Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Obituaries
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Right, Robertson wrote The Band's better-known songs, which used to be in the rotation on "easy rock" stations but may be obscure to those born after 1990. I like Rod Stewart's cover of his "Broken Arrow," the video of which was on MTV and had some rather odd imagery.

The local news didn't report his passing but CNN did. It's like when David Crosby died early this year. It's a huge loss to the music world and a big deal to those who made or bought records in the late 60's to 70's but the coverage now amounts to only a couple of sentences at most.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Another one that feels a little personal, Robbie Robertson of The Band has passed away at 80.

I really liked their music at the time when they were playing their hits and backing up with Dylan and other legends in the 70's. The first time I ever went to a movie theatre to see what was basically a concert film was for the terrific "The Last Waltz".

The Band busted up really badly and, unlike many other group break ups, they remained angry and never got back together again. Robertson still had a significant solo career, but more behind the scenes with movie scores, until like everyone else you didn't hear about him much.

Still, his music and his playing will remain. I'm happy to have the original LPs and listen to them occasionally. RIP Mr. Robertson, you were always the best looking one. Wink

Posts: 4400 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The UK's best known chat show host, Michael Parkinson, has died at the age of 88. Watching his interviews was a family activity on a Saturday night in my home when he was at his peak. He will be missed as there is no-one quite like him in the current generation of chat show hosts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/ent...inment-arts-12225132

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/ent...inment-arts-66430865

Posts: 1530 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Little House on the Prairie fans may remember Hersha Parady, who played Alice Garvey (the wife of Merlin Olsen's character) on the show from 1977 to 1980. She just passed at age 78.

After Little House, she guest starred on shows in the 1980s and 90s, but nothing over the past 25 years.

Posts: 4010 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I don't know if he is on any cards but game show host Bob Barker passed at age 99.

Posts: 4718 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Legendary Chicago Bears (NFL) linebacker, Dick Butkus passed away on October 5 at the age of 80. I include him in the thread because he also acted in movies and television. I don't think he's on a non-sports card. Here's an art card of him as a commentator.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4400 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Jean Knight, who sang "Mr. Big Stuff", has died at age 80.

The song went to # 2 on the Billboard charts in 1971. It was her only Top 40 hit.

Posts: 4010 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Kool & The Gang co-founder and multi-instrumentalist, George "Funky Brown" passed away on November 17. He was with them during their days of great commercial success and the thin times too.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Frances Sternhagen passed away on November 27 at the age of 93. Some people know her best from Broadway/off-Broadway plays; others remember her as Cliff Clavin's mom on "Cheers." She appeared in so many things but I know her best from "Outland," the sci-fi version of "High Noon" starring Sean Connery.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I didn't hear about Frances Sternhagen's passing. She settled into being a great character actress long ago, even when she was still young. The last main thing I can remember seeing her in was the recurring role of Brenda's mother in "The Closer".

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
One of the all-time giants of television production, Norman Lear, passed away at the age of 101 on Dec 5. The two shows of his I watched the most were probably "All in the Family" and "Sanford and Son" with "The Jeffersons" next.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
David Soul of "Starsky and Hutch" fame has died at age 80.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Actor Peter Crombie has passed away at 71. He has quite a few credits, but his name may not be too familiar. For Seinfeld fans his face is. He is best known for having played "Crazy Joe Davola" in a character arc covering several memorable episodes, including the one with the Pagliacci Clown outfit. I have seen that show numerous times in reruns and it's still funny. A fitting tribute of sorts I guess, RIP Mr. Crombie.

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Sad day. It's just another reminder that at least one "Seinfeld" card set should've been done near the end of its run or soon after when nearly all the actors/actresses (especially ones in multiple episodes) were still alive. They had lost Lloyd Bridges by then. So many are gone now. Yeah, they could still do it but we have to sigh and wonder what could have been.

That's gold, Jerry! Gold!

quote:
Actor Peter Crombie has passed away at 71. He has quite a few credits, but his name may not be too familiar. For Seinfeld fans his face is. He is best known for having played "Crazy Joe Davola" in a character arc covering several memorable episodes, including the one with the Pagliacci Clown outfit. I have seen that show numerous times in reruns and it's still funny. A fitting tribute of sorts I guess, RIP Mr. Crombie.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Joyce Randolph, for many many years the last surviving primary member of the classic "The Honeymooners" has died at 99. There were only 39 original episodes to the 1955-'56 series, and you can still see all of them every New Year's Eve in some places. Trixie hardly ever got the joke lines on the show, but she had Ed Norton. Smile

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Anna Strasberg died a few days ago at the age of 84, but I just read about it now. This is just one more sad chapter in the sad story of Marilyn Monroe's life and death.

