Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Inkworks Autograph Card Contracts Hit The Market
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inkworks Autograph Card Contracts Hit The Market
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted
A pretty cool collection of the contracts signed by Inkworks autograph card subjects have hit Ebay. The seller is obscuring how many cards were signed by each person, leaving it up to the winner to reveal the quantity if they are so inclined:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.htm...kw=signed%20contract

I love the Elizabeth Mitchell one. She lost the contract paper and just wrote a note on family stationary.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25625...c:g:OEYAAOSwjiplJcsN

Here's the ones that have sold thus far, namely Michelle Tractenberg from Buffy, several Simpsons voice actors, Family Guy creator Seth McFarlane, and Jeffrey Combs, best known for "Re-Animator":

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.htm...Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

Posts: 3331 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of spidergoblin
posted Hide Post
I think some of the sale prices should be higher and others lower....Gillian Anderson is low in my opinion.

"nuff said"

"it traps,it kills,it eats....that's what a good spider does"
Alice Cooper

Posts: 10450 | Location: Lubbock,TX | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That Boris Vallejo & Julie Bell is pretty nice for fans of the 1996 Marvel Masterpieces card series, which they teamed up to paint. It's cool that Boris is the witness for Julie, so you get a printed and cursive signature from him on it.

Posts: 3331 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
I like the Gina Torres verified by her then husband Laurence Fishburne.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25626...tkp%3ABk9SR9Tc5aWiYw

Posts: 4871 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmmmmm...not what the card looks like

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25625...tkp%3ABk9SR-TgwaaiYw

Posts: 4871 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
They seem to be selling for best offer rather than the price quoted suggesting the buyers think they are asking too much which they are in my opinion.

Posts: 29003 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I find it interesting that these should come to light in this manner after all this time. Who is the original seller who gave the contracts to this seller to process? Caplan? Or another insider? Or someone who was able to grab them in the liquidation?

As to the prices, as novelty items they are worth whatever a buyer thinks they are worth, and signers that have deceased like Drago, Kidder and Carradine are worth more. Bigger signers like Fishburne and Anderson have their own fan base that may want them.

But I should point out that for almost all of the names I see, their actual Inkworks autograph cards can be bought now for considerably less than the contract prices shown, so BINs would be reasonable to offer. These items would be bought for their uniqueness and not the signature value in most cases because many would be considered common autograph cards in today's market.

Posts: 10426 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Hmmmmmmmm...not what the card looks like

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25625...tkp%3ABk9SR-TgwaaiYw

The contract looks different. His Looney Toons Back In Action cards look a lot like many signed books you can find on line.

And it may be that he has two different signatures, one for "show" and one for business. Frank Frazetta had a signature that looks much like how he signed his artwork, and another that is in standard cursive handwriting.

Posts: 2218 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
The Lexa Doig one is witnessed by Michael Shanks.

Posts: 3255 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Terapeak results so far:
Signed Contract FELICIA DAY Inkwork AUTOGRAPH Card Certification Witnessed BUFFY
$180.00
Oct 9, 2023

Signed Contract MICHELLE TRACHTENBERG Inkworks AUTOGRAPH Certification Buffy Tvs
$299.00
Dec 29, 2023

Signed Contract HANK AZARIA Inkworks AUTOGRAPH Card Certification SIMPSONS MANIA
$350.00
Dec 23, 2023

Signed Contract FRANK PELLEGRINO Inkworks AUTOGRAPH Card Certification SOPRANOS
$125.00
Oct 15, 2023

Signed Contract NANCY CARTWRIGHT Inkworks AUTOGRAPH Card Certification SIMPSONS
$300.00
Dec 23, 2023

Signed Contract DAN CASTELLANETA Inkworks AUTOGRAPH Card Certification SIMPSONS
$400.00
Dec 23, 2023

Signed Contract SETH McFARLANE Inkworks AUTOGRAPH Card Certification FAMILY GUY
$1,500.00
Dec 23, 2023

Signed Contract GUILLERMO DEL TORO Inkworks AUTOGRAPH Card Certification Witness
$225.00
Oct 14, 2023

Signed Contract YEARDLEY SMITH Inkworks AUTOGRAPH Card Certification SIMPSONS
$300.00
Dec 23, 2023

Signed Contract JEFFREY COMBS Inkworks AUTOGRAPH Card Certification Witnessed
$199.00
Oct 23, 2023

Posts: 5422 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
The Linda Blair one states she has signed autograph stickers but if memory serves her Supernatural autographs were on card. Confused

Posts: 29003 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by chesspieceface:

_dkr=1&iconV2Request=true&_blrs=recall_filtering
I love the Elizabeth Mitchell one. She lost the contract paper and just wrote a note on family stationary.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25625...c:g:OEYAAOSwjiplJcsN

Yes, and you know the Elizabeth Mitchell LOST cards are authentic because her handwriting looks exactly like her signature.

