Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Booksmith Cards
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Card 847. Ivan Doig.

Somewhere between card #811 and 847, the cards started getting dated "2006" instead of "2005."

The book promoted on the card ended up being a New York Times bestseller.

Posts: 4411 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Card 862. Andrew Vachss.

He's known by many as a mystery novelist but he did so much in his life (passed away in 2021). Of interest to many on Card Talk would be the comic books and graphic novels he wrote including, "Batman: The Ultimate Evil" (1995) and "Predator: Race War" (1993).

Posts: 4411 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Card 878. Andy Summers.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Card 880. Simon Winchester.

"A Crack in the Edge of the World: America and the Great California Earthquake of 1906" is the second of two books out of all 1080 books promoted with these cards that I have read. Either I need to read more or I have just been reading all the wrong books.

This one has relevance for me since I have lived my whole life in or near San Jose which is about 50 miles south of San Francisco. I experienced the Loma Prieta Earthquake in 1989 but that was apparently just a minor shake-up next to the 1906 quake. I hadn't read any of Winchester's books before reading this one. It's quite detailed and yet very readable. He tells real stories very well, and since he is a geologist, he knows the subject. A scientist doesn't always have the gift of being able to talk to a mainstream audience as well as talk shop with fellow scientists but Winchester has that gift. I recommend it to any science or history buff especially if you're interested in San Francisco/California history. However, after reading it, I've been thinking of moving to Utah or anywhere else hundreds of miles from the San Andreas Fault.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Winchester's book "The Professor and the Madman" is much better than any book about a dictionary has any right to be (has anyone see the movie with Mel Gibson and Sean Penn?).

Posts: 2216 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Card 881. Annie Leibovitz.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Getting back to more Booksmith cards...

Card 883. Science writer, Mary Roach.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Card 895. One of the early cyberpunk authors, Rudy Rucker.

This is one of the early cards with the 2007 date.