Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hits and Misses of 2024
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Yeah...never heard of Lisa Frankenstein until I saw it on the weekend box office. I guess it has some connection to the world of Jennifer's Body. Which has me somewhat interested.

Posts: 4867 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
The only connection to "Jennifer's Body" is the writer, Diablo Cody, who has been hanging around solely by her "Juno" reputation. Without the small fuss over Fox, there wasn't much in "Jennifer's Body" to recommend it either.

"Lisa Frankenstein" is supposed to be a horror/comedy/romance with 80's music and a fun take on necrophilia. It was made for only 13M and the unknown star looks like she is channeling a young Madonna/Lauper combo. It is the rare movie where even the trailer looks terrible.

On Super Bowl weekend it's usually slow at the movies, but this was worse. Not sure there will be anything bigger until "The Fall Guy" opens. Don't know how well "Madame Webb" will do as a Valentine entry. It looks like a bunch of Marvel/DC shows that are just streaming in your living room.

Posts: 10425 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
a fun take on necrophilia.

When I woke up today, I sure didn't expect to run across this phrase.

How Megan Fox's Jennifer's Body Officially Became A Cinematic Universe

Posts: 2216 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Apparently the new Spider-Man spin-off, Madame Web, which opens this week, is getting bad reviews.

Posts: 4016 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I actually like Dakota Johnson generally and I was thinking of seeing "Madam Webb", even though I've stayed away from these DC/Marvel films for a while now.

But when I caught the trailer with "Argylle", it looked like the Marvels without superpowers. Just a load of "I can see five seconds into the future", good for you. And then there are these 3 juvenile delinquents being chased around by a bad guy, who need both saving and mentoring. Not necessarily in that order. Big Grin

This is just going to be a bridge story to something else and I'm not crossing the bridge, so I'm not bothering with it.

Posts: 10425 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Of course we are about to have another sanitized formula music biopic for Bob Marley.

These things would be much more interesting if they just told the brutal truth. At least Baz had the decency to make up Elvis as he went along and then put him in context where you knew it.

Posts: 4867 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It will be interesting to see how Madame Web does this weekend. It made 6 M on Weds.

Posts: 4016 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
It will be interesting to see how Madame Web does this weekend. It made 6 M on Weds.

I think as word of mouth gets out it will do worse. This is a character that I never heard about, so that could make for a good origin movie if you don't know what's coming. However now that the story is out, while I wouldn't know how faithful it is to the comics, it doesn't seem like there is much joy in it. Not to me anyway.

Can't explain without spoilers, so I'll leave it there.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Of course we are about to have another sanitized formula music biopic for Bob Marley.

It's doing even better than predicted and will take the top spot this weekend. It has his music and poor competition, so an emphasis on facts is optional. Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:

It's doing even better than predicted and will take the top spot this weekend. It has his music and poor competition, so an emphasis on facts is optional. Big Grin

Agreed. For me the REAL drama was a dude who had 11 kids with 7 different women and 3 different men. Two of those kids were born in the same month of the same year and another was born with his wife one month prior. Now THAT would be a movie!!!

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I think you mean he adopted a few, because 11 kids with 7 different women is easy, but 3 different men is hard. Big Grin

Obviously, fidelity was not one of Marley's stronger points. Wink

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
One Love is a huge hit, grossing over 51 M domestically since its debut. Madame Web has flopped, making only 25 M.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
For me the REAL drama was a dude who had 11 kids with 7 different women and 3 different men.

He outranks Eddie Murphy (10 kids by 5 women).

Posts: 2216 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Well if it's a contest, Nick Cannon has had 12 kids with 6 different women. He will probably win since he will surely have more. It seems to be his goal in life to replicate as often as possible.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I think you mean he adopted a few, because 11 kids with 7 different women is easy, but 3 different men is hard. Big Grin

But of course. ;-P Just trying to imagine this mans life between April and May of 1972 could have been a full on comedy!

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Saw Bee Keeper last night. Another insult to the IT field film which finds Clair Huxtable in a hacking situation that could NEVER happen. Of course John Wi.....I mean the Bee Keeper is activated with a vengeance that only could rise from the boogey man.

Have to admit the Bee Keeper link is really weak but the characters were fun and overall I enjoyed the movie. I am sure we will see a sequel.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Ouch! The box office looks brutal even anime is struggling.

At least #8 Beekeeper passed the $150M global box office.

Here comes Dune to shake things up!

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised by the better than estimated box office opening for "Dune 2" of 81.5M, but I shouldn't be because I am more than aware that I can't call these big hits anymore. I can kind of still see the train wrecks coming, but not the popular wave movies, and that's what this one is. Why? A few reasons really.

It has hot young stars in Chalamet, Zendaya, Butler and Pugh. It is a big budget sci-fi movie based on a mystic leaning book that everyone has heard about, if not necessarily read. As the second entry, the slower story has been set up and we can have more action. It has almost no decent competition in the theatres. It's better weather and people want to get out, assuming you're not stuck in the blizzard in CA.

Why I don't care is also simple. I read "Dune" so long ago that I was still in school. I saw the flawed Lynch movie and the mini-series. I saw Star Wars and that certainly borrowed. I didn't see "Dune Part 1" so I don't need to see Part 2. I don't care about young hot stars. And finally, although this is a bit of a spoiler so don't read it if you don't want to know, "Dune 2" ends exactly where Lynch's "Dune" ended.

That means the cliff hanger ending bleeds right into what would be the next book treatment of "Dune Messiah", where we would go even farther down the rabbit hole of what is the Dune universe. If faithful, it's not Star Wars. Nor is it something the casual viewer would care to continue to watch, but that's just my opinion, which has already proven to be wrong. Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
My theory is the first one didn't do so well but "they" have been telling us how great it is over the past 3 years.

To be fair Dune did have some good after theater run numbers in streaming and rentals.

I didn't hate the first one and I am glad I saw it on the big screen.....I just didn't like it enough to watch it again since.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The director and two the actors from "Dune 2" appeared on the Colbert late night show last week. The director, Denis Villeneuve, announced he will be directing "Dune 3."

I haven't read any of the "Dune" books and haven't seen the movies but have friends who read them and are big Herbert fans. They liked Dune 1 and I've heard that people who read the book thought the movie was good-great. People have said that Lynch's problem was that it just wasn't possible in the 80's to put the book on the screen. Those who read the book tended to dislike it but it also appears that you had to have read the book to be among those who did like it. You had to know the story and the details already to appreciate at least parts of how it did come out.

In the mid-90's, George Lucas tinkered with the first three "Star Wars" movies, adding or editing scenes with new special effects to get closer to his own original vision of each movie.

Posts: 4411 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post