Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2024 Pop Century
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted
https://www.beckett.com/news/2...f-metal-pop-century/

https://www.cardboardconnectio...views-and-checklists

I guess 2024 Pop Century is officially here. There is an odd looking checklist on cardboard connection but some first time signers I am seeing include:

Bri Larson
Jeremy Davies
Donna Mills
Laurence Fishburne
Bryce Dallas Howard
Michael Douglas
Margot Robbie
Susan Sarandon
Doug Bradley
Cuba Gooding Jr
Michael B Jordan
Alec Baldwin (sig looks horrible on sticker)
Tim Matheson
Dee Wallace (minus the Stone)
Beverly D'Angelo
Chukwudi Iwuji
Richard Kline
Francis Fisher
Jason London
Max Gail
Pall Williams

Had to figure out what a JWoww was.
Looks like Liotta and Caan live on in sticker purgatory.

As usual some of the designs are scary to look at while others are quite nice.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mykdude,

Posts: 4901 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
I feel like (with no possible way of checking) that there was a Susan Sarandon "Bull Durham" autograph in Topps Archives baseball about 10 years ago, although very, very limited.

Pretty good list for your ongoing project, and there's certainly a few I'd like. Margot Robbie is incredible. That one will be in high demand, indeed.

Posts: 3343 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Susan Sarandon had signed cards in the 2016 Allen & Ginter set, and in the 2016 Topps Archives Bull Durham cards.

Dee Wallace Stone had signed cards in 2006 TK Legacy JAG, but I can't find any to link for a picture.

Posts: 2228 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here are some other new/notable signers I saw in the checklist at least I think they are new:

Gene Hackman
Gisele Bundchen
Jason Lee

The base design does look better this year, I think, but the photos -- at least some of them are terrible.

I went pretty hard at Pop Century last year, this year I'm finding it hard to care.

Might chase a few autographs, but far fewer than last year.

Posts: 5429 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I think Brie Larson and Michael B Jordan signed for Leaf before.

Over all strong list this year.

Posts: 1576 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Happy these are out, gives me some more people to pick up. The main thing is to try to get a decent signature placement on a decent sticker placement and don't pay more for a shorter print run because the number really doesn't matter.

Yeah, the photos and layouts continue to be bad, even on the better ones. Check out Pete Davidson's autograph card. Not only does it look like he is dead, it looks like a vampire got him. Big Grin

Posts: 10467 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
I think Brie Larson and Michael B Jordan signed for Leaf before.

Over all strong list this year.

Yeah but pretty sure they were part of a limited web offer and not a prime release. Oddly enough I don't care much for either of them.

I mentioned Susan Sarandon because many of her 2 Topps releases fell victim to a bleeding pen malfunction.

I believe these are the first Dee Wallace cards where she doesn't sign Stone or at least the ones I have seen so far. I have one of hers from JAG.

Jason Lee is new, Gene like Susan has signed for a couple of Topps releases in the past.

Posts: 4901 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Margot Robbie is incredible. That one will be in high demand, indeed.

Me too. But since I can't afford it, it's kind of nice that she's wearing a Minnie Mouse pink hairbow and a wide-open mouth. Leaf has found a photo that makes Robbie look bad. Roll Eyes

Now put that hairbow with DeNiro's trashcan top beret from a couple of years ago and somebody at Leaf must have a thing for stupid head gear. Razz

Posts: 10467 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
At least she is signing her full name. Some of what I have seen from send ins weren't great.

I think I am happy with my own for these two.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yes, Hackman has signed before:

Posts: 2228 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
At least she is signing her full name. Some of what I have seen from send ins weren't great.

I think I am happy with my own for these two.

Adam Maitland huh! That's like your "Aunt May". I think that Robbie is great because. besides a nice photo, you put the actor's name and the character's name on the card. Just the character leads to people to ask "Who is Adam Maitland"? Big Grin

I am very surprised that you were able to get through to Robbie. Good for her and you. Smile Was it a private signing gig?

