Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ... 70
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non-Sport Obituaries
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Tom Sizemore has died. I know he was in bigger films, but if you like the monsters as I do, check out one he did in 1997 called "The Relic". A disjointed film with a few really nice scenes and good chemistry among the cast.

He worked throughout his life, but his personal problems cost him dearly and he didn't achieve the career he could have had. RIP Mr. Sizemore.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
Has Sizemore died? Or are you just trying to beat the rush?

I saw yesterday that he is in hospice care, but haven't seen that he's actually passed on yet.

Heard it from a source that most likely heard it from the family and knew what they were going to decide. It wasn't until after I posted that I realized nothing was official but inevitable. So I left it but didn't post it anywhere else.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Meanwhile Julian Sands is still missing up in the mountains since January 13th. I think he's gone.

I think you are correct.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I remember him most from Saving Private Ryan in 1998. That had a cast of other 90s stars like Jeremy Davies and Ed Burns who seemed to be on the verge of big things but I dont think their careers took off like expected

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
I remember him most from Saving Private Ryan in 1998. That had a cast of other 90s stars like Jeremy Davies and Ed Burns who seemed to be on the verge of big things but I dont think their careers took off like expected

But then there was Vin Diesel. Wink

Kind of a similar role in Black Hawk Down...also liked him in Heat.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Sort of off topic, but I wonder why Ed Burns never became a big star. He starred in and directed those numerous indy Irish American films in the 90s. I distinctly recall seeing The Brothers McMullen in the theaters in 1995. But after the 90s it seems as if he just gravitated towards TV and that he hasn't done anything significant over the past 20 years plus.

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Ed Burns is a Director, Producer, Screenwriter and Actor. That's a lot of things to be. He has concentrated on mainly his own independent projects and, when he did act in something else, it has been usually small roles. He is in his 50's now, so leading man days are probably gone.

Maybe his idea of success just wasn't that big commercial career.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe his idea of success just wasn't that big commercial career.

Yup! Plenty of well known celebs opting out for smaller popularity circles and doing just fine. It can be easy to get the wrong perception that their careers are in the toilet.

Kind of think of Bon Jovi who makes music that no one listens to (at least by his former standards) but still wins a Grammy and can sell out arenas whenever he feels like doing so.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Actor Chaim Topol died today, age 87. Mostly known for "Fiddler on the Roof."

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
For years, he was known just as "Topol." I actually remember him best for "For Your Eyes Only." I've seen that movie at least 40 times. I've seen "Fiddler on the Roof" just once.

"I would laugh if my heart was not so heavy about my poor Lisl."

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
And dat's da name o' dat tune...

In addition to the tough as nails Baretta, as shown, he was also Mickey on "The Little Rascals" as a little kid. (He had to be one of the last of those still going. His final film role was in David Lynch's "Lost Highway" from 1997 and he was creepy as heck.)

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
For years, he was known just as "Topol." I actually remember him best for "For Your Eyes Only." I've seen that movie at least 40 times. I've seen "Fiddler on the Roof" just once.

How many times have you seen him in his other best known movie: 'Flash Gordon' Big Grin That is certainly the one I have seen most often that he starred in. Sad to hear he is gone.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:

In addition to the tough as nails Baretta, as shown, he was also Mickey on "The Little Rascals" as a little kid. (He had to be one of the last of those still going. His final film role was in David Lynch's "Lost Highway" from 1997 and he was creepy as heck.)

Sorry, this guy was an ultra-creep. Although acquitted of murder, still a shady guy.

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I've seen that "Flash Gordon" all the way through just once but have caught parts of it a few times. Yeah, some people are going to remember him best for that.

quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:

How many times have you seen him in his other best known movie: 'Flash Gordon' Big Grin That is certainly the one I have seen most often that he starred in. Sad to hear he is gone.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
He always seemed like a guy who didn't put up with too much and maybe he had an attitude problem/short fuse or maybe he was just a guy who liked to buck the system. I remember Johnny Carson kept bringing him on "The Tonight Show" even after he might've burned a bridge or two elsewhere.

quote:
Originally posted by Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane:
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:

Sorry, this guy was an ultra-creep. Although acquitted of murder, still a shady guy.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
One of the daughters of his wife, who infamously had been brutally murdered while sitting in Blake's car just as he went back into a restaurant they'd dined at (to get, of all things, his gun), remained deathly afraid of him until, well, yesterday, I guess. At least she can finally breathe easy.

Has anyone checked on O.J.?

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
If I recall, the reason why Blake was found not guilty at trial was because his wife was a bit of a "grifter", and his lawyers successfully convinced the jury that she had many enemies. She did have 9 ex-husbands and several aliases, so these two made for quite a pair.

Also just like O.J., Blake lost in the civil case. I'm waiting for Amazon or Netflix to announce the miniseries.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I recall, the reason why Blake was found not guilty at trial was because his wife was a bit of a "grifter", and his lawyers successfully convinced the jury that she had many enemies. She did have 9 ex-husbands and several aliases, so these two made for quite a pair.

Also just like O.J., Blake lost in the civil case. I'm waiting for Amazon or Netflix to announce the miniseries.

You know it’s coming - the limited series. I, for one, will not miss him on this earth though.

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Given my very limited time of wrestling fandom I only knew the Bushwackers team up and none of their other names. Apparently Butch had health issues for roughly 20 years.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I barely know the names of wrestlers in the past 20 years, maybe just a couple of "champions". That's a pretty sad looking card to leave behind for Bushwacker Butch, who is someone I did not follow. I would guess it was supposed to fit in with his image. It's also one of the reasons I stopped collecting autographs of pro wrestlers. They all started to use "character" names and that's not a signature to me. But after it all became pure entertainment scripted soap opera, no one knew them as people anyway. Frown