Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dec 2023/Jan 2024 NSU Out
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted
I guess the year must be over. The last issue of 2023 has arrived, and Strange New Worlds is on the cover.

Two promos included. I got "UFO Legend and Lore Promo 1" and "Ancient Egypt" unnumbered. Both are the same as photos on the cover, so these may be the only ones in there.

As well as the cover story, articles on "The Golden Girls" and "Pee Wee's Big Adventure" and "Christmas Cards" for the season. "Top Ten 3-D Sets" is the list this time around, but those I never really looked for, not the movies either. When you already wear glasses, the 3-D glasses don't actually work that well. Big Grin

Posts: 10399 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
Received mine yesterday. Nice timing on the “Vintage: Christmas Cards” feature Thumb Up

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Article on "The Golden Girls"? Is it referring to the series? How is it tied to NS cards?

Posts: 2207 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
It's called "Golden Oldies" and its mainly an informational with Jeff Betau of Cardsmiths about their upcoming "The Golden Girls Series 1" cards. There are just a few card photos.

Posts: 10399 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

In an era when autographs drive so much of NS cards, that's an odd series to make a set of, since all of the principals are dead.

Posts: 2207 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
Thanks.

In an era when autographs drive so much of NS cards, that's an odd series to make a set of, since all of the principals are dead.

There is a base set and parallel cards. There are mass-produced illustrated cards, rather than hand drawn sketches. No premium hits are mentioned and probably not really feasible for a show that ended in 1992.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I wonder what level of research concluded that a "Golden Girls" card set would be something to make money on especially with no main cast autographs possible (other than cuts). Or was it something out of left field in a meeting just before lunch?...

"Uh, Star Trek and Star Wars are covered. Somebody just did a monster set and someody else did a dinosaur set. There's already been a recent set about pirate girls. Hey, what about that show, Golden Girls?

Posts: 4391 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
Thanks.

Same company that made the stand-alone (not baseball) Bob Ross Set.

They are getting their product placed in GameStop Stores, but I too wonder who and how it was decided that Golden Girls was a good idea.

But I've sold some of the Bob Ross cards, so maybe there is a nostalgia thing that helps.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5080 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
I wonder what level of research concluded that a "Golden Girls" card set would be something to make money on especially with no main cast autographs possible (other than cuts). Or was it something out of left field in a meeting just before lunch?...

"Uh, Star Trek and Star Wars are covered. Somebody just did a monster set and someody else did a dinosaur set. There's already been a recent set about pirate girls. Hey, what about that show, Golden Girls?

Golden Girls had a crazy resurgence in the past 5 years. It's definitely died down, but for whatever reason the younger generation rediscovered and went crazy over it for a while.

Posts: 1569 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have seen Golden Girls candy at a store in PA, much to my surprise.

Posts: 4717 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
I have seen Golden Girls candy at a store in PA, much to my surprise.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I am pretty sure that I also saw one with a chocolate version of Betty White's teddy bear.

Posts: 4717 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
My copy arrived today

Posts: 12157 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My copy might also be in the country, however in my area, letter post is being intentionally delayed as the area management are following instructions from further up the chain of command to only concentrate mail deliveries that make a profit for the company which is privately owned. My postman tells me that letter post is not profit making. I am expecting the next delivery to be either Tuesday or Wednesday unless by some miracle a parcel is being delivered as the postman has said he will try to include letter post with any parcel delivery.

Last week Royal Mail were fined by its regulatory board for not reaching its delivery targets in letter post. In my road we have only had one delivery this week instead of 6. I believe the problem is also lack of staff which is likely to get worse as the Royal Mail countrywide have increased the size of the postman's round by at least a minimum of 20%.

regards

John

Posts: 2120 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
John,

Don't give the United States Postal Service any ideas. It's true the United States Postal Service has PPriority Mail" which gets your package pretty much anywhere in the US within 2-3 days but sometimes Parcel Post or Media Mail is about as fast. You would think Royal Mail wouldn't want the backlog in the warehouse.

Theoretically, with the cost of a stamp or other post office service always increasing, we would assume every kind of mail delivery generates a profit.

Posts: 4391 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Theoretically, with the cost of a stamp or other post office service always increasing, we would assume every kind of mail delivery generates a profit.

Theoretically, if the thing was properly managed, but it's not. Now the US Post Office seems to be able to raise the price of stamps and parcels whenever it cries poverty. At least they are still delivering 6 days a week. That situation in the UK sounds ridiculous. I'm surprised there isn't a protest.

Not that it helps of course. Just look at the MTA in New York City. The Transit Authority raises fares and is skimming money off of all sorts of other taxes that we have to pay. Next up is Congestion Pricing that will throw Manhattan into turmoil, close up businesses, raise product costs, and make driving in the City a rich man's hobby. I believe we might have the UK to thank for that wonderful idea. Big Grin

None of it will matter. You can give the MTA a fortune, throw good money in after bad, and they will never have enough because it all gets wasted somewhere. Same as the Post Office, they just lose money whenever you hear them. Rant over, I'm getting my NSU pretty good anyway. Smile

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:

Theoretically, if the thing was properly managed, but it's not. Now the US Post Office seems to be able to raise the price of stamps and parcels whenever it cries poverty. At least they are still delivering 6 days a week. That situation in the UK sounds ridiculous. I'm surprised there isn't a protest. Smile

It would appear John's area is different to others as I'm still getting post delivered 6 days a week. Royal Mail have increased the cost of first class mail considerably (47% over last 18 months). These stats show an interesting trend - In 2004-05 Royal Mail handled 20bn letters a year but by 2022-23 the figure had fallen to 7bn. Meanwhile, the number of addresses to be delivered to has increased by 4m. I wonder if the same trend is occuring world wide?

Posts: 12157 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Don't get me started with the same problem we have with BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit System), our Monorail of the future born in the 70's. It was going to radiate out all over the SF Bay Areaby the end of the century but there were delays and cost overruns. However, BART did save money by not hiring enough police so there was a lot of crime and then the pandemic hit and it lost about half its ridership. Now, BART is crying that it needs billions just to keep running, not counting the already-planned extensions. They've (we've) thrown billions at it already. I'm sure that money somehow paid for some nice mansions and maid service and don't forget those superyachts. Only a loser has just a normal yacht.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:

Theoretically, if the thing was properly managed, but it's not. Now the US Post Office seems to be able to raise the price of stamps and parcels whenever it cries poverty. At least they are still delivering 6 days a week. That situation in the UK sounds ridiculous. I'm surprised there isn't a protest.

Not that it helps of course. Just look at the MTA in New York City. The Transit Authority raises fares and is skimming money off of all sorts of other taxes that we have to pay. Next up is Congestion Pricing that will throw Manhattan into turmoil, close up businesses, raise product costs, and make driving in the City a rich man's hobby. I believe we might have the UK to thank for that wonderful idea. Big Grin

None of it will matter. You can give the MTA a fortune, throw good money in after bad, and they will never have enough because it all gets wasted somewhere. Same as the Post Office, they just lose money whenever you hear them. Rant over, I'm getting my NSU pretty good anyway. Smile

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I went to a B&N today but the new issue still hasn't arrived. It's usually on the shelf about three weeks after someone starts one of these issue arrival threads. I saw other Beckett publications on the shelf so I assume it's just a little late.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
I saw 4 on the shelf of B&N today . . . and one of the previous issue.

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post