Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ... 72
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non-Sport Obituaries
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite monster movies is "Deep Rising". Shame for it to be an accident that was caused by someone else, but some people might say he was doing what gave him joy. RIP Mr. Williams.

Posts: 10420 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
He was in a great WW2 movie -- "The Eagle has Landed."

Posts: 2216 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Marvel legend John Romita. 1930-2023.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mykdude,

Posts: 4864 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A sad day in the comic book world.

Posts: 4408 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Aside from Steranko, Sal Buscema and Larry Lieber, I think he was the last of the important Marvel 1960s artists still living (and I would say that he was the most important of them.)

Posts: 2216 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
The great Glenda Jackson, at age 87. Two Academy Award wins along with 3 Emmys and a Tony Award left her just the Grammy short of the so-called "EGOT", but she was just as highly accomplished, if not moreso, than most other people who actually attained it. Jackson was also a member of British Parliament for over 20 years for good measure.

Posts: 3330 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That is sad news. She was a great actress and I always liked "Hopscotch" (just saw the end of it again a couple of months ago). I think I saw it first when it ran on the local cable channel a year after it was released in theaters. It's a rather low-key, low-tech spy comedy with Sam Waterston and Ned Beatty as well with Matthau a master of disguise and deception. At one point, he busts out his Eleanor Roosevelt impression.

Now, I want that card.

Posts: 4408 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
If you liked Matthau in it, look up "Charley Varrick".

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I just read that Daniel Ellsberg has passed away at the age of 92. I had heard that he was receiving hospice care earlier this year.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Matthau was great. It's been so long since I've seen even part of "Charley Varrick." He was perfectly cast for so many well-played roles: "The Bad News Bears" and the original "The Taking of Pelham One, Two, Three," "Cactus Flower," and of course "The Odd Couple."

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
If you liked Matthau in it, look up "Charley Varrick".

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Actress Noreen Nash passed away on June 6, age 99. Here she is on a Topps Magic Photo card from 1948. How many folks live to see themselves on 75 year old cards?

Lyricist Sheldon Harnick, also age 99, passed on June 23. Here he is on a much more recent (2016) card.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Not too much of a shock but remains have been identified.

Posts: 4864 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Oscar winner Alan Arkin has died at 89. Looks like he had cards in the 1991 Rocketeer set. Sorry, I don't have scans.

Posts: 4013 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Oscar winner Alan Arkin has died at 89. Looks like he had cards in the 1991 Rocketeer set. Sorry, I don't have scans.

Here he is as Ambrose "Peevy" Peabody in that Topps "Rocketeer" card set.

A great actor. When I was a little kid, around 1981 or so, we had the Showtime Pay-TV service. They showed a satirical movie called "Simon" starring Alan Arkin constantly. I didn't understand most of the jokes in it then, but I saw it for the first time since then just a few years ago, and laughed plenty.

He was terrific as Yossarian in Mike Nichols' "Catch-22" based on the Joseph Heller novel, and of course held his own against the numerous other acting heavyweights in the classic "Glengarry Glen Ross". He was also in several movies from the "Boy, they sure don't name 'em like that anymore file" such as "Freebie and the Bean", "Rafferty and the Gold Dust Twins", & "Chu Chu and the Philly Flash".

Rest in peace, Alan Arkin.

Posts: 3330 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
Actress Noreen Nash passed away on June 6, age 99. Here she is on a Topps Magic Photo card from 1948. How many folks live to see themselves on 75 year old cards?

Interesting fact there!

Queen Elizabeth would be another, maybe Shirley Temple. It's probably pretty rare in non-sports,
and more commonly seen with baseball players on the cigarette cards of the early 20th century, players issued those official cards as young men who then lived into their 80's or 90's.

Christopher Walken, bless him, had a card when he was a child actor and he's just turned 80. The trick starts with living a very long life, sure, but even tougher was somehow getting pictured on a pre-1960 trading card of some kind as a young person. As time goes on, and we get to the era where a lot more people were pictured on various cards, it will become a lot more common for people to see cards of themselves issued 75+ years before.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
For Alan Arkin, the Cold War dated, but more than watchable, "The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming", is still amusing and unfortunately not far enough behind us. Carl Reiner was the star, but Arkin had the role of the sensible Russian submarine officer in his first big part and was Oscar nominated. The start of a terrific career. RIP.

Posts: 10420 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Bluegrass musician died June 27, age 91. I got to see him a few years ago.

He popularized "Rocky Top," the UT Vols fight song, an anthem for folks like me.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Waitaminute...Utah is in Alabama?

I kid, I kid.
Great shot of the duo on that card.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Catching up on some dead folks . . .
Movie director Bert I. Gordon. Died March 8, 2023. 100 years old.

Politician Pat Schroeder. Died March 13, 2023. 82 years old.

Actor Norman Reynolds. Died April 6, 2023. 89 years old.

Murderer Juliet Hulme. Died April 10, 2023. 84 years old.

Politician Gloria Molina. Died May 14, 2023. 74 years old.

Spy Robert Hanssen. Died June 5, 2023. 79 years old.

Actress Betta St. John. Died June 23, 2023. 93 years old.

Actor Nicolas Coster. Died June 26, 2023. 89 years old.

Elvis's girlfriend Anita Wood Brewer. Died June 29, 2023. 85 years old.

Actress Andrea Evans. Died July 9, 2023. 66 years old.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
1926-2023