Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hits and Misses of 2023
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Think how many of these female pop singers have come and gone over the past 20 years and have struggled to remain relevant while being replaced with younger stars: Britany Spears, Miley Cyrus, etc.

Posts: 4017 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
In my area, Swift sold out Levi's Stadium (49ers home field) a few months ago but then so did at least one other singer. Swift will always have a following but the money does stop pouring in at some point because somebody new with the hot new sound pops up and becomes the big deal. It happened to Aretha Franklin, John Denver, well, everybody actually, but sometimes, some like the Queen of Soul got a comeback later.

I'm not speaking so much about the performer. We do tend to get into a mindset that once we don't see or hear from someone in a long time the they must be "struggling". Far from it, they just learned how to move around away from the spot light. Taylor could easily finish this tour, go away forever and be just fine...be 90 years old and get royalty checks.

I'm talking more of how much we as a culture (in a supposed hurting economy) can crank out this kind of money for such things. You just can't shake the feeling that it's gotta hit a wall at some point.

Posts: 4871 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Taylor could easily finish this tour, go away forever and be just fine...be 90 years old and get royalty checks.

Taylor Swift is a billionaire. Even if she never makes another dime, she could burn through a million bucks a month (that's $30k a day) for the rest of her life, and still pass on a fortune to her heirs.

Posts: 2218 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm talking more of how much we as a culture (in a supposed hurting economy) can crank out this kind of money for such things. You just can't shake the feeling that it's gotta hit a wall at some point.

It's a generational thing and no matter how old they may get, collectively the generation is going to stay the same on average for whatever demographic you are researching within that generation. They aren't going to grow out of Taylor Swift, any more than we have grown out of our favorite singers or bands, unless she changes or stops.

And her fans will find the money, even if they can't pay the rent. Now that we didn't do, but they don't believe in walls, so how can they hit them? Big Grin

Posts: 10426 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
A review for "The Marvels" just turned up in today's paper with zero stars. Now I'm almost tempted to see it. Big Grin

Posts: 10426 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It appears that The Marvels will gross about 50 to 55 K this weekend, but it cost 220 K to make.

Posts: 4017 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
It appears that The Marvels will gross about 50 to 55 K this weekend, but it cost 220 K to make.
I bet they wish it had only cost $220K rather than the $220M they actually spent Big Grin

Posts: 1530 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Sorry, typo there ! I meant 220 M and 50 to 55 M.

Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
My daughter and I saw The Marvels on Thursday.
It was not a zero star but not a 4 star movie either.
The critical issues for me is that the story was all over the place and a lackluster villain.

My daughter (age 13) liked two scenes and was bored by the rest.

Posts: 5777 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Taylor Swift is up to 172.5 M and just passed Mission Impossible. Indiana Jones is only 2 M away from being next to fall. Who would have thought ?

Posts: 4720 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Marvels didn't even break $100M world wide. By comparison Five Nights at Freddy's crushed this MCU entry in its first weekend on less than 1/10 of the budget.

Posts: 4871 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
One of my relatives went to the Swift concert. I don't know where she got the money for that and she was able to get the t-shirt or jacket (or whatever it was) and that wasn't cheap. Kids swarmed the souvenir stand with all kinds of money to spend. I guess if you're not paying rent and have even just a part-time job, you can kick out the $500 for the ticket and another $100 for the jacket. Maybe you don't get the latest phone this year.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
In my area, Swift sold out Levi's Stadium (49ers home field) a few months ago but then so did at least one other singer. Swift will always have a following but the money does stop pouring in at some point because somebody new with the hot new sound pops up and becomes the big deal. It happened to Aretha Franklin, John Denver, well, everybody actually, but sometimes, some like the Queen of Soul got a comeback later.

I'm not speaking so much about the performer. We do tend to get into a mindset that once we don't see or hear from someone in a long time the they must be "struggling". Far from it, they just learned how to move around away from the spot light. Taylor could easily finish this tour, go away forever and be just fine...be 90 years old and get royalty checks.

Posts: 4415 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The Marvels is a fantastic superhero film, such a shame it's doing so poorly.

Posts: 1573 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Marvel has no films being released in 2024 other than Deadpool 3. Maybe they are rethinking things ?

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Marvel has no films being released in 2024 other than Deadpool 3. Maybe they are rethinking things ?

You sure? There has been some rescheduling, but last I saw there was still 4 in 2024, including Deadpool and a late Venom.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Marvel Studios has no films aside from Deadpool 3.

Sony (Columbia Pictures) has Kraven the Hunter and Madame Web, 2 Spider-Man spin offs.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I think a huge problem for Marvel now is that they took their success with Avenger films and tried to interconnect it to the whole Marvel Cinematic Universe, all based apparently on the comic books canon. I keep seeing these stories after each movie and streaming TV show about how they are filling in holes or explaining events that happened in other movies or TV shows to other Marvel characters in the MCU. The crossovers and cameos between characters and plot points is regarded as highlights to the stories.

The question is, does the greater public who hasn't been treating comics like history books, care? Yes, there has been an oversaturation of superheroes in entertainment, but its more than that. These movies are being treated as though they are made to be teaching moments. These fictional characters are following some sort of fixed arcs that keep changing based on their relationship to the MCU, which in turn is being treated as history. The DC universe is doing the same thing.

All this when many fans of the MCU and DC may not know actual world history from the look of real things. It's pretty funny in a Bizarro kind of way, as long as it doesn't make your head explode of course. But then you're not a fan if that happens. Big Grin

Unfortunately, even moderate failure will not stop the onslaught, since they have a backlog of these projects all lined up and jockeying for release.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
By next week, The Top 10 Domestically of 2023 will officially be:

1) BARBIE
2) SUPER MARIO BROS.
3) SPIDER MAN ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE
4) GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 3
5) OPPENHEIMER
6) THE LITTLE MERMAID
7) ANT MAN 3
8) JOHN WICK 4
9) SOUND OF FREEDOM
10) TAYLOR SWIFT

No more Indiana Jones...

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That's three movies of the top ten that aren't sequels, remakes, or adaptations of existing franchises. Don't see that very often.

Posts: 2218 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Don't you mean 4-- Barbie, Oppenheimer, Sound of Freedom and Taylor Swift ?