Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Shows & Conventions    New York Comic Con
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New York Comic Con
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jessica
posted
So, I was able to snag tickets to Saturday at New York Comic Con in October. I've been to many cons, but this is my first time at this one. As far as I understand it, it is like a smaller San Diego Comic Con? But still huge.
The biggest cons I've been to are Dragoncon (Atlanta) and Awesomecon (DC).

Anyway, who else is going and is there usually a NSU meetup?

Anyone have any insight or tips for this particular con? I'm nervous about the size and amount of people that will be there. I'm disabled and walk with a rolling walker (rollater) which usually causes frustration in terms of getting through throngs of people when places are packed. So we'll see LOL! I will be checking out their disability services at the con.

I can't wait though! So, who is going? And if you are and are looking for cards, let me know as I am planning on trimming down my collection significantly!

Posts: 1952 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA | Registered: May 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
The Big Chief Alan Biegel and myself will be
there on Thursday so I can make the Philly Show on Friday. It’s a fun show you will have a good time.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
The Javits Center is very large. The last time I went to the NYCC it was spread out on more than one level, but it was quite crowded. That was pre-Covid and I think they have made an effort to hold down attendance a bit more now.

It's a fun show just to see the cosplay going on and take in the promotions. Unless things have changed a lot, there was a ton of art and artists and comics and autograph signers, but not so much by way of non-sport cards. I've been there twice and picked up several items as souvenirs and in-person autographs, but no cards that I couldn't find elsewhere for less. Either you will spend more than you expected, or you won't buy much. Seems to be no in between.

It's about the experience, more so than the necessity to go if you are a non-sport card collector. Go early and be prepared to stay all day. Depending on what you are interested in, the lines can be very long and time consuming. Autograph signings of anybody even somewhat known are the worst.

This year some of the panels and promotions may be cut out if they still haven't resolved the SAG-AFTRA, but it's a long way off, so that may not be an issue. NYCC was never as good as SDCC as far as panels went, but it usually does boost a handful of star appearances that can be really expensive if you want to get a personal signing.

If you have the opportunity, I would suggest that you get an artist to do something special for you. That's always a good remembrance. Hope you have a wonderful time. Smile

Posts: 10399 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jessica
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batman:
The Big Chief Alan Biegel and myself will be
there on Thursday so I can make the Philly Show on Friday. It’s a fun show you will have a good time.

I didn't realize it was the same weekend of the card show! Frown

Posts: 1952 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA | Registered: May 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jessica
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jessica:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
The Javits Center is very large. The last time I went to the NYCC it was spread out on more than one level, but it was quite crowded. That was pre-Covid and I think they have made an effort to hold down attendance a bit more now. [QUOTE]

That's what I'm worried about, the crowds. Ack! LOL! I hope it is ok. The small con we went to the other week here in MD was pretty packed although I know nothing like NYCC and I had a total sensory overload and only lasted 2 hours (even though I bought 3 day tickets), also my body didn't let me do more time there, unfortunately.

quote:
It's a fun show just to see the cosplay going on and take in the promotions. Unless things have changed a lot, there was a ton of art and artists and comics and autograph signers, but not so much by way of non-sport cards. I've been there twice and picked up several items as souvenirs and in-person autographs, but no cards that I couldn't find elsewhere for less. Either you will spend more than you expected, or you won't buy much. Seems to be no in between.
quote:

I love finding original artwork and prints. I love artists alleys! I really look forward to that. I probably won't get cards though, even if I find any, unless it is something I must have Big Grin

quote:
It's about the experience, more so than the necessity to go if you are a non-sport card collector. Go early and be prepared to stay all day. Depending on what you are interested in, the lines can be very long and time consuming. Autograph signings of anybody even somewhat known are the worst.
quote:

Yeah, for us we are only going for the basic experience. The only star that I would like to see would be Rhys Darby. But that's even a "like" rather than a "must". I'm not going to do the long lines, I just can't anymore physically.

quote:
This year some of the panels and promotions may be cut out if they still haven't resolved the SAG-AFTRA, but it's a long way off, so that may not be an issue. NYCC was never as good as SDCC as far as panels went, but it usually does boost a handful of star appearances that can be really expensive if you want to get a personal signing.
quote:

I don't think I could ever do SDCC, what I've seen of that is just incredibly overwhelming. Shoot, DragonCon was overwhelming at times for me. LOL!! So, I'm worried about NYCC for me! Pray for me LMAO!! Big Grin

quote:
If you have the opportunity, I would suggest that you get an artist to do something special for you. That's always a good remembrance. Hope you have a wonderful time. Smile
quote:

Oh, I absolute will have an artist do something, I love that kind of stuff!!! You should see my art collection, I really need to go through and do something about it, I can't hang it all up because of wall space, so .... Smile

And thanks for the info!!! I appreciate it. I can't wait to be honest. I think it will be fun, we are thinking of driving up on Friday and staying Friday night and Saturday night. I know we will be beat when we leave the con Saturday so making that 4-5 hours drive home would be awful!