Posts: 3214 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
And it may be that he has two different signatures, one for "show" and one for business. Frank Frazetta had a signature that looks much like how he signed his artwork, and another that is in standard cursive handwriting.

Also they are signing one piece of paper, as opposed to maybe 100 or more cards or stickers, which often causes them to get sloppy or start omitting portions of their signature because it's taking too much time.

The tendency of collectors is always to compare autographs to every other autograph from that signer. The truth is that signatures can change and still be legitimate because they are signed by the real person. Ideally there will be samples that appear to be in an acceptable range, but when the first-time outliers show up, or it's just an inconsistent signer, no one can really be sure.

Some signers almost seem to create questionable signatures on purpose to protect their "money" autograph. And let's not forget that when you do get that identical autograph, you might be looking at an autopen. Big Grin

Posts: 10426 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
The Linda Blair one states she has signed autograph stickers but if memory serves her Supernatural autographs were on card. Confused

Maybe this one?

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Ahhh yes i forgot there was more than one.

Hear the wise words of wolfie:....check first, post later.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:

Also they are signing one piece of paper, as opposed to maybe 100 or more cards or stickers, which often causes them to get sloppy or start omitting portions of their signature because it's taking too much time.

The tendency of collectors is always to compare autographs to every other autograph from that signer. The truth is that signatures can change and still be legitimate because they are signed by the real person. Ideally there will be samples that appear to be in an acceptable range, but when the first-time outliers show up, or it's just an inconsistent signer, no one can really be sure.

Some signers almost seem to create questionable signatures on purpose to protect their "money" autograph. And let's not forget that when you do get that identical autograph, you might be looking at an autopen. Big Grin

All true but in this case the bad or questionable looking sig was on the contract while the cards looked pretty good.

posted Hide Post
I really like the Katy Sagal where she forgot to sign the paper but they still want $99!

Ok. Here’s my two cents.
Almost all of these are way overpriced. I have more than a dozen or so of the contracts that Topps put on the market through their eBay store but never paid anything close to this!

There are a lot of names on these eBay auctions that the average person wouldn’t know.
Assuming these are legit, they would be fun “brag” showpieces to own but not at these prices.

Posts: 120 | Location: Cardinal Nation | Registered: June 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcracch:
Almost all of these are way overpriced.

You mean like Seren Scott Thomas at $199.99, when her Buffy card goes for $24.99.

Or Alan Ritchson at $299.99, when you can pick up the Quad Autograph card for $199.95.

Or even Eliza Dushky at $599.99, when her Buffy cards are mainly in a $250 - $400 range now.

No, only a couple of exceptions fall in line with the autograph value alone and that's not including any card value here either. I wouldn't doubt the authenticity, but I would personally prefer to have the cards at the going rates. As you say, this is for people who maybe just like the memorabilia aspect to it.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It may be that these buyers are those who collect documents (written/signed by historical figures/celebrities) rather than cards. As you said, a collector might feel like they are getting a better signature in a one-shot deal like this rather than going for a card that was the 50th one signed that day which might be consciously abbreviated to some degree or at least not the result of boredom or a cramp.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by jcracch:
Almost all of these are way overpriced.

You mean like Seren Scott Thomas at $199.99, when her Buffy card goes for $24.99.

Or Alan Ritchson at $299.99, when you can pick up the Quad Autograph card for $199.95.

Or even Eliza Dushky at $599.99, when her Buffy cards are mainly in a $250 - $400 range now.

No, only a couple of exceptions fall in line with the autograph value alone and that's not including any card value here either. I wouldn't doubt the authenticity, but I would personally prefer to have the cards at the going rates. As you say, this is for people who maybe just like the memorabilia aspect to it.

Posts: 4414 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
These are a bit of an enigma dont know were they came from just turned up.
What else Inkworks stuff is in the pipeline you would think that it had all been used up by now.
These should not interest any Autograph card collector but Auto collectors generally.
I think the seller is really grasping at straws regarding his her asking prices are astronomical .
But I do think the seller is trying to direct then too the card market.
I clicked on a couple of them as I thought that the dates were wring for the issuing of the set but ok.
As soon as I had put them on my watch list I received a offer of $250 off one item and $350 off the other, This would indicate that the seller is testing out the market for whatever they can get for them.
I would like to know wether the ones sold are Card Collectors or Autograph collectors
However they are what they are.

Posts: 761 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post