have a thankless part, and nobody likes her role. Maybe because Indy has no love interest for nearly all of this script, that part is just missing and lacks the humor it brought. Maybe Ford and Waller-Bridge just don't have screen chemistry together for any team pairing.

Finally everybody, including those who thought it was OK, think that it is too darn long. You can do an action movie with a bare bones plot in an hour and forty minutes. These films are all going over two and half hours and are not made any better because they add more set pieces, they just get boring and lose all their impact.

I really don't think this is a bad film. I think they spent too much money on it and fans would have been more satisfied with less.

Posts: 4415 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post