Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    MARVEL BEGINNINGS
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MARVEL BEGINNINGS
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted
What's the latest rumors about Upper Deck's upcoming Marvel Beginnings?

All I can find is a February release date on NSU's release schedule and a blank sketch card on the net. Nothing from Diamond/Previews or my distributor.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of goldenavenger
posted Hide Post
Here's a scan of the sketch card blank.....
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_7aiU...vel_sketch_cards.jpg

This message has been edited. Last edited by: goldenavenger,

http://www.comicartfans.com/Ga...etail.asp?GCat=25744

Posts: 1841 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: April 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
From what I've been told, Thor and Beginnings are two unrelated sets.

Beginnings is a generic "all Marvel" set. Not sure why they didn't continue the Masterpieces line, unless they just mucked it up too much to salvage.

Could be wrong, but I think this is accurate.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5081 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
I've also been told several times that they will be doing these two sets. We have more information including images in the upcoming issue in our Preview 2011 story. You'll find a couple of the Thor costume cards as well as one of the Marvel Beginnings images there. Big Grin

Also, I tried to get updated information on the release dates for the two series but my e-mails went unanswered.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: H_Toser,

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H_Toser:
We have more information including images in the upcoming issue in our Preview 2001 story.

WOW and I thought we had waited a long time for Project Superpowers Wink

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
quote:
Originally posted by H_Toser:
We have more information including images in the upcoming issue in our Preview 2001 story.

WOW and I thought we had waited a long time for Project Superpowers Wink

Yup, that series probably was was included in the 2001 Preview story!

Nothing gets by you, Graham, does it? Big Grin

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of goldenavenger
posted Hide Post
Good catch. If you look at the link I inserted, it shows the front and back of both "Beginnings" and "Thor". That artist must have scanned in both blank sketch cards. And the breakdown I listed is for Thor, I'll have to keep looking for information on the Beginnings release.

Posts: 1841 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: April 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
I really don't know what to say. Maybe I should start another thread, so the topic doesn't get so confusing.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of goldenavenger
posted Hide Post
I say keep this one, the title is correct. Let people read along since it's back on track after only a few postings. Thumb Up

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goldenavenger:
I say keep this one, the title is correct. Let people read along since it's back on track after only a few postings. Thumb Up

I don't mean to be a jerk here, but there's info on another set, and mis-information. I had to read it twice, and double check the title of the upcoming Cap movie to make sure I understood what was being said. Oh well. When it's out, we'll all know.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of goldenavenger
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the post right after mine straightened it all out. I didn't think it was that tough. I removed the information on the Thor set. That should help. I'll stick to the other threads and leave yours alone.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Haljordanfan
posted Hide Post
I really hope that UD redeems themselves with the Beginnings set. I'm also excited that there might be a chance for SUPER highend artists like MM1 had. Hopefully UD doesn't mangle this set.

Posts: 575 | Location: USA | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
Just received some info on the set. Sounds interesting, but very disappointed that some of the key chase cards are only 1 in 3 boxes.

CONTENT HIGHLIGHTS:

· Begin your collection of the most comprehensive set of the Marvel Universe ever assembled!

o Includes the first 180 base cards of the entire 540-card set!

· Chase one-of-a-kind artist sketch cards from some of the greatest comic artists in the industry!

· Look for rare Breakthrough Issues Autographs

o Includes comic icons like Stan Lee and Brian Michael Bendis signing over some of the classic issues they created!

· One (1) Breakthrough Issues Card per pack!

o Your chance to collect all the momentous covers without spending the thousands of dollars on the real issues! Includes:

§ Amazing Fantasy Issue #15 – 1st Appearance of Spiderman

§ Daredevil (vol. 1) Issue #181 – Death of Elektra

§ Incredible Hulk (vol. 1) Issue #1 – 1st Appearance of the Hulk

§ X-Men (vol. 1) Issue #100 – Sacrifice and Death of Jean Grey

§ and many more!

· One (1) Marvel Prime micromotion card OR X-Men Die-Cut card per pack!

· Collect Hologram cards featuring the classic Marvel Villains!

PRODUCT BREAKDOWN:

· Unique Marvel Sketch Cards!

o Artist Sketch Cards (1:72)

· Autograph Cards!

o Breakthrough Issues Autographs (1:72)

· Collectible Inserts!

o X-Men Die-Cut Cards (1:2)

o Marvel Prime Cards (1:2)

o Villain Hologram Cards (1:72)

o Breakthrough Issues (1:1)

o Ultimate Marvel Preview Cards (Varied #)

· Regular Cards

o 180 Regular Cards

7 Cards per Pack

24 Packs per Box

Picture of william291077
posted Hide Post
Howdy,

Set sounds good but concerned over the 1:72 ratios.

Would the ratio indicate that you would get 1 of either an Artist Sketch Cards (1:72), a Breakthrough Issues Autographs (1:72) or a Villain Hologram Cards (1:72) in each box.

This would make purchasing boxes much more palatable.

TTFN

Posts: 457 | Location: Glasgow, United Kingdom | Registered: August 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
That's how I take it.

IMO, it ought to be 1 in 24. So you'll know you'll get something cool. At this rate, if you're extremely lucky, buy 3 boxes and get one of each. But buy 3 or more and get zip, will really suck.

It's not like they're paying the artists much to justify the low odds. Maybe they couldn't get enough artists at that rate.

I love getting at least one sketch card per Marvel series, but at this rate, I may just get a base set off Ebay, and forget about the sketch and other chase. I have plenty of autographs and sketches in my collection, so the Holograms will be the only issue I have. I can't justify buying a case for one chase set.

Ridiculous IMO.

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Sounds a bit like the Thor ratios, not enough value in the boxes to justify a purchase for me as a collector, I wonder how the dealers will feel about breaking these. I will just look for the cards I like from the set on secondary market.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batman:
Sounds a bit like the Thor ratios, not enough value in the boxes to justify a purchase for me as a collector, I wonder how the dealers will feel about breaking these. I will just look for the cards I like from the set on secondary market.

Overall, I think Thor is better. With the obvious exception, the autographs. I don't know why my wife ordered two boxes of Thor, but I better get a sketch. I'll have to see more of Beginnings before I order. Base set off Ebay is probably the best deal at this point.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
I'm really hoping that each box will have either a sketch, autograph, or hologram.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tattoox:
I'm really hoping that each box will have either a sketch, autograph, or hologram.

I just found on the net that this is true. I hope so.

Picture of william291077
posted Hide Post
Howdy,

I think one hit per box sounds right, 1:72 ratio sounds really bad and a bit of a turn off.

Cheers

Posts: 457 | Location: Glasgow, United Kingdom | Registered: August 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post