Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ... 72
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non-Sport Obituaries
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
And Buck Trent, country musician and Hee Haw cast member, died on Oct. 9. He was 85.

Posts: 2216 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Phyllis Coates, the first actress to play Lois Lane, died on Oct 11 at the age of 96.

Posts: 4411 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4867 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4867 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2216 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Well, I guess the classic TV trio is completed by Suzanne Somers, who has passed away at 76.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/u...y-dies-76-rcna120514

Here's a couple of cards from the somewhat Suzanne-centric Topps "Three's Company" sticker set. She rose to fame on the series as Christmas "Chrissy" Snow, but left early on in the series run due to a contract dispute.

I'll remember her most fondly as Curt's mysterious dream girl in the white T-Bird in "American Grafitti", still one of the best movies ever made.

Here's also a couple of fun ones from Topps GPK, poking a little fun at Suzanne's wildly popular "Thighmaster" exercise apparatus.

Rest in peace, Suzanne...

Posts: 3330 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I think that Suzanne Somers must have been one of the first TV celebrities who became famous just for being a celebrity. There wasn't any reality TV shows when she came on with "Three's Company" and she really didn't hang around long on that show before she wanted more money. When you look at what she did afterwards as an actress, it wasn't that much and it certainly wasn't that good. That's not what made her a household name.

It was Home Shopping and that stupid Thigh Master. Big Grin

She was one of the first to create a shopping empire under her name. Many other semi-famous ladies followed after her model. I never cared for her brand very much, but she was everywhere on HSN and selling everything, until she got even too big for them because, yeah you guessed it, she wanted more money. She even organized cruises just for her fans. Wink

What she could have done with modern social media. Don't think all these branders now aren't aware of her legacy. They are still coping it with better tools. Somers was fighting her illness for a long time and I am sorry that she couldn't beat that too.

Posts: 10423 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I think she was more famous than you are giving her credit for. Three's Company was the number one rated show for a while, back in a three network era when that meant something. She had had solo covers on TV Guide, Us, People, and had been in Playboy.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
I think she was more famous than you are giving her credit for. Three's Company was the number one rated show for a while, back in a three network era when that meant something. She had had solo covers on TV Guide, Us, People, and had been in Playboy.

Well I'll reply, because you are misreading my post. She was a fantastic businessperson. She was one of the first TV celebrities to build her own product brand and sell it as the spokesman. She ruled on the Home Shopping Network for several years and made a fortune. When she left them she still sold on her own.

That's better than TV roles and magazine covers and Playboy. She trailblazed her brand before the Kardashians and all the social influencers. She was more famous than "Three's Company". That was just what got her started.

Posts: 10423 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I was responding to your "[Three's Company's] not what made her a household name." But in 1981, when she left the show, she _was_ a household name.
And "Suzanne Somers must have been one of the first TV celebrities who became famous just for being a celebrity." No, she became famous for being in one of the top shows on TV. She may have maintained her fame with the Thighmaster, but that would have never gone anywhere if she hadn't already been so well known.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Well at least we can agree that she was famous, and she is dead, so that's something.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
No arguments on that.

What struck me about her in later years was realizing how well she had played a ditz in Three's Company -- when she was just being Suzanne Somers, she was obviously the opposite of Chrissy, very intelligent and organized.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, "Three's Company" was huge. There was a point when Joyce Dewitt cut her hair and wore skimpier outfits or was that just a dream?

Somers had another hit, "Step by Step," which ran for 7 seasons in the 90's.

But yeah, some people knew her from the Thighmaster. She was part of that whole fitness craze back then which has continued off-and-on to this day with various people and products.

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
No arguments on that.

What struck me about her in later years was realizing how well she had played a ditz in Three's Company -- when she was just being Suzanne Somers, she was obviously the opposite of Chrissy, very intelligent and organized.

Posts: 4411 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I for one had never heard of her until seeing this obituary although I had heard of Three's Company but never seen it. This is not unusual as I have lots and lots of cards for films/movies and TV programmes I have never seen and some I had never heard of until the cards appeared. Thankfully I don't collect as much these days.

regards

John

Posts: 2122 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
I for one had never heard of her until seeing this obituary although I had heard of Three's Company but never seen it.John

That's funny because "Three's Company" was actually sourced from a British TV series called "Man About the House". People who remember watching it in its run are very nostalgic about it but in truth, if viewed through today's lenses, the premise of the show did not age well. It's not like "All in the Family", which was also based on British TV's "Till Death Us Do Part", where the episodes still have some relevance. Modern attitudes have passed "Three's Company" by and its also corny to watch, unless you are watching it fondly. Smile

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
She nailed it here, 50 years ago, and never looked back.

She had an amazing life. I could see Margot Robbie or someone like that winning an Oscar for playing her if someone ever comes up with a good script.

I'd like to see a John Ritter biopic, too.
Ritter WAS "Three's Company", but it took him AND Suzanne AND the Ropers (Norman Fell & Audra Lindley) to really get it going.

The storylines were largely mush, but Ritter's brilliant physical comedy, the pretty girls, the sleazy best friend, and the funny landlords nevertheless made for a good comic blend. And when the occasional need for pathos arose, Ritter could deliver that, too.

Posts: 3330 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I notice Lara Parker had died. I only know her from the film Race with the Devil, americans probably know her for tv things.

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here she is as Angelique on the Gothic soap opera, "Dark Shadows".

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I just read that Burt Young passed away on Oct 8.