Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Chatter    2023-24 NFL Season
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2023-24 NFL Season
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Well, I was close on the Steelers-Bills game as the Bills won by two scores (14 points instead of the 11 I predicted).

I was way off on the Dolphins-Chiefs game and the Browns-Texans game. The Texans destroyed the Browns #1 defense.

I was way off on Packers-Cowboys. I figured the Packers could score but they more than doubled what I thought they could do and they pulled the starters late in the 4th Quarter before they put them back in. They could've scored another touchdown at least. The Cowboys got a couple of late touchdowns and made the game look closer than it was.

I was pretty close on Rams-Lions (exact same point total) but thought the Rams would've edged the Lions instead.

I was right picking Tampa but they did a better job shutting down Philadephia than I thought they could.

This morning, I heard a local newswoman comment that the 49ers should have fun with the Packers. Uh, the Cowboys probably thought they were going to have fun with them too. I would not look past Green Bay now. Jordan Love looks like he learned a lot across the season. He throws like a young Aaron Rodgers. What's he going to look like with more experience?

quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
The playoffs are set.

The Steelers have to go to Buffalo. I would say Buffalo should win easy but they suffered a few more injuries while beating Miami. The Steelers looked okay against the Ravens' back-ups. In the end Buffalo should be able to score and Pittsburgh will need a special teams or defensive touchdown to be within a touchdown late. Buffalo 24, Pittsburgh 13.

Miami at Kansas City is a matchup of two teams that have trouble looking good. They played each other in Europe earlier this season and I think Miami could win by a field goal though they have a lot of injuries. Miami 20, Kansas City 17.

Yeah, Cleveland should be able to beat the Texans. Cleveland 24, Houston 20

Dallas might barbecue Green Bay, 38-21.

Rams and Lions looks like an interesting game. Two young teams but with the Rams having the more experienced quarterback. Rams 27 Lions 20.

The Eagles are in free fall but they will make it close especially if Tampa misses a field goal and gives up a special teams/defensive touchdown. Eagles 20 Tampa 24.

Posts: 4414 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Yesterday's games were duds. The Steelers had nothing and probably should have not taken another's team slot. The Eagles, I don't know how they could go from 10 -1 to being dead the last 5 games, but they had nothing left. They should have given a slot to someone else too.

Next round. I really don't think it's going to be that hard for the Ravens or the 49ers. The Texans and Packers have hit their peak and shown their hand. This was already a great year for them and they will be happy to go home with it.

For Tampa and Detroit, I think they are both lucky to be playing each other because now they both have a chance of winning. I would go with Tampa.

Now Buffalo would be the easy pick over the Chiefs this time around, but I don't trust Buffalo and for some reason I never liked Josh Allen's choices. If they pressure him and don't allow him to run out of containment, he loses his mind and does stupid stuff. Buffalo should win, but I'm going for the upset again with the Chiefs.

Posts: 10426 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I expected the Ravens to win easily and they did, but they waited till halftime to pull away. They have sputtered in the Playoffs for a few years now. This time could be their time.

I expected the 49ers to win easily, and they didn't, but got lucky and won anyway. Watching the game I really thought the Pack was going to score a last-minute TD, or at least tie it up and go into OT on that final drive. Love forced an across the field pass that he never should have thrown having so much time left on the clock. It gets intercepted and that's the game. No coming back from that one, but there is always next year.

The 49ers and Purdy did not look all that solid until that last quarter, but they should have the easier Championship game against either the Lions or the Bucs. The Ravens will face either the Bills or the Chiefs and that game might wind up to be better than the eventual Super Bowl.

Looking for the Bucs and Chiefs to win tomorrow, but there is a lot of guessing in those picks.

Posts: 10426 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I didn't get in my predictions this week but it all went along with the way I thought it would. I picked the Chiefs too though the Bills didn't lose because of a bad pass by Allen. He had a couple of drops and then the Chiefs' defense made a couple of adjustments so the Bills couldn't run as well as they did in the first half.

It seemed like a good risk to the Bills to fake that punt since the Chiefs had only 10 men on the field but the remaining Chiefs' special teams players were probably ready for it since the Bills had done it successfully earlier in the season. Even one man short, they tackled the runner a few yards short.

I think Baltimore isn't going to have too much trouble with the Chiefs. I'm saying 30-20 Baltimore.

The 49ers should beat Detroit 23-14.

Posts: 4414 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Didn't pick the Lions to win, but it was a toss up and they just came down better than the Bucs. But I think no matter which one it was, the 49ers should run them over on the way to the Super Bowl.

