Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hits and Misses of 2024
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
I did see Alien Romulus about 3 weeks ago in the theater and really liked it.

I thought the early trailers were not very good but the last couple got my attention. Nothing all that original going on (I mean c'mon it's Alien) and it pulls ideas from across the series. To be fair the writers/producers admit that is what they did.

Usually this would annoy me but they manage to package it into a good time at the movies. The claustrophobic feel that made the first movie work is brought back big time. The lead synthetic is of a different sort and they certainly picked the right actor.

If we take the budget into account (Prometheus cost $50M more to make) Romulus is only about $38M apart from Prometheus box office numbers.

Not bad for a movie that was headed straight to Hulu.

Posts: 4987 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Looking at what the Top 10 domestic films of 2024 are so far, it is clear who the winners and losers are in terms of the studios.

As Disney bought 20th Century Fox, we can consider that to be one studio.

WINNERS

Disney (3 films): Inside Out, Deadpool, Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes

Universal (3 films): Despicable Me 4, Twisters, Kung Fu Panda 4

Warner Bros. (3 films): Dune 2, Godzilla vs. Kong, Beetlejuice 2

LOSERS

Sony/Columbia. Only hit was Bad Boys, and outside of the Top 10, Ghostbusters and Garfield

Paramount Pictures. Had only 3 films in the Top 20. A Quiet Place, IF and Bob Marley. I guess they wish Tom Cruise would have another TOP GUN

MGM didn't have any Top 20 hits.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: David R,

Posts: 4793 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Sony Columbia released It Ends with Us.

Pulled in a world wide box office of $325M on a budget of $25M. Will be hard pressed to find a film that made 13x its budget.

Still at number 8 this weekend after 6 weeks.

A Quiet Place Day One made $139M on a $67M budget domestically. $261M globally. Longlegs made $74M on a budget of less than $10M.

I think budget should be taken into consideration to tell how well a movie is doing for a particular studio. There are plenty of top 10 films that don't make any money domestically.

Twisters cost $155M to make and GxK claims a budget somewhere between $155 and $200M. Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes rolls in at $167M.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mykdude,

Posts: 4987 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Beetlejuice 2 about to hit 190 M domestically.

It will soon pass Bad Boys, Kung Fu Panda, and Godzilla v. Kong.

Posts: 4182 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The animated "Transformers One" comes out today.

Will be interesting to see how it does.

This is the eighth Transformers film since 2007, the last one being Rise of the Beasts in 2023 which grossed only 157 M domestically.

Posts: 4182 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
According to reports, Beetlejuice unexpectedly beat Transformers this weekend. It is now #1 for the third week, up to about 225 M domestically. Transformers only made 25 M, less than anticipated.

Posts: 4793 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Alien Romulus breaks IMAX record. Like I said before, not bad for something that was scheduled for direct to stream service.

https://screenrant.com/alien-r...horror-movie-record/

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Opening this weekend, Francis Ford Coppola's "Megalopolis" with Adam Driver, which is not expected to do well. Cost 120 M plus to make.

Plus the kids' film "The Wild Robot"

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Megalopolis FLOPPED, making 4 M. Another Adam Driver bomb.

Beetlejuice is up to 250 M domestically. If it can make another 30 M it might pass Dune and become the # 3 film of the year.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
People are not having high expectations for Joker: Folie a Deux which opens today, despite the presence of Lady Gaga.

They are predicting maybe a 50-60 M weekend gross.

Meanwhile, the animated Transformers has only made 41 M to date domestically.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
As mentioned above, Inside Out 2 has become the 8th highest grossing film of all time worldwide.

It only needs about 450 K to pass 2015's Jurassic World to become the #10 of all time, here in the United States. Not sure if it can reach that goal.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Critics and audiences don't seem very happy with it.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It appears the Joker made less than 50 M this weekend which is a disaster. The original opened at 96 M. And this one cost at least 200M to make.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Apparently, the "Folie à deux", or "madness of two" referred to making two of these movies.

Posts: 3371 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Beetlejuice will pass Twisters this week to become the # 5 film of 2024 at the domestic box office.

It needs another 15 M to pass Dune to become # 4, which it will likely do.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Beetlejuice will pass Twisters this week to become the # 5 film of 2024 at the domestic box office.

It needs another 15 M to pass Dune to become # 4, which it will likely do.

World Wide and budget it is already killing Twisters.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
What upcoming sequels do you think will be hits ?

We have Venom 3 coming in late October and Gladiator 2 in November, 24 years after the Russell Crowe film was released.

Not sure if Kraven the Hunter (Spider-Man villain) coming in Dec will do well.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
What upcoming sequels do you think will be hits ?

We have Venom 3 coming in late October and Gladiator 2 in November, 24 years after the Russell Crowe film was released.

Not sure if Kraven the Hunter (Spider-Man villain) coming in Dec will do well.

I think Smile 2 and Terrifier 3 will do well as compared to budget costs. T3 is already getting publicity for people walking out in the first few minutes.

Previews for Gladiator 2 look good but not sure it will be a hit. I think it will at least break even. Moana 2 should do well. Y2K looks like a hilarious sleeper to me but I'm a computer guy so I am probably biased.

I don't think Kraven will do well and will go the way of Morbius. I am not sure about a return to Lord of the Rings Animated. Peter Jackson set the standard and The Rings of Power on Amazon is very good. So far Sonic has been a strong title....don't see any reason it should fail now.

Mufasa will probably do well but I have not seen anything Lion King since the first one. The whole "let's justify why he was a murdering douche bag" thing is not my thing. It would take some amazing talent and writing skill to bring Nosferatu to a hit status....I don't have that much faith in Hollywood. Hope they prove me wrong.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mykdude,

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Joker did even worse than expected. Didn't even hit 40 M its first weekend. Wow.

I think the DC Comics movies are D.O.A.

Not sure if even the upcoming Superman film will turn their fortunes around.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:

I think the DC Comics movies are D.O.A.

At least their sequels are. They simply can't capitalize on their solid titles. Can't wait to see the next Robert Pattinson Batman. Smokin'