Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Nu-Cards Horror Monsters

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/954605353/m/7401049782

June 14, 2008, 11:41 PM
Cecil
Nu-Cards Horror Monsters
I am still searching through my many boxes of "stuff" and ran across these cards and well, I figured that this was the place to ask questions. I was looking in NSU at the listing for Horror Monsters and was wondering why there is no listing for 2-card panels. I have 7 different panels of the first series (green). Does anyone have any input on this? Where did they come from and why are their 2 card panels to begin with? Any info would be grately appreciated.

Thanks in advance-
Cecil
June 15, 2008, 10:37 AM
Cecil

June 15, 2008, 11:11 AM
MikeFitz
quote:
I have 7 different panels of the first series (green). Does anyone have any input on this? Where did they come from and why are their 2 card panels to begin with? Any info would be grately appreciated.

These were issued as single cards as well as cello packs with three 2-card panels and one single card.
According the the NSB, it is possible that not all the set cards were issued as panels.
I've picked these up for between $10 to $20 each in ex/nm condition.
Hope that helps.

June 15, 2008, 02:22 PM
Cecil
Thanks for the info. I guess I was more curious as to why they aren't listed in the NSU with the single cards.

By the way, the panels I have are (starting with the left hand number first):

3/7; 30/50; 38/64; 42/43; 46/49; 54/33; 61/65.

Cecil
November 25, 2011, 09:45 AM
Groo230
Just signed up. I have been trying to put together a list of the panels for the Nu Card Monster Green set. This is what I have as of 11/25/11.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I am looking for photos of backs of 102 redemption cards.

John
January 07, 2012, 10:38 AM
Groo230
I Don't know if any on is listening, but I did get two more panels for my list.

Again any one with any info please e-mail me.

John
January 07, 2012, 11:27 AM
A_Biegel
I have all the panels listed above plus 44-45.
I have not seen any additional numbers as panels. For more information on Horror Monsters see Vol 22 No 2 of Non-Sport Update.

~Alan
January 07, 2012, 11:46 AM
Logan
Here's an article about these cards from PSA grading:

http://www.psacard.com/article...gn=psaezine2010jun29

They mention there that the "Non-Sports Bible" identifies 19 different panels although they don't supply a checklist.

Besides the 13 listed above the only other one I could find is #53 Blood of the Vampire/#52 The Mummy's Curse. One recently ended on eBay.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Logan,
January 07, 2012, 11:19 PM
Groo230
I did read the article about the 19 know panels, but there should be more. Unless those are the only one and rest were grey backs. Funny, I haven't cross referenced the single white back with the panels I have.

I missed that eBay auction though it should have shown up on my saved search. Oh, well.

Next thing, I may compile the infromation from the various articles together.

Thank for the info.
January 19, 2012, 01:29 AM
monsterwax
If you want more information on the series, you may want to check out an article I wrote about it and the controversy about the so-called "test version" (which I believe was actually a bootleg printed by a another party that came out AFTER the Nu-card series).

http://www.monsterwax.com/horrormonstercards.html

In the second paragraph, I state that the green series was originally released in panels with cream backs, but then was reissued with the gray backs (all as singles). I'm embarrassed to say I don't remember where I got this information-- or if it was just an assumption on my part. (I should have used footnotes!) If it was an assumption, I should have made that clear. I don't see why it wasn't just as possible that it came out as gray backed singles first, and THEN the cream backed panels. The panels were issued in clear cello wrap and it could have been done so as a cost saving measure (something more likely to occur as the demand began to slack). If only we had some accurate memories we could rely on! Instead, we have to deduct and assume-- the same sort of guessing that popularized the myth that the blue cards were a test set.

By the way, the Non Sports Bible says the highest number blue test card found thus far is #91, however, I have #136 and #143. (They sure aren't common, though.)

The green and orange series remain one of my favorite monster sets. I have a hard time deciding if I like them better, equal, or less than Mars Attacks... they're THAT good. And I'll bet anything that there are fewer all gray back sets of the green series than there are Mars Attacks (not that scarcity should effect its artistic value).

January 19, 2012, 08:27 AM
Groo230
Kurt,
I had read somewhere that some 2 card panels and single cards may have been packaged together in a cello pack.

There quite a few articles on the cards out there. I started a list of those too, but I have not had the time to make a complete list. Of course it mostly is from a google search. Maybe this weekend I pull all my stuff together and post something.

By the way keep up the good work.

John
February 15, 2012, 08:57 PM
Groo230
I found a dealer who had a copy "Non-Sports Bible".

Here is the list of the 19 panels:

Now I am going to look for photos of all the panels.

There were several graded panels listed on eBay a while back, but I wasn't going to spend 50-60 a panel.
July 10, 2012, 10:21 PM
Groo230
OK, Fans. I've got some interesting news regarding the NuCard Monster Green Series.
I just bought collection of the cards. On the bad side, the seller overstated the condition of cards and several are cropped. On the good side, there are two interesting aspects to cards I bought.

1. I got card 9 – Bowery Boy Meets the Monster in poor condition. The interesting part, it has a blank back. I've never seen a blank back. Before. My guess is that it is part of promo sheet. Is there one out there? Is is on card stock and it slightly longer and narrower than a standard card.

2. I got white back of the following cards – 1 (R?), 2 (B), 5(T), 12(B), 18(L), 20(B), 25(L), 26(R), 29(R), 31(L), 32(R), 34(T), 36(B), 40(L), 48(T), 62(B), 63(B), 66(B). These don't match to the 19 know panels.

R=right card, L=left card, T=top card and B=bottom card. If the landscape cards were with portrait card, I would guess R=B and L=T.

I also got card #35, but it is to cropped to tell where the perforation was.
And a miscut 27 has a extra strip card board on the left side. It is wider than the regular cards.