Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Alien Anthology (Upper Deck)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alien Anthology (Upper Deck)
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted
Just recently heard about this set, suprised it has not had a mention on here yet. The first Alien set in 18 years. I can't quite believe someone is making it. Due out late March.

To save linking to the competition the set composition:

- 100 card base set (artwork, not movie stills)
- Foil base parallels
- Chase cards: Character Bios, Weyland Yutani Propaganda Posters, Legendary Encounters deck game artwork (1:7.5 packs)
- Replica marine dog tags (1:20 packs)
- Dog tag autograph cards (1:4 cases, numbered to 5 each)
- 1/1 Printing Plates
- Artist autographs
- Actor autographs
- Dual actor autographs
- Sketch cards

No confirmed names but Tim Shay has been shown on a sketch card, Ian Holm on an auto mock up and Bill Paxton on a dog tag auto card mock up. Plus, as I have read elsewhere and as has been confirmed by Logan in another thread, Sigourney Weaver is on board. Clap I'd be even more excited if I hadn't already had her sign some Alien Legacy cards for me at a convention last year.
Nonetheless, this set sounds like it could be epic. If Sigourney Weaver is in, well, it doesn't get any better than that really. Apart from Winona Ryder I think near enough every cast member from all 4 films could be a possible signer and it will be interesting to see just how comprehensive Upper Deck go now they have the star. I hope they don't just rest on their laurels with Weaver and dig deep on these big and great casts.

Box Break should contain:
1x base set
8x inserts
1x space marine dog tag
1x actor auto, artist auto OR sketch card

Case Break should contain:
6x actor autos
2x artist autos
3x sketch cards
1x dual actor auto OR dog tag auto

I am so excited to see how this set turns out. I have loved these films even before I was into Bond, and will be the first modern set I chase seriously besides Bond. Anyone have much experience with Upper Deck non-sports? I know their Marvel properties can have some scary big checklists with some serious short prints, and that the autos will 99.9% be stickers. Besides that I'm a novice.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
X, I am a huge Alien fan and I was really excited when I heard UD was doing a wrap around with all 4 movies. Then I heard nothing about it anymore until recently when a couple of typically vague articles made Card Connection and Beckett.

I have not yet heard that Weaver has come on board. I have not heard that any actors are signed, but there have been mock cards. Sorry UD, but I don't believe your pre-release mock autograph cards since they don't always show up in the product.

What I do know is that the base cards are art based, meaning it will look like the recent Firefly. There will be random sketches, actor signatures and certainly artist autographs, plus dog tags, inserts and the usual stuff.

You are not going to be guaranteed an autograph or sketch in every box, UD doesn't do that.

So yes, I'm happy the title is coming out, but am surprised that UD did not make much of an effort to promote it. So for me, I'm still hopeful, but it is a wait and see. Big Grin

I would like to know where Logan saw that Weaver is on board? That would be a big deal.

Posts: 10353 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I would like to know where Logan saw that Weaver is on board? That would be a big deal.

From a member on Blowout who was in attendance at the Summit. He said Upper Deck told everyone it took awhile to get her under contract but they did.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
quote:

From a member on Blowout who was in attendance at the Summit. He said Upper Deck told everyone it took awhile to get her under contract but they did.

Oh OK, I don't see where they officially put that out yet, but it would be great news for this product, so they should do it.

Weaver has been signing certain odd items like action figure boxes and toy replicas for some CA company. She signs at shows for a hefty price. There have also been a handful of cut signature cards, but she has never signed a certified autograph card for any Alien set or any other card product that I am aware of.

Posts: 10353 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Great news!! Clap

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.

Posts: 971 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Supposedly this product releases next week on March 30. Nothing like being left in the dark until release day. Twak Big Grin

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
And I have yet to see anything from UD to confirm that Sigourney Weaver autographs are in product. Autograph signers are still to be announced. So either the rumor is not true, or it is true and UD doesn't know how to promote a product. Wink

Picture of monkeyafterdark
posted Hide Post
quote:
So either the rumor is not true, or it is true and UD doesn't know how to promote a product. Wink

Unfortunately, both are plausible... Smile

Posts: 154 | Location: Belgium | Registered: September 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Supposedly this product releases next week on March 30. Nothing like being left in the dark until release day. Twak Big Grin

Unfortunately, this is normal.

Many times the checklist (including autos) is put together by watching eBay the first weekend.