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Wow! Someone in official and licensed card manufacturing assembled this mess. Looking at others it seems they are giving Tim a bigger sticker to sign. Still doesn't excuse this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16675...tkp%3ABk9SR76UscntYw

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Adam Maitland huh! That's like your "Aunt May". I think that Robbie is great because. besides a nice photo, you put the actor's name and the character's name on the card. Just the character leads to people to ask "Who is Adam Maitland"? Big Grin

I am very surprised that you were able to get through to Robbie. Good for her and you. Smile Was it a private signing gig?

I typically do the character name up front but have been known to mix things up. I put full information on the back. I have plenty of licensed cards (including the skybox ST sets) that designed in this fashion but I think the majority of them do actor name up front..

These were sent to conventions. Robbie was a few years before Barbie. ;-P

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wow! Someone in official and licensed card manufacturing assembled this mess. Looking at others it seems they are giving Tim a bigger sticker to sign. Still doesn't excuse this.

That is the worst Pop Century 2024 autograph card I've seen, but I don't know if it's a bigger sticker or maybe two put together. There is more writing under the Tim Curry signature that has been cut off. Looks like it was either a second Curry autograph or some added inscription.

In terms of worth, that card would grade much lower because of the placement of the signatures. I would go so far as to call it damaged. I don't understand why Leaf would even want to be associated with this sort of quality. Good luck selling it. And that is the 1/1 dual too. Eek

Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:

That is the worst Pop Century 2024 autograph card I've seen, but I don't know if it's a bigger sticker or maybe two put together. There is more writing under the Tim Curry signature that has been cut off. Looks like it was either a second Curry autograph or some added inscription.

In terms of worth, that card would grade much lower because of the placement of the signatures. I would go so far as to call it damaged. I don't understand why Leaf would even want to be associated with this sort of quality. Good luck selling it. And that is the 1/1 dual too. Eek

Ouch, that's bad! Eek How many people would that had to have passed through before being released? Obviously there's no provision for any kind of quality control, nor care for it. The question is, will it actually sell?

Posts: 440 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
So a box of pop century direct from Leaf is $319 which puts a case at roughly $3200 (Some are trying to get more)

My theory is that without a fresh Eastwood to hold it up this will drop much earlier than last year.

One case has already sold for $2800 with at least a couple more on live auction.

Boxes are slipping down to the $250 - $280 range.

I am already seeing some of my want list drop over the past few days and the product is nowhere near completely busted.

Patience is going to win the day on this one.

posted Hide Post
I've searched eBay a few times, but just can't get get over all the Pop Century 'issues.'

I was planning on getting a Jessica Alba, but they used the same photos that they used last year.

Jason Lee was on my list, but I hate the photo they used for the regular card. The photo on the dual is better, but I really don't want the dual.

It is great that they used larger stickers for the inscriptions, but that seems to have caused the issue with the Tim Curry above.

A full signature Pete Davidson is on my want list, but I haven't seen one. That photo doesn't bother me as much.

The fact that the Ari Lehman issue is unresolved still nags at me.

Posts: 5429 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I have read where this product was hand seeded and packed. I don't know if Leaf has always done that, but it seems possible. If true, it means that you are breaking boxes and cases with balanced autograph cards rather than just random.

By balanced, if you get one big signer, the others will be lower end. If you don't get a big signer, maybe you'll get all mid-range with one lower end. This eliminates a garbage box, but will keep you from getting a big score too. Of course, there is still a difference in mid-range signers that is very subjective, and you may not get anyone you actually want either.

I find it difficult to believe that any autograph card collectors are busting these packs in any quantity at even $250 - $280. Most of these cards are going to be put up on eBay because the breakers are sellers from the start.

posted Hide Post
I might pick up a Bryce Dallas Howard -- her signature is fantastic.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Yes, if we are going to call them out when they sign slop, we should acknowledge those who do it the right way. Three names and you can read her signature letter for letter on every card/sticker I've seen. No BDH for her. Great job.