Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    James Bond Archives- Final Edition.
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

James Bond Archives- Final Edition.
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I wonder why the Connery cut is not serial numbered? I don't recall ever seeing a Rittenhouse cut that isn't hand numbered. It makes me think that more of the Connery cut exist than we perceive the number to be.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
I don't think that's it.

1. Not Numbering makes them ALL Equal, With the Prices that The #1's have gone for....I sorta see it. ( I think this is VASTLY Under Priced! )

2. It looks Sharp as Hell Unnumbered & May Well have been the Card they Planned to Get Sean Connery To Sign based on the back of the Card...that got redone as a cut signature card.

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kryten67:
May Well have been the Card they Planned to Get Sean Connery To Sign based on the back of the Card...that got redone as a cut signature card.

To be honest that's what I was thinking also. There's too much empty white space on both sides. It looks like it could've been originally planned to be standard size, and possibly as a regular on-card autograph. Adding to that theory is the text on the back that doesn't sound normal for a cut. Maybe they had the standard autograph card design planned just in case they ever got him to sign and decided to use it here in this way.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
quote:
May Well have been the Card they Planned to Get Sean Connery To Sign based on the back of the Card...that got redone as a cut signature card.

To be honest that's what I was thinking also. There's too much empty white space on both sides. It looks like it could've been originally planned to be standard size, and possibly as a regular on-card autograph. Adding to that theory is the text on the back that doesn't sound normal for a cut. Maybe they had the standard autograph card design planned just in case they ever got him to sign and decided to use it here in this way.

But you really can't convert a card made for a normal on-card autograph into the type of die cut necessary for a cut signature, can you?

I mean I understand why you might get that impression, but a cut signature has to be impeded into a window made into the card. That's why the card is thicker. I can't really see a window on the few Connery cuts photos we have. The box does look like the space left for an on-card autograph, which would seem to mean the signed portion was just stuck on with glue. I'm sure that can't be right.

I would be very interested in a description of this card from someone who actually has it in his/her possession. Also what is the source material and are they all on such a clean background? That is also not normally the case with cuts.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
Until they were fairly convinced he would sign, They wouldn't have made the Card so the design was on a Computer somewhere in a Hopeful Folder....

they knew they weren't going to get him & this was the Last Set (For a while, Hopefully RA will do the New Movies as they are released.) They probably chose this design because it would make a Very Nice Cut Signature Card & they could Go Out with a Bang!

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
Bond Archives Promo P2 < Facebook > Exclusive

http://www.scifihobby.com/facebook-offer.cfm

posted Hide Post
Roger Moore - Richard Kiel Dual Autograph Card

is up:

https://www.scifihobby.com/sto...MRKDUALAUTO&CatID=16

Posts: 38 | Location: Germany | Registered: February 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ledmax:
Roger Moore - Richard Kiel Dual Autograph Card

is up:

https://www.scifihobby.com/sto...MRKDUALAUTO&CatID=16

Nice to have another shot at a very cool card but makes you wonder just how much other great stuff is languishing in the vault. Particularly the incredibly hard to get incentive cards that may never have all got to market in the first place because dealers didn't order in certain quantities.

I do hope we never see an Inkworks situation where any warehoused RA Bond product gets dumped. I don't collect for investment at all but it would be nice to know the stuff you buy has a value sort of close to what you paid, give or take.

I met Inkworks' Uncle Alan at a Memorabilia show here in the UK many years back, and he said to me that as they no longer held the Bond licence, all leftover stock had to be destroyed. I totally understand their need to get some value out of inventory when they were winding the business up but I found it so shady they lied to the licensor and the collector and absolutely obliterated the secondary market for their Bond cards.

I wish I hadn't already got all my stuff because you can buy all the Inkworks cards for almost nothing now, and what a bargain they are for newbies - they are nice cards after all.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
there is a Sean Connery Cut Signature Card on a certain auction website up for open auction. starting bid was $999.00....4 days left.....

NOT MINE

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
The Rittenhouse sight says the Moore/Kiel card is from the 50th Anniversary set. Is that correct?

Aren't some of the Inkworks autographs cards still in the high dollar range? I haven't checked lately.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
The Rittenhouse sight says the Moore/Kiel card is from the 50th Anniversary set. Is that correct?

Aren't some of the Inkworks autographs cards still in the high dollar range? I haven't checked lately.

Yes, the dual Moore/Kiel was the 6 case incentive in 50th Anniversary Series 2.

As for the Inkworks Bond autograph cards, although the swift demise of that company led to a massive dump of autograph cards, I'm not sure how much it affected the Bond title. Unless I'm wrong, because I really was not collecting them back then, the only 2 Inkworks Bond sets with autographs were Women of James Bond Supervue in 1998 and The World Is Not Enough in 1999.

That was a total of 11 autographs, 5 for Women and 6 for TWINE. So even if Inkworks lied about destroying all stock, in terms of their Bond autograph cards at least, they really hadn't produced that many before the point that RA took over the license. Just how many Bond autographs could have been in the vault when they folded could not have been anywhere as bad as the number of signed cards from other Inkworks titles that got sold to Razor and were subsequently dumped in mass.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:

The Desmond Llewelyn and Lois Maxwell are still worth a bit but i would be very wary of paying much for any of the others as there seems to be an unlimited supply of them.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by cardaddict:

Judi Dench, Denise Richards and Shirley Eaton were also the better names in that group of 11 Bond autograph cards released by Inkworks. All 11 of them were redemption cards, so its not surprising that Inkworks was still holding on to the unredeemed supply when it shut down, despite having said otherwise.