Upper Deck does not promote products, plain and simple. They expect dealers to do that job for them, with as little information as possible.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:

Upper Deck does not promote products, plain and simple. They expect dealers to do that job for them, with as little information as possible.

Ed

Well these cards are due for release today, since I can't find any new info I have no idea if they are coming out. There is no mention on UD's site at all and other forums like Blowout, Card Connect and Beckett are only reprinting the same generic box breakdown that they have had since January. As best as I can tell the boxes seem to be over $100.

This just seems like bad business on UD's part. I was excited about this product, but saying it has 6 autographs, dog tags and random sketches, with an all art base set is not enough for me to pre-order at such a high end price. Makes you wonder what it is they are trying to prove?

posted Hide Post
There was a small delay at the printers. Distributors are receiving it today and the release date is 3/31.

Posts: 26 | Location: San Jose, CA | Registered: July 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nonsports:
There was a small delay at the printers. Distributors are receiving it today and the release date is 3/31.

Thanks for the info. Clap

Posts: 28997 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
Just posted the checklist: http://www.beckett.com/news/20...anthology-checklist/

Autograph lineup is strong IMO with Weaver, Bill Paxton, Paul Reiser, Tom Skerritt, Lance Henriksen, Veronica Cartwright and more.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1176 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
That autograph line is fantastic as far as I'm concerned, which makes it even harder for me to understand UD. If I had known that they would have gotten all those signers I would have ordered something. I did not. Maybe I'll find these cards, maybe I won't, considering their limited distribution system.

All I can say is, if you have a product that looks good, how do you not advertise it? How can you judge pre-sale interest? You have 16 signers, when you said 6 and never named them.

Do you even know how to sell non-sport cards? Not from where I sit.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
That autograph line is fantastic as far as I'm concerned, which makes it even harder for me to understand UD. If I had known that they would have gotten all those signers I would have ordered something. I did not. Maybe I'll find these cards, maybe I won't, considering their limited distribution system.

All I can say is, if you have a product that looks good, how do you not advertise it? How can you judge pre-sale interest? You have 16 signers, when you said 6 and never named them.

Do you even know how to sell non-sport cards? Not from where I sit.

As frustrating as it can be from a collector's perspective, sometimes there are reasons. Licensing can be very touchy and specific. I know sometimes companies are not allowed to show much of anything or even fully market it. For autographs, it could be they needed or wanted to wait until they were in-house.

Who knows, but one would think that if they could do more to sell more product, they -- or most any other company -- would.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1176 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Ryan, do you not think maybe you're being little charitable towards Upper Deck? I only say that because lack of promotional info is their consistent M.O.

I am desperate to know what is in this release. I have never been interested in a modern card set that had so little information available. It is quite frustrating.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
Ryan, do you not think maybe you're being little charitable towards Upper Deck? I only say that because lack of promotional info is their consistent M.O.

I am desperate to know what is in this release. I have never been interested in a modern card set that had so little information available. It is quite frustrating.

Charitable? No. But I have spoken with them in the past about other releases, as well as other manufacturers. Some licenses have extremely strict guidelines on what they're allowed to do.

As I said, not sure if that's the case here. If it isn't and they're losing sales, there's nobody else to blame. What sense does it make not to get word out if it's costing a company?

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Wow, what a great autograph lineup!

Would love to put together the complete set of single actor autos, and maybe one really good sketch. Will have to see what becomes available on the market. Smile

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.

Posts: 971 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
This looks pricey, with only 100 cards in a box you cannot make a base set and only one hit which could be an artist autograph i can see people buying a box and being very dissapointed.

Posts: 28997 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
It is pricey, over $100 per box. All the more reason to promote what is inside because most people are not going to buy high end boxes as an idle purchase, even if they like the title.

You just lose too much money if you pull an $8 autograph or a $10 sketch and you don't even have a base set. There is an idea that hits from higher end boxes automatically carry greater value on the secondary market. That can be true for the bigger stars or bigger name sketch artists, but I have found that a common is a common all over and just because it came from a high end set does not significantly alter it's worth. In other words, you will lose more money pulling common hits from a pricey box.

With UD, they skip boxes, so you are not even guaranteed an autograph, just a hit. If it's not the type of hit you were looking for, sorry.

As a big Alien fan, I can say that the auto line up that was released one day ahead of the cards is very impressive. The question asked was what sense does it make for a company not to get the word out if it is costing sales? I don't know, ask UD. Maybe they think that blind pick $100 boxes sell themselves. Roll Eyes