Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  New Promo Card Releases    New Breygent Applecards promos
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
New Breygent Applecards promos
 Login/Join
 
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tattoox:
Rittenhouse does it all the time at SDCC. It's gone on for years.


Tattoox- I didn't know Rittenhouse did this also.
What cards were exclusives and who got them.
I might have more holes in my collection than I thought.
 
Posts: 82 | Location: NJ | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of cardcollectors uk
posted Hide Post
Here's my thoughts.
Incentive cards, case cards and multi-case cards, archive boxes etc. drive prices down (sometimes unsustainably below cost), and make sure that only the person with the most incentives can charge the lowest price leaving