Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Nu-Cards Horror Monsters
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nu-Cards Horror Monsters
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Cecil
posted
I am still searching through my many boxes of "stuff" and ran across these cards and well, I figured that this was the place to ask questions. I was looking in NSU at the listing for Horror Monsters and was wondering why there is no listing for 2-card panels. I have 7 different panels of the first series (green). Does anyone have any input on this? Where did they come from and why are their 2 card panels to begin with? Any info would be grately appreciated.

Thanks in advance-
Cecil

Posts: 736 | Location: Carmel, IN. | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Cecil
posted Hide Post

Posts: 736 | Location: Carmel, IN. | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MikeFitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have 7 different panels of the first series (green). Does anyone have any input on this? Where did they come from and why are their 2 card panels to begin with? Any info would be grately appreciated.

These were issued as single cards as well as cello packs with three 2-card panels and one single card.
According the the NSB, it is possible that not all the set cards were issued as panels.
I've picked these up for between $10 to $20 each in ex/nm condition.
Hope that helps.

Posts: 1457 | Location: New England | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Cecil
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I guess I was more curious as to why they aren't listed in the NSU with the single cards.

By the way, the panels I have are (starting with the left hand number first):

3/7; 30/50; 38/64; 42/43; 46/49; 54/33; 61/65.

Cecil

New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Just signed up. I have been trying to put together a list of the panels for the Nu Card Monster Green set. This is what I have as of 11/25/11.
  • 3 - 7 King Kong / The Terror From Beyond Space
  • 6 – 8 Teen Age Werewolf / King Kong
  • 22-24 Man From Planet X / Dracula
  • 27-28 The She Creature / Hideous Sun Demon
  • 30-50 How To Make A Monster / The Wolfman
  • 38-64 Horror Of Dracula / The Man Who Lost His Skin
  • 42-43 The Incredible Shrinking Man / The Forbidden Planet
  • 46-49 Creature From The Black Lagoon / Cyclops >From 'Sinbad The Sailor'
  • 55-56 Monster from 'World Without End' / Amazing Colossal Man
  • 61-65 Skeleton Man / The Man That Couldn't Die

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I am looking for photos of backs of 102 redemption cards.

John

Posts: 6 | Location: Providence, RI | Registered: November 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I Don't know if any on is listening, but I did get two more panels for my list.

3 - 7 King Kong / The Terror From Beyond Space
    6 – 8 Teen Age Werewolf / King Kong
    22 - 24 Man From Planet X / Dracula
    27 - 28 The She Creature / Hideous Sun Demon
    30 - 50 How To Make A Monster / The Wolfman
    38 - 64 Horror Of Dracula / The Man Who Lost His Skin
    42 - 43 The Incredible Shrinking Man / The Forbidden Planet
    46 - 49 Creature From The Black Lagoon / Cyclops >From 'Sinbad The Sailor'
    54 - 33 Monster From Outer Space / Gigantis, The Fire Monster
    55 - 56 Monster from 'World Without End' / Amazing Colossal Man
    57 - 60 Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde / The Giant Behemoth
    61 - 65 Skeleton Man / The Man That Couldn't Die

Again any one with any info please e-mail me.

John

Posts: 6 | Location: Providence, RI | Registered: November 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Editor-in-Chief
Picture of A_Biegel
posted Hide Post
I have all the panels listed above plus 44-45.
I have not seen any additional numbers as panels. For more information on Horror Monsters see Vol 22 No 2 of Non-Sport Update.

~Alan

Posts: 189 | Location: Bayonne, NJ USA | Registered: December 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's an article about these cards from PSA grading:

http://www.psacard.com/article...gn=psaezine2010jun29

They mention there that the "Non-Sports Bible" identifies 19 different panels although they don't supply a checklist.

Besides the 13 listed above the only other one I could find is #53 Blood of the Vampire/#52 The Mummy's Curse. One recently ended on eBay.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Logan,

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I did read the article about the 19 know panels, but there should be more. Unless those are the only one and rest were grey backs. Funny, I haven't cross referenced the single white back with the panels I have.

I missed that eBay auction though it should have shown up on my saved search. Oh, well.

Next thing, I may compile the infromation from the various articles together.

Thank for the info.

