Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 72
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non-Sport Obituaries
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Ryan O'Neal went from TV in the 1960s to consecutive hit movies between 1970 and 1975. However, he never really found success after that and didn't make a comeback. In the later decades he was best known for being with Farrah Fawcett for 20 plus years and having a son with her.

Posts: 4014 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
"Tough Guys Don't Dance" from 1987 remains a hoot.

I liked him "The Main Event" with Streisand and "Partners" with John Hurt and of course, "Paper Moon" with his daughter. Pretty crazy that he had 500+ episodes of "Peyton Place" to his credit.

Posts: 3330 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
In the later decades he was best known for being with Farrah Fawcett for 20 plus years

As accomplishments go, that's a pretty good one.

Posts: 2216 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
He was good in a good movie, "Zero Effect" (1999).

quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Ryan O'Neal went from TV in the 1960s to consecutive hit movies between 1970 and 1975. However, he never really found success after that and didn't make a comeback. In the later decades he was best known for being with Farrah Fawcett for 20 plus years and having a son with her.

Posts: 4411 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Ryan O'Neal was never one of my favorite actors, but he did keep working in later years and he didn't embarrass himself doing utter garbage. I actually remember him last for a smaller recurring TV role on "Bones". It seemed like Fawcett was the one for him.

Posts: 10423 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Ryan O'Neal was never one of my favorite actors, but he did keep working in later years and he didn't embarrass himself doing utter garbage. I actually remember him last for a smaller recurring TV role on "Bones". It seemed like Fawcett was the one for him.

Bones! Thank you. Clap I don't remember seeing much of him from his younger years, neither does my mother, but I knew I'd seen him in relatively recent years, but I couldn't think what it was. Yeah, he was in several episodes of Bones.

Posts: 426 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Very sad news today, Andre Braugher, at only 61.

Rest in peace, sir.

Posts: 3330 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Very surprised to hear about Andre Braugher. Apparently he passed after just a short illness. Used to watch him every week in the 1990s on Homicide: Life on the Streets, although he left during the final seasons but returned for the TV film that wrapped the show up

Posts: 4014 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Actor Camden Toy died on Dec. 11, age 68.

Posts: 2216 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of spidergoblin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
Actor Camden Toy died on Dec. 11, age 68.

My favorite Buffyverse villain.

"nuff said"

"it traps,it kills,it eats....that's what a good spider does"
Alice Cooper

Posts: 10450 | Location: Lubbock,TX | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So now the death of Matthew Perry seems eerily similar to the death of Michael Jackson. I did not know that the acute effects of ketamine were even a thing but people who use anesthetics meant for surgery regularly, whether doctor prescribed or self-medicated, are not drug free and doing well mentally. I wish the press would stop deciding who they like and who they don't like and just report the truth. Perry must have been in a bad way and not getting the right help.

If this was done under a doctor's care, someone should be held accountable. If not, everyone's been lying. Either way Perry's luck ran out and it's a shame for what could have been.

Posts: 10423 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I wish the press would stop deciding who they like and who they don't like and just report the truth.

Oh wow! Yeah, the journalistic integrity ship as sailed many years ago. I can't watch most news stories without having more questions than answers.

When you say similar to Michael Jackson are you referring to the possibility of Perry having a doctor under his control when it came to prescription drugs? I guess I am missing the connection.

Posts: 4867 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
When you say similar to Michael Jackson are you referring to the possibility of Perry having a doctor under his control when it came to prescription drugs? I guess I am missing the connection.

Yes, apparently he was regularly administered scheduled IV infusions of ketamine as part of his therapy for anxiety and/or depression. He had done a lot of damage to his health already and he was definitely under constant medical supervision. However the ME has determined that the large amount of ketamine in his system when he died, along with some other meds, was not from his last IV session days before.

This stuff is called Special K on the street, and it's a sedative that is used as a hallucinogen. Whether he always did it recreational, or he got the idea from his doctors, is something we probably won't find out. Just like it's not really clear from the report if the drugs stopped his heart, or if he simply drowned because the ketamine made him lose consciousness, as it was designed to do, and he just so happened to be in a large tub of water at the time. That was pretty foolish all by itself and where were his handlers? Everybody just kept saying no drugs were found. So where did they go? Because they had to have been there, right?

Anyway the story will fade away quickly now because no doctor wants to be involved in this and his "friends" and the press are still saying he was drug free for the last 19 months of his life and are starting up foundations in his name. That's what he said in the book he wrote too, that he had rehabbed. I'm sure it was something that just wasn't within his control.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It is used for medical applications for humans and animals alike, but unfortunately, has also been illicitly used as a "party" drug for a long time, colloquially referred to as "Special K".

It appears Perry was given it properly for medical reasons as recently as a week and a half before he died, but the remains of it that were found in his stomach during the autopsy couldn't have been from that treatment, so he likely used it in the non-medical sense in the lead up to his death.

https://www.businessinsider.co...tamine-abuse-2023-12

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Actor Mike Nussbaum has passed away, age 99. My favorite role of his was "House of Games", but it has no cards. He was in "Men in Black," though.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Comedian Tommy Smothers died of cancer yesterday, age 86. He was a great comedian. It's a shame his mother always liked his brother Dick better.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Comedian Shecky Greene died today at age 97. He was in a couple episodes of "Combat":

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
He played a talking alien carrot on the original "Lost in Space."

Yeah, Shecky was on the talk shows in the 70's. I'm sorry he's gone too.

Posts: 4411 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aeolus14ummbra
posted Hide Post
Actually, Tybo (the carrot guy) was played by Stanley Adams.

Posts: 286 | Location: Dallas, TX USA | Registered: July 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aeolus14ummbra:
Actually, Tybo (the carrot guy) was played by Stanley Adams.

So I looked this one up, because a guy who played a carrot guy sounds funny, right? Turns out, not so much.

Stanley Adams died in 1977 at the age of 62. He committed suicide because of chronic pain from a back injury. I guess even a vegetable can't catch a break.

Happy New Year folks, at least the death toll for 2023 is finished and that's something good. Smile