Now with the Ravens, it does look like this is their year, but they have not been big winners in past playoffs. I think they well may have a lot of trouble with the Chiefs, who look better than they have all season.

The Ravens have home field and for some reason I can see them taking it in a blowout, but if its close in the 4th, I think the Chiefs will pull it out. If that makes any sense. Hope it's not close, I'm getting tired of watching the celebratory jumping up and down in Swift's luxury suite. Big Grin

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of stevetrek
posted Hide Post
like the Chiefs vs. the Ravens. Although they got lucky with a missed field goal.

Posts: 905 | Location: IL | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
In previous years, the Ravens were injured but they're mostly healthy now. The Chiefs are better but not better than the Ravens.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Didn't pick the Lions to win, but it was a toss up and they just came down better than the Bucs. But I think no matter which one it was, the 49ers should run them over on the way to the Super Bowl.

Now with the Ravens, it does look like this is their year, but they have not been big winners in past playoffs. I think they well may have a lot of trouble with the Chiefs, who look better than they have all season.

The Ravens have home field and for some reason I can see them taking it in a blowout, but if its close in the 4th, I think the Chiefs will pull it out. If that makes any sense. Hope it's not close, I'm getting tired of watching the celebratory jumping up and down in Swift's luxury suite. Big Grin

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Well there may not be any crying in Baseball, but looks like its OK for Football. At least there sure was a lot of bawling on the Ravens sidelines just now. Big Grin

What a lost opportunity for a team that may have been ready physically but was not ready mentally to win. The Chiefs played the Ravens for suckers and the Ravens played right along. Jackson never looked right, never moved right, never threw right. And Flowers blew up the game with his arrogant taunting, only to lose the ball heading into the end zone.

That was the story of the Ravens game. They wanted it so badly that they were too aggressive on defense and too tight on offense. They were healthy and they lost their minds and the season. I would also blame the coaching staff for not controlling the players and preparing them better.

Yeah, the Chiefs are better than the Ravens and probably better than both the 49ers and the Lions. Swift didn't need to take the Super Bowl gig to get in the stands and won't that be a nauseating sight for the opposition. Razz

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Maybe it will be a better Super Bowl than I thought. At this point, Chiefs look dominant, but the 49ers showed something tonight. I thought they would take the Lions easy, but being down 17 points in the first half looked like they were also going to abandon their whole season plays, as did the Ravens.

Well they played through it smartly, got a great break with the ball off the helmet catch, and came back strong. They have a good balance as a team. Two things have to happen to beat the Chiefs.

Purdy has to play well the whole game and not give a half away and the 49ers defense has to lock up Kelce on every crucial play. If they can do that, they have a chance.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that sure didn't go the way I thought it would. Flowers just learned how the game can humble you. He thought he'd show up the defender but he already did with a great play. He subtracted from his brief success with the penalty yards and then fumbled a half-yard from paydirt. Then, he hurt his hand pounding on the bench.

Jackson made some good plays but then he threw an interception in the red zone.

I didn't see the Chiefs making to the Super Bowl this year. I fugured they were going to need another draft before they got to the AFC Championship again but their defense got better as the seasom went on and the whole team played tougher against tough teams in the playoffs. Every team knows they have to stop Kelce from catching the ball so they scheme for him. He doesn't look fast either but he still gets open.

The weird thing is I almost picked Buffalo last week but had a feeling the Chiefs were going to be at least one play better. Now, I have to think about the Super Bowl match-up. I think the 49ers are going to be favored by a field goal or a little more but I might have to go with the Chiefs. They have what they call in boxing, "ring-savvy." They've been there before a few times and they're healthy so they should have the edge.

quote:
Well there may not be any crying in Baseball, but looks like its OK for Football. At least there sure was a lot of bawling on the Ravens sidelines just now. Big Grin

What a lost opportunity for a team that may have been ready physically but was not ready mentally to win. The Chiefs played the Ravens for suckers and the Ravens played right along. Jackson never looked right, never moved right, never threw right. And Flowers blew up the game with his arrogant taunting, only to lose the ball heading into the end zone.

That was the story of the Ravens game. They wanted it so badly that they were too aggressive on defense and too tight on offense. They were healthy and they lost their minds and the season. I would also blame the coaching staff for not controlling the players and preparing them better.