Picture of monsterwax
posted Hide Post
If you want more information on the series, you may want to check out an article I wrote about it and the controversy about the so-called "test version" (which I believe was actually a bootleg printed by a another party that came out AFTER the Nu-card series).

http://www.monsterwax.com/horrormonstercards.html

In the second paragraph, I state that the green series was originally released in panels with cream backs, but then was reissued with the gray backs (all as singles). I'm embarrassed to say I don't remember where I got this information-- or if it was just an assumption on my part. (I should have used footnotes!) If it was an assumption, I should have made that clear. I don't see why it wasn't just as possible that it came out as gray backed singles first, and THEN the cream backed panels. The panels were issued in clear cello wrap and it could have been done so as a cost saving measure (something more likely to occur as the demand began to slack). If only we had some accurate memories we could rely on! Instead, we have to deduct and assume-- the same sort of guessing that popularized the myth that the blue cards were a test set.

By the way, the Non Sports Bible says the highest number blue test card found thus far is #91, however, I have #136 and #143. (They sure aren't common, though.)

The green and orange series remain one of my favorite monster sets. I have a hard time deciding if I like them better, equal, or less than Mars Attacks... they're THAT good. And I'll bet anything that there are fewer all gray back sets of the green series than there are Mars Attacks (not that scarcity should effect its artistic value).

Posts: 404 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: April 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Kurt,
I had read somewhere that some 2 card panels and single cards may have been packaged together in a cello pack.

There quite a few articles on the cards out there. I started a list of those too, but I have not had the time to make a complete list. Of course it mostly is from a google search. Maybe this weekend I pull all my stuff together and post something.

By the way keep up the good work.

John

New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I found a dealer who had a copy "Non-Sports Bible".

Here is the list of the 19 panels:

• 3-7 King Kong / The Terror From Beyond Space
  • 6-8 Teen Age Werewolf / King Kong
  • 10-13 Return Of The Fly / Horrors Of The Black Museum
  • 11-14 Half Human / The Giant Behemoth
  • 21-4 Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein / Gigantis, The Fire Monster
  • 22-24 Man From Planet X / Dracula
  • 27-28 The She Creature / Hideous Sun Demon
  • 30-50 How To Make A Monster / The Wolfman
  • 38-64 Horror Of Dracula / The Man Who Lost His Skin
  • 41-29 The Vampire / Monster In 'Time Machine'
  • 42-43 The Incredible Shrinking Man / The Forbidden Planet
  • 44-45 Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde / Frankenstein
  • 46-49 Creature From The Black Lagoon / Cyclops >From 'Sinbad The Sailor'
  • 53-52 Blood Of The Vampire / The Mummy's Curse
  • 54-37 Monster From Outer Space / Sinbad Battles The Giant Two-Headed Roc
  • 55-56 Monster from 'World Without End' / Amazing Colossal Man
  • 57-60 The She Creature / Hunchback of Notre Dame
  • 58-59 Animal Man in 'Island of Lost Souls' / Vegetable Man, 'It Conquered The World'
  • 61-65 Skeleton Man / The Man That Couldn't Die

Now I am going to look for photos of all the panels.

There were several graded panels listed on eBay a while back, but I wasn't going to spend 50-60 a panel.

New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
OK, Fans. I've got some interesting news regarding the NuCard Monster Green Series.
I just bought collection of the cards. On the bad side, the seller overstated the condition of cards and several are cropped. On the good side, there are two interesting aspects to cards I bought.

1. I got card 9 – Bowery Boy Meets the Monster in poor condition. The interesting part, it has a blank back. I've never seen a blank back. Before. My guess is that it is part of promo sheet. Is there one out there? Is is on card stock and it slightly longer and narrower than a standard card.

2. I got white back of the following cards – 1 (R?), 2 (B), 5(T), 12(B), 18(L), 20(B), 25(L), 26(R), 29(R), 31(L), 32(R), 34(T), 36(B), 40(L), 48(T), 62(B), 63(B), 66(B). These don't match to the 19 know panels.

R=right card, L=left card, T=top card and B=bottom card. If the landscape cards were with portrait card, I would guess R=B and L=T.

I also got card #35, but it is to cropped to tell where the perforation was.
And a miscut 27 has a extra strip card board on the left side. It is wider than the regular cards.