Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many exist?
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a card that was only vaguely familiar to me and weird enough to look into but then I couldn't find a listing for it in the Non-Sport Almanac nor Allender's site nor even in any of the old price guides from the mid-late 90's. It's near-identical to the metal card that was packed with the "Harley Davidson Collection" deluxe factory set (Skybox, 1994), which also included the 90-card base set, 4 foil-embossed cards, and 4 original iron-on patches. However, that factory set card is silver-colored (not made of silver) while this one is gold-colored and was sent only to dealers who ordered a large quantity of those factory sets.

It's a cool-looking card featuring one of the early motorcycle models and there might be as few as 100 - likely no more than 200 in existence. It's hard to say. No one seems to know how many were made but they rarely appear for sale. One longtime dealer told me the only ones he's seen for sale over the past several years are the few he has offered.

While looking for information on this card, I noticed that the NSU price guide from the June-July issue and Allender's site list 2 chromium promos for this set but I don't think I've ever seen those. PCE2008 lists only a serial-numbered 4-card sheet as a promo for the set. Does anyone have those 2 chromium promos?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4391 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
PCE2008 documented four 6-card promo sheets for the Sandman set (Skybox, 1994). I've seen another one online which contains base cards 25, 33, 41, 26, 34, and 42.

Posts: 4391 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
PCE2008 has a listing for Kayo Boxing promos - some of the ones that were specially-printed and released at the 1991 National. The Trading Card Database lists all of them.

https://www.tcdb.com/Checklist...991-Kayo-TheNational

There were additional promos I listed here back in 2015 (scroll down to the K's):

http://nonsportupdate.infopop....453/m/5707083576/p/2

In those notes I mentioned that there was a rumor that there were also Mike Tyson and Thomas Hearns cards printed for the National but those two were not inserted with the others in special promo packs (packs not marked as promotional but the boxes in which they were packed were marked as promotional). No one seems to know why they were pulled. Back in 2015 (and since) I looked for images of the cards but didn't find any. Jump to a couple of days ago... I was checking to see what Kayo promos were available and spotted not just one listing each for the cards but several in the past month and a half including some sales.

Most of the cards that have been available have been graded. Sellers have been asking hundreds of dollars (and a couple of graded ones have sold in the $500-900 range) but one ungraded Tyson card went for something under $295 (around $250?) on June 16. Two graded Hearns cards sold in the $145-200 range - even one graded as Excellent.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Among the promos listed for DC Milestone: the Dakota Universe (Skybox, 1993), PCE2008 lists an M2 foil embossed chase card that has a special sticker on the back that says "THANK YOU FOR MAKING MILESTONE A GREAT SUCCESS!" It was apparently sent to dealers who ordered a lot of product. You could call it a promo (or at least group it with promos) since it was a giveaway sort of promoting the set after the fact. Todd probably listed it because he knew it would not likely be listed elsewhere.

It turns out the M1 foil embossed chase card (both the M1 and M2 were inserted one-per-box) was also sent out with the sticker. It's another case of a card from a set being repurposed and arguably considered a variant. Some collectors might say the card is ruined with the sticker - no longer could be graded "Mint"- while others want it because it's another version of the chase card. I've never seen the M2 with the sticker and only one of the M1. Are they rare or just overlooked?

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
PCE2008 lists seven of the cards known from the "Cool Coral Reefs" set (Johnson Grossfield, Inc., 1995). You don't see these cards offered very often but they are not in big demand. I've seen only singles and a couple of multi-card lots for sale - never a full set. Here are two cards (#1 and 4) that are not listed.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's one with Spanish text:

quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
PCE20008 listed the "Space Jam" movie 7-card set (Kellogg Company/Warner Bros., 1996) that was inserted one card per box of Kellogg's cereals in Germany. A friend there sent me a couple of cards a few years later. A set was difficult to assemble by that time because cards hardly ever appeared for sale.

More cards have shown up recently and it is more widely known that they were not only released in other countries but they were done in multiple languages. The card below bears text in French and German - one of a set released in Switzerland where both languages are spoken. I have seen cards in Spanish and Portuguese as well.

Years ago, these cards went for $2 each and then they drifted more in the $3-5 range occasionally going for a little more. This year, with the weird jump in interest in trading cards especially those with Michael Jordan on them, they have been selling consistently for $10-20.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I've noted this card in the Non-Sports vs. Sports thread but I'm including it here as well since PCE2008 lists the PM Cards promos but not the prototype which I had not known of until recently.

One thing I noticed is that while PM Cards made a number of sports cards but this prototype shows a guy in a catcher's uniform but it's a generic one with the team said to be the "Phoenix Stars," which doesn't exist and I doubt has ever existed. Having a catcher on the front named "Ken Katcher" made me think the company hadn't been able to secure permission to have an actual pro player on it by the time they wanted the prototype given out.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
PCE2008 lists 14 different promos for the "Toxic Babes" set (Edition Quasimodo, 1995). Here's an unlisted, unnumbered promo that the German artist, Oliver Wunsch, used as a business card even with it being larger than a standard business card. It's actually standard trading card size at 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 inches.

This is one of the lesser-known "Toxic Babes" promos since it wasn't as widely distributed as the 9-card sepia-toned and 4-card clear acetate subset.

As an additional note, PCE2008 lists an unnumbered promo printed in black and white with the same art as card 2 of 4 from the clear acetate subset but I have seen this item. It's not a card - actually a slip of paper with the art on one side and advertising for the "Toxic Babes" boxed factory set on the other.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
PCE2008 lists 19 promos for Felix III: Bad Girls & Good Guys but there are more. Here's an unnumbered promo with the same front as card 1 of 14 from the regular set. The back provides a 1996 schedule of collectibles shows in Germany and also promotes the Felix III set. This is a lesser-known promo in the U.S. because it was never released here.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Another unnumbered Felix promo. This one has the same front as card 6 of 14 from the set. The back promotes a shopping center in Germany (a business similar to Goodwill in the U.S., I think, selling used furniture, appliances, and other goods). This promo was also never released in the U.S. and I hadn't known of it until a couple of months ago. I've been told that there were 16-18 different ones of these (art from each of the Felix III cards plus at least a couple I haven't seen) but I was able to obtain just 4 of them.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
And another unnumbered promo with the same front as card 1 of 14 from the Felix III set, this one spoofing Indiana Jones. The back has a 1996 schedule of collectibles shows in Germany and also promotes a German comic book shop. It's a Felix promo that wasn't released in the U.S.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
One more unnumbered Felix promo with the same front as card 1 of 14 from the Felix III set, this one spoofing Indiana Jones. The back has a 1996 schedule of collectibles shows in Germany and also promotes three comic book stores. It wasn't released in the U.S. either.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
PCE2008 has an entry for an X-Men set (Marvel Characters, Inc., 1998) with one card, "Rogue," listed. It's described as having been distributed in Cap'n Crunch cereal boxes in Mexico with Spanish and English text on the back. I've seen at least one other from the set and it is actually a 4-card set with the cards having a peel-away sticker on top of the card and both having identical artwork as noted on the abs-cards.net website (a treasure trove of Marvel card info).

Not listed in PCE2008 but listed at abs-cards.net is a Canadian variant of the set. The cards have the same artwork but have French and English text on the back.

It's tough to find either variant set for sale. Singles are occasionally seen for sale on the auction sites.