For those that don't know, having few people that she felt close to, Monroe left her Estate to her acting coaches and friends, Lee and Paula Strasberg. Paula died about 4 years later. Lee Strasberg married Anna, his junior by 37 years, two years later. When he died in 1982, she got everything.

Marilyn didn't intend it, but that's where all the licensing rights and her personal stuff wound up. Anna Strasberg auctioned off Monroe's memorabilia and clothing. She controlled the Estate until she sold the whole thing to some conglomerate in 2010 and got 20 - 30M for it.

Not too bad a windfall for someone Monroe never even met. But for Marilyn, it seems like it was just her luck to not even get that much right.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:

Marilyn didn't intend it,

If I read your post right, Monroe intended for Lee Strasberg to inherit the estate, and that's exactly what happened.

Posts: 2213 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
quote:

Marilyn didn't intend it,

If I read your post right, Monroe intended for Lee Strasberg to inherit the estate, and that's exactly what happened.

You are correct but his wife was Paula at the time, who was also her friend, and she left it to both. Unfortunately, Paula passed away only a couple of years after Marilyn and Lee Strasberg quickly picked up a young wife, who ultimately became the controller and beneficiary of Marilyn's Estate.

So I would venture to say that Marilyn did not intend that to happen. In fact, if you listen to what Lee's daughter, the late actress Susan Strasberg said, she expressed the exact same sentiment. Of course she was talking about Marilyn, who she knew well, and her stepmother, who she may not have liked at all. Wink

Still true though. Marilyn's legacy went to a total stranger.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
What is it you think that Marilyn intended should happen, long-term? That here in 2024, Lee and Paula would still be running things? (Lee would be 122, Paula 113).

quote:
Marilyn's legacy went to a total stranger.

I'd be that pretty much every estate that is still earning money 60 years after its owner dies is being run by someone who was not known to the original person.

It's not clear to me how the situation could be much different, regardless of whether or not she would be happy with things as they are now. You can't control your assets after you pass them on to someone else -- the inheritor gets to control them then. And when they die, if there's anything left, it goes to the inheritor's estate.

Posts: 2213 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
What is it you think that Marilyn intended should happen, long-term? That here in 2024, Lee and Paula would still be running things? (Lee would be 122, Paula 113).

quote:
Marilyn's legacy went to a total stranger.

I'd be that pretty much every estate that is still earning money 60 years after its owner dies is being run by someone who was not known to the original person.

It's not clear to me how the situation could be much different, regardless of whether or not she would be happy with things as they are now. You can't control your assets after you pass them on to someone else -- the inheritor gets to control them then. And when they die, if there's anything left, it goes to the inheritor's estate.

Everything Monroe had went to a stranger completely within 20 years, probably more effectively only within the 4 years it took for Strasberg to remarry. It did not even go to the Strassberg family she knew, which Susan resented, I'd be pretty sure. Her possessions and licensing rights didn't go to any acquaintances of hers, old friends, old lovers, or to any charities of her choosing. She may well have not cared anyway. Like Elton John put it, "a candle in the wind".

I find it both ironic and sad, but if you don't see it that way, that's fine too.

Anna Strasberg has died and the Monroe Estate continues to make plenty of money for somebody, whoever they are.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It is weird how that happened. A valuable estate ends up with a total stranger within 20 years but if Monroe had no siblings nor children, we shouldn't be too surprised. Something similar has probably happened many times though few estates would be as high profile as hers even in the 80's and 90's.

My question would be, "Are the licensing rights really worth having for $20-30 million?" Most of her friends, biggest fans, and even passing acquaintances have also passed away or in their 80's at least. I'm sure there are still some collectors who have photos, coffee mugs, cards, and maybe a one-time possession of hers (I can't offhand recall a Monroe collector on "Collector's Call") but it's probably easier to find what you want now than it was 20-30 years ago.

What would sell these days with her images on them? I don't think another card set would be a money-maker.