Let's see if the comments between quotes worked right now... I think I fixed it Clap

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Hope you have a nice time Jessica and manage to do some of the things you want to do. Wavey

Posts: 29001 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I was there once and I don't know if I'll ever go again. I normally don't mind crowds, and am fine getting into it at concerts, but the crowd at NYCC when I went was unbearable. I had an hour at the Topps booth, but otherwise was free to roam and never even made it from one end to the other, there were just so many people. This was also quite a few years ago, maybe they've gotten better with crowd management?

Sorry to be Dastick Downer. I do know Batman and Alan have both said post-COVID the crowds have seemed better. Best of luck, I hope you enjoy it!!

Posts: 1570 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jessica
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
Hope you have a nice time Jessica and manage to do some of the things you want to do. Wavey

Thanks so much Wolfie!!!

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jessica
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
I was there once and I don't know if I'll ever go again. I normally don't mind crowds, and am fine getting into it at concerts, but the crowd at NYCC when I went was unbearable. I had an hour at the Topps booth, but otherwise was free to roam and never even made it from one end to the other, there were just so many people. This was also quite a few years ago, maybe they've gotten better with crowd management?

Sorry to be Dastick Downer. I do know Batman and Alan have both said post-COVID the crowds have seemed better. Best of luck, I hope you enjoy it!!

No, you are not being a downer! I appreciate the honesty. This is what I'm most apprehensive about, I hate crowds and people LOL! I'm not sure I will be able to handle it to be honest. I mean, I went to DragonCon once and swore to never go again because of that LOL! I actually can't believe that I decided to get tickets (and I am so surprised that my husband was ok to go with me LOL!). I just hope it is not too bad and that there are at least some dark corners that I can go to get away from people!

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jessica:
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:

No, you are not being a downer! I appreciate the honesty. This is what I'm most apprehensive about, I hate crowds and people LOL! I'm not sure I will be able to handle it to be honest. I mean, I went to DragonCon once and swore to never go again because of that LOL! I actually can't believe that I decided to get tickets (and I am so surprised that my husband was ok to go with me LOL!). I just hope it is not too bad and that there are at least some dark corners that I can go to get away from people!

Just put some James Bond gadgets on your rollator and clear a path! Big Grin

Posts: 1570 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jessica
posted Hide Post
Soooo, my plans have changed. We can't go to NYCC, for health reasons. Frown Makes me so sad and mad! I had a surgery about a month ago and had some issues, then got Covid and had it bad. Still trying to heal with the breathing and complete lack of stamina issues, etc. (which the stamina was bad before Covid due to the surgery). Ugh!!!!

Anyway, have fun everyone who gets to go!!! We were planning to come to the Philly show on the way back down from NY to MD on Sunday morning (we were only going to NYCC on Saturday). But we decided we might come up to the show on Saturday instead, maybe even staying for Sunday. Not sure. I think I will be able to maneuver the Philly show much better than NYCC.

If you go to NYCC, please post some stories and your shopping/autograph haul here!! I would really love to hear/see everything!! I will live vicariously through you Big Grin

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Sorry you have to skip it, but health is always the most important thing. Be well. Smile

Posts: 10399 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jessica
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Sorry you have to skip it, but health is always the most important thing. Be well. Smile

Thanks Raven! I'm going to try again next year. Hopefully I am better by then (I better be better!!!!!).

NSU Editor-in-Chief
Picture of A_Biegel
posted Hide Post
My NYCC23 show report is up on the Beckett blog at https://www.beckett.com/news/author/alanbiegel/ It features more trading cards than you'd expect with a special appearance by The Batman!

~Alan

Posts: 189 | Location: Bayonne, NJ USA | Registered: December 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
What were the Star Wars promos by Topps at the show ?

Posts: 4006 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Yes I won a pack going through the Topps Factory game. They were not handing out promos on Thursday you had to make an appointment to get in line for the game. You needed at least two packs to make the 10 card set I believe. They have the NYCC logo on the card backs.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. I could be mistaken but I see the Star Wars packs and they seem to contain 5 cards each with numbers on the backs as high as 15. So maybe you need at least 3 packs for a set ?

Posts: 4006 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
It’s possible my highest card was numbered to 10 but there easily could be more.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A_Biegel:
My NYCC23 show report is up on the Beckett blog at https://www.beckett.com/news/author/alanbiegel/ It features more trading cards than you'd expect with a special appearance by The Batman!

~Alan

great report

Posts: 12157 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
From Alan's report: " Cryptozoic Entertainment, for one, offered a wonderful, show-exclusive, dual LOTR autograph card of Dominic Monaghan and Billy Boyd for $150."

And one has already sold on ebay for $450.

Posts: 2207 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post