Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non-Sport Obituaries
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
One more card for Cindy Morgan. It was funny in that "Caddyshack" scene when all the punks suddenly showed some decorum standing at attention while Lacie Underall approached the high dive.

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
Actress Cindy Morgan, probably best known for Caddyshack, has died at age 69.

Posts: 4407 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Actor Don Murray has died at 94.

Oscar nominated for "Bus Stop" opposite Marilyn Monroe. I loved seeing him in the "Twin Peaks" reboot of 6 years ago. He still cut a dashing figure, even well into his 80s.

He appears on some vintage issues in his younger days from the likes of Dutch Gum and Nu-Cards, but the Hollywood Walk of Fame ones are nice because they show some credits and usually a more recent picture. But with that set being 33 years old now, many of the people who were 50+ when it was issued, have passed on by now.

Rest in peace, Don Murray.

Posts: 3330 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
One more for Carl Weathers, showing him as Greef Karga from "The Mandalorian", a character he likely would've played again in the upcoming Mando/Grogu theatrical film.

Posts: 3330 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Actor William O'Connell has died on Jan 15. He was 94. He signed for a number of Star Trek sets.

Posts: 2216 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It was announced earlier today that Ian Lavender aged 77 has died, he was well known here in the UK for playing Private Pike in the sitcom Dad's Army. Cards were produced for Dad's Army by Primrose in 1973 and by Sporting Profiles in 2006, alas I don't have images from those two sets to hand I have found an image from the Butterworth & Son issue of a 2018 anniversary set of Playing cards with art/design by Nick Oldham.

Image featuring Ian Lavender
[IMG:left] [/IMG]

Back of the card

regards

John

Posts: 2122 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Country music artist Toby Keith died yesterday of stomach cancer, age 62. RIP.

Posts: 2216 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
An interesting article about Toby Keith. What a fine thing to do . . . .

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Actor Michael Jayston died yesterday, age 88. He has a number of signed cards as well.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
He had a great role as a Vulcan ambassador on "Star Trek: Enterprise" too, appearing across the show's run. I see there is an interview with him in which he talks about that character.

quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Reported by a family friend on the Starlog facebook page.

Posts: 4407 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here is a signed Michael Jayston card referred to by Bill:-

regards

John

Posts: 2122 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I don't know why Michael Jayston didn't become one of those international British stars like Michael Caine or Alec Guinness. I picked up one of his Doctor Who cards in the Signature Series because I remembered seeing him as the Tsar in "Nicholas and Alexandria" and I wanted his autograph. Even though that was a big picture in 1971, I can't recall seeing him in anything much afterwards.

I guess he kept his career going on stage and in British TV, but I wonder why he didn't make the transition to leading man? He was a good actor.

Posts: 10418 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
RIP Mojo Nixon, age 66, who has passed away while participating on an Outlaw Country ocean cruise. He did a show, closed the bar with other passengers, and died. Never a huge star, but a huge personality.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:

And British actress Glynis Johns also died yesterday, age 100. I hadn't realized that she was a living subject of a 1939 card. Is there anyone else alive who appeared on a 1930s card?

I was curious as to which set the card was issued in and fortunately today I received in the post a dealer's magazine that featured exactly the same image along with details of the issuer. The card was issued in C & T Bridgewater Ltd seventh series of 48 Film Stars issued in 1939. They issued at least 8 different series of Film Stars between 1932-39 with their biscuit products, the cards themselves are quite small from what I can make out and are plain backed with know indication of the issuer.

thank you Bill

regards

John

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
As Raven said elsewhere, Kenneth Mitchell has died from ALS.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Actor Charles Dierkop died on Sunday, age 87. He was in a favorite movie, "The Sting", but I knew him best from "Police Woman". In the first episode, a back-door pilot run as an episode of "Police Story" (in which 42 year old Angie Dickenson plays a rookie cop), Dierkop is trying to decided if Dickenson has what it takes to go undercover as a prostitute. He asks her if she knows what a "string of pearls" is. How in the world did that get by the censors?

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Actor Chris Gauthier died on Feb 23, age 48

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins

How in the world did that get by the censors?

A much bigger question is how did the public ever allow the censors to exist.

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Please, we have so much censorship on the various media platforms now, no one can even be sure what percentage of the truth they are getting, if any.

It was a lot better when all they wanted to cut out was nudity and bad language. Today's censors frame the story, dismiss what they don't like, enhance what they do like, and if all else fails, they just make it up. But it's all for your own good, don't you know? Big Grin

Posts: 10418 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:

A much bigger question is how did the public ever allow the censors to exist.

To keep people from talking about a "string of pearls" on TV. Obviously.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4863 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post