I don't know about there being an unlimited supply, but a quick check finds a few for sale in the usual places. The thing is, most of the sellers appear to be UK based, so maybe you would see more of these available in the UK market than over here.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by cardaddict:

Judi Dench, Denise Richards and Shirley Eaton were also the better names in that group of 11 Bond autograph cards released by Inkworks. All 11 of them were redemption cards, so its not surprising that Inkworks was still holding on to the unredeemed supply when it shut down, despite having said otherwise.

I don't know about there being an unlimited supply, but a quick check finds a few for sale in the usual places. The thing is, most of the sellers appear to be UK based, so maybe you would see more of these available in the UK market than over here.

A UK seller bought a huge chunk of Inkworks inventory that didn't go to RAZOR. That's why more is seen here. It could have just as easily been a US seller. As wolfie said, apart from Llewelyn and Maxwell there does seem to be a never ending supply of the other 9 autos.

No doubt you're right Raven and the fact they were all via redemption added to the situation.

Don't know how many know the story but Desmond Llewelyn had not returned his autograph cards before he passed away and naturally Inkworks thought he had never got around to signing them, just one of those things.

Then shortly after his passing, his family clearing through his belongings, found his stack of autograph cards he had completed and returned them on his behalf. Fans being able to get autograph cards seems such a trivial thing, especially when we'd all much rather have the man himself still with us, but I thought that was a nice gesture for a grieving family and one his fans no doubt appreciated.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Well, what an eventful week it has been in the Bond world...

First the tragic news about Roger Moore and then the news RA are halting their Bond cards.

This set does seem bitterweet given how heavily loaded up it is on Roger Moore, the clearing of the decks with regards certain repeat autos and the Connery cut being (a seemingly) one big last hurrah.

But I still think we will see more. Yes we have had loads of compilation sets and now all the films have been given their own throwback set, but I you have to look at RA's track record.

I do not think Steve would deliberately leave gaps in the auto runs. The few gaps we still have are almost a tease to keep us hanging on. Knowing how much Steve Charendoff likes the Bond films, particularly the Connery ones, I would put money on certain cards still being "in the vault"...

There is NO WAY that after tracking down Bianchi, one of the rarest Bond actors bar none, that he would not have her sign Women of Bond auto cards.

And given his efforts on the 40th Anniversary series, when we have only had 3 SPECTRE signers on board, are you telling me that Steve didn't have Cremona, Bautista and Seydoux sign the 40th style cards we haven't seen from them yet?

I understand there may be some Trek-like fatigue with the Bond series, and the many repeat autos certainly had their critics, but maybe a breather will build up anticipation for another set and give RA time to find more new signers from an increasingly smaller pool of talent.
Whilst I do not believe this will be the last Bond set we will see from RA, it is sad to think some names may just never sign cards. I suppose I am used to being spoiled and surprised by who we have been given over the last 15 years. Nobody can fault their sterling efforts and the hundreds of names we have been treated to. As a very fussy collector I have been continually impressed.

Even if this is the last set (for now) it looks the strongest for a while. Whilst obviously sad about Roger Moore, this set is some small tribute to the great man. Plus a strong and attractive autograph lineup with some great names, even if mostly repeats.

The Connery card is cool and doesn't look to draw the daft money the Trek ones did, but it leaves me a bit cold. I'm not in the market for it but the design is a little flat: I like the listing of all the film titles on the front but why use a miniature picture when there is so much dead space on either side of the signature? How big is the card (it looks to be oversized)? Because of the dead/white space on either side could it have been made smaller? Anyway those are nitpicks.
Finally, I'm not going to make any definitive statements but of all the cuts seen so far, there is one signature I really do NOT like the look of.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
I do like the look of the Cut Signature Card..

It's a Very Simple & Clean Card.... and it has the Distinction of the Sean Connery Image being in the Center of card above the Cut,,,setting it apart from the other Small Image Autograph Cards....

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I agree with X. I don't like the design of the Connery cut. I was expecting something more colorful and eye-catching considering the card's significance. I wanted to look at it and say "Wow! That is one awesome card!" but this card just doesn't elicit that reaction from me.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do like the look of the Cut Signature Card..

It's a Very Simple & Clean Card.... and it has the Distinction of the Sean Connery Image being in the Center of card above the Cut,,,setting it apart from the other Small Image Autograph Cards....

Confused

I don't get the relevance of the image of Connery being in the centre of the card?

The 40th style Craig card is a MUCH nicer design IMO and you posting it has made me realise just how tiny the photo of Connery actually is. As if the 40th/WOB auto pics weren't small enough.

I'm sorry but Connery card has so much wasted space and the "James Bond 007" text is just too big. The more I look at it the more I really don't like it. How much better do ALL the Trek cuts look that have been made over the years?

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
I'd Love to have seen them numbered...

Glad I didn't pull this one....

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
quote:
the Shima WA56

has 2 open Auction Sales & is getting just over $200 on Average...

We will see how Sean Connery Does tonight....

Open Auction ends in a bit..still only one bid @ $999