Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  New Promo Card Releases    New Breygent Applecards promos
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Breygent Applecards promos
 Login/Join

Picture of Doc Floyd
posted Hide Post
I saw in one of the completed auctions for the Transformers promo that it is limited to 500.

If that is indeed the case, and if there are that many printed of the others, enough should trickle out to satisfy the demand. Purely speculation on my part, but we can only hope that is the case.

Posts: 147 | Location: NC | Registered: October 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Floyd:
I saw in one of the completed auctions for the Transformers promo that it is limited to 500.

If that is indeed the case, and if there are that many printed of the others, enough should trickle out to satisfy the demand. Purely speculation on my part, but we can only hope that is the case.

I'm still wondering if that seller is Applecards. It appears so.

If Applecards is still giving them out one for every 3 boxes ordered, that means they're getting 1500 boxes. I don't keep track of boxes/cases produced by anyone. Is that alot? Again, if this isn't Applecards, then he's giving them away with pre-orders or to his buddy(ies). I wonder how many Vampirella there were? I was lucky enough to make a trade for that one. I'll hold out for another trade. Gathering up some good stuff for one.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
It wouldn't be so bad if they were selling the boxes on pre-order and stating a "free" promo card with each order! But at moment they are just selling them and making a decent sum. I too have contacted them to find out how to obtain one (Other than winning the auction)

You're in the UK. Go bang on his door. LOL

I'm avoiding the bidding wars on this one. Although, I'm meeting one or both of these actors this summer, and it would be great to have not only one, but two of these cards. One for my Grimm card collection, and one for my convention autograph collection.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
If the idea of a promo card is to get people talking about it and the product these seem to be doing the job rather well. Wink

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Someone told me that EACH is limited to 500. All five, not just the Transformers.

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
1 promo card free with an order of 3 boxes

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
1 promo card free with an order of 3 boxes

so that means that they are not promo cards, they are incentive cards, the same as the Rittenhouse case cards. Anyone agree with that?

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
It's a promo that gives you an incentive to buy the product

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
In my view, if the back of the card says anything like "Look for Transformers cards, coming May 2013 !" or anything similar to that, it is a promo, whether it is a case card or inserted in a DVD or a toy

Remember a year or two back when they had that Bettie Page sketch card limited to 50 at the Philly show, that said PROMO on it, and there was this debate here on the page about it not being a true promo ? Smile

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Manufacturer
posted Hide Post
they were made as promos

tom

Posts: 3260 | Location: New York | Registered: March 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
In that the Vampirella P4 is now pretty easy to get you-know-where, I'm willing to bet that over the next few weeks, you'll see alot of these new ones pop up for auction.

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Just some musings about the discussion of "what's a promo" ... We've had this debate since the very first use of the term. Except for cards that were sent out free or for a SASE from the manufacturer, they have *always* had a focused and limited distribution. In the 1990s a set often had one promo that was sent out to direct-buy dealers with another order, to raise awareness and to entice them to buy the new product. Then there were magazine promos, available only to subscribers. Then there were show or event promos, often only available to attendees. Then there were fan-club promos.

Some series had a series of show promos that were each exclusive to a different dealer. Some dealers handed them out to increase traffic, others were available only with a purchase, and others may have been offered if you stopped by and said something interesting.

Sure, we can discuss whether some promos are "true" promos because they border on being dealer incentive cards. I don't have a problem with finding novel ways to reward loyal dealers, especially since it tends to keep the prices lower on the other material. There's entire *sets* that are exclusive to specific dealers.

Dealer promos seem to be a natural evolution of the concept of box-toppers and case-toppers, where the volume buyers get a perk that they can sell separately and keep the price of packs and boxes lower.

Many years ago, it cost a lot more money to set up printing plates to print a single card, especially with serial numbering. Technology has made it possible to have a dozen promos for a single set. I like David R's definition, but I'd also include a few other types of items.

It may be tough nowadays to make a distinction among different varieties of "not available in packs for that series" cards. I don't see a huge philosophical difference among a card-collecting magazine promo, a Con promo, or a dealer promo; and they're close cousins of case-toppers, multiple-case-purchase incentives, rewards cards, cards promoting one set in another set's packs or in bonus packs, and special cards found only in packs for only one discount department store or another.

Did I do a good job of mentioning all of the relevant manufacturers and outlets without naming anybody?

It's tough if you've carved out a collecting niche and the boundaries get fuzzy. But I think that most people commenting in this forum are doing so with a sense of humo(u)r.

I think that manufacturers' incentives or exclusives that reward the most active supporters of the hobby, either by dealing or collecting, are mostly a positive thing. If I don't go to SDCC, a Comic-Con exclusive promo is something I'd have to buy from somebody who attended. Logistically it's much the same as buying a dealer exclusive.

So I guess I go back to David's definition for which section I list a card in. Roll Eyes

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
This is what I don't like, and I could be wrong, since I have not heard any direct statement to my question, just implications that the Grimm promo is being sold on ebay by Applecards.

1. Applecards SELLING a promo card stead of giving it away. Or at very least, doing so first, as it appears.

2. Applecards NOT returning emails from potential buyers. Maybe because we're in the USA. Don't know, obviously because they're no response.

3. Ebay buyers getting into bidding wars over the Grimm card. There's 500 of them! Be patient.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
In answer to Jeff's observations...

If you have to buy 3 boxes to obtain the exclusive promo, it doesn't matter if the other material is kept lower (I've never seen any evidence of this in the UK), it's odds on you're not interested in the other material, so you're subsidising other collectors.

If a dealer has an exclusive set, you're more likely to pick up a free promo because the dealer is pushing the product i.e. promoting it.

I've never been a fan of dealer incentives. If a product is good enough, it'll sell.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I think Tattoox is correct about being patient.

At first, the only way to get the Vampirella promo P4 was to buy 3 boxes, which was several hundred $$$. Now there are a bunch of them up for grabs for $10-20 or less.

Hopefully the same will be true for these 5 new promos

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by allender:

Many years ago, it cost a lot more money to set up printing plates to print a single card, especially with serial numbering. Technology has made it possible to have a dozen promos for a single set.

:

Now you see this is something which has probably passed my attention over many years. I've allways thought that nobody would go to the expense of printing just a few cards, even a basic print run would be many many sheets containg loads of cards. If it is now possible and cheap enough for someone to ask the printer to just run off 20 copies of a particular card then I may start to believe that only 20 of those cards exist.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
They replied to my message I sent them through E-bay

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Someone told me that EACH is limited to 500. All five, not just the Transformers.

I just read an auction stating that there are only 99.

Picture of Doc Floyd
posted Hide Post
I saw that too. Only time will tell, but I doubt they are that limited.

Posts: 147 | Location: NC | Registered: October 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cardcollectors uk
posted Hide Post
I think this is a great move by Richard and Ian at Applecards. They've added value to the boxes they are selling by offering something free and exclusive, and should be commended for supporting Breygent and the product.
It's funny how everyone is happy to pay for the Case incentive cards, but when something is offered free for buying a quarter of a case, it gets 2 pages of complaints, because some people expect them for free. I would much rather see this kind of offer than case and multi case incentives. Then you could buy some from each dealer and help to grow the business. If you cant afford the shipping then buddy up with a UK Grimm collector, and TRADE the promos. That's what the hobby is supposed to be about.

Posts: 128 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post