Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what's the secret ??
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of cardscout182
posted
G'day everyone, hope you're all doing well...

I'm not sure if this idea has been posted before, and this is not a slight on the Card Talk admins, but can someone with the holy grail of techy knowledge, make a "how to" instructional video, presumably on YouTube, then post a link here, on how to upload photos to these Threads/Topics ?
Jess (Catskilleagles) has been my go-to but would love a tutorial or link to one on SIMPLE steps to achieve this uploading nirvana.
Thanks in advance

Posts: 711 | Location: sydney nsw australia | Registered: February 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Cardscout,

This question comes from time to time. I answered it at least once:

https://nonsportupdate.infopop...147024007#5147024007

You can also do a search for "embed" on this site (the "Find" tab) and find other replies about getting images visible.

Posts: 4393 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Those instructions are not that complicated, but require the poster to maintain photos in a specific way that they might prefer to resist. What seems to be the insurmountable problem is that many people still avoid the Cloud (OneDrive) or hosting sites (still the Cloud) and would rather save photos they want to their own PC or external drives.

Apparently, you must use some kind of hosting site to embed a photo and can't simply drop it into a post from your own equipment or off a flash drive. You would think someone would be able to figure out how to do that by now, but then we might not need all of this interconnectivity that the Computer Overlords are so happy to give us. Big Grin

We may have bought it, but they still own it. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10408 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
In similar fashion I use the https://postimages.org/ web site.

Upload image then cut and paste the direct link into the card talk image url feature.

Biggest issue I have is that the images need to be sized down or you will blow up the card talk feed with a full on poster. I usually keep it down to the 80 - 140kb range.

Obviously if the site is down so goes your links. For the most part I have found it reliable.

Posts: 4858 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
At one point, we were limited to how much we could store online with our account so when I set up the forum all those years ago, I set it so that photos could not be stored here. They take up a lot more space than our text does.

As was posted, it’s been posted elsewhere on the forum how to use a third party site to store images and then link here. But I hope someone will explain it a bit further here. And if I can help further, please let me know.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
In similar fashion I use the https://postimages.org/ web site.

Upload image then cut and paste the direct link into the card talk image url feature.

Biggest issue I have is that the images need to be sized down or you will blow up the card talk feed with a full on poster. I usually keep it down to the 80 - 140kb range.

Also a user of postimages.

And for resizing, Irfanview is a great, simple photo editing program. I use it to crop, resize, color balance, and otherwise edit pictures.

Posts: 2212 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post

As mentioned above you need a third party image hosting site. It is like that with most chat forums. I use Imgur.
- make an account, it is free.
- upload your photos to your account. You can make folders to keep them organized.
- After you upload the photo, click on it and there are various links on the side. Second one up from the bottom `BBCode (message boards & forums)'.
- At the bottom there are sizes, click on the one you want to use.
- click on the `Copy' button for BBCode and paste the link into your forum post.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I too use postimage.org using the online instructions to post images.

regards

John

Posts: 2121 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of cardscout182
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for your helpful suggestions. I'll have a go next weekend, IF I survive...

Posts: 711 | Location: sydney nsw australia | Registered: February 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post