Yeah, the Chiefs are better than the Ravens and probably better than both the 49ers and the Lions. Swift didn't need to take the Super Bowl gig to get in the stands and won't that be a nauseating sight for the opposition. Razz

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It looked like the Lions got a little tight after the 49ers got a touchdownn and then that fumble recovery in the second half. Goff threw a couple of great passes that were dropped especially that one on 3rd Down. Many teams have to deal with a loss like that to get to the next step. I've seen one analyst already picking Green Bay to win the NFC North next season. Hold on. This loss is still going to leave a sting when they open camp and when they play their first regular season game. It's that much more motivation when you lose by three points after leading by seventeen one game short of the Superbowl.

quote:
Maybe it will be a better Super Bowl than I thought. At this point, Chiefs look dominant, but the 49ers showed something tonight. I thought they would take the Lions easy, but being down 17 points in the first half looked like they were also going to abandon their whole season plays, as did the Ravens.

Well they played through it smartly, got a great break with the ball off the helmet catch, and came back strong. They have a good balance as a team. Two things have to happen to beat the Chiefs.

Purdy has to play well the whole game and not give a half away and the 49ers defense has to lock up Kelce on every crucial play. If they can do that, they have a chance.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of stevetrek
posted Hide Post
The Chiefs defense played in top form. Jones had a great game even though he was hurt and exhausted.

The 49ers were a different team in the second half. The o line stepped up and they pounded the ball on the ground.

Posts: 905 | Location: IL | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure if it was the Chiefs defense or the collapse of Lamarr Jackson and the play calling. Couldn't he read the defense? Did he choke? Did the team get too cocky and forget they had to play? Maybe the Ravens just aren't coached good enough when the playoffs start? There are going to be a lot of questions about this team and they are going to change some players for next year.

And Jackson won't be an elite QB until he proves he can win it all. He looked lost at times yesterday.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
As a fan who had no team left, I only had one team left to root for.....unfortunately they choked in the second half.

Posts: 4871 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Well there's always the Super Bowl commercials. Saw my first preview one today, "Mayo Cat". At least it wasn't a tearjerker. Big Grin

There is also a FanDuel wager going on for those people who will wager on anything. It's that Kelce proposes to Swift on field after the Chiefs win the game. Or after they lose it, really doesn't say, but they probably wouldn't be on the field if the Chiefs lost.

I think you should be able to double your money if he does and she sends his Tightend packing, but that's just my idea. Wink

So you see, you don't have to have a favorite team in the fight to enjoy the spectacle. The football game is just an excuse to sell commercials at 6.5M per 30 seconds of airtime, watch a half time Vegas act and wait for a cute cuddle to break the internet. Luv You

And then there is always the chance that your box could come in. Smile

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of spidergoblin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well there's always the Super Bowl commercials. Saw my first preview one today, "Mayo Cat". At least it wasn't a tearjerker. Big Grin

There is also a FanDuel wager going on for those people who will wager on anything. It's that Kelce proposes to Swift on field after the Chiefs win the game. Or after they lose it, really doesn't say, but they probably wouldn't be on the field if the Chiefs lost.

I think you should be able to double your money if he does and she sends his Tightend packing, but that's just my idea. Wink

So you see, you don't have to have a favorite team in the fight to enjoy the spectacle. The football game is just an excuse to sell commercials at 6.5M per 30 seconds of airtime, watch a half time Vegas act and wait for a cute cuddle to break the internet. Luv You

And then there is always the chance that your box could come in. Smile

Seen a Jenna Ortega/Doritos one floating around on facebook.

"nuff said"

"it traps,it kills,it eats....that's what a good spider does"
Alice Cooper

Posts: 10450 | Location: Lubbock,TX | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
There's another wonderful Super Bowl ad from Peta starring Edie Falco. You can call this one "Please Don't Take My Cheese Away". It takes a while for you to realize the point of this one, but it's from Peta, so you know it will make you feel bad somehow.

Yeah, it's your cheese consumption that's cruel to mother cows. I did not know that! Now that I do, how can I enjoy my pizza? Only starving and unclothed vegans can feel good after watching Peta ads. Big Grin

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Patrick Stewart has a funny commercial with cartoon characters and a bunch of familiar faces. I think this one is just to promote the Super Bowl, but honestly, I don't know. Sad when the ads are over your head. Either the advertisers are way too clever, or I'm too dumb. Big Grin

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Maybe Las Vegas wasn't the smartest place to book a Super Bowl. People are talking like it's Sodom and Gomorrah time out there, but it's all OK because football is a national tradition.

Wait till Taylor Swift arrives with all her entourage and fans. Who needs gladiators? Big Grin

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Taylor Swift has touched down in LA, ensuring that she will get to the Super Bowl on time.

"Love means flying 13 hours in your private jet" should replace "Love means never having to say you're sorry" in my opinion. Big Grin

I really hope the 49ers win. Nothing to do with her, SF just seems to have some players on it with nice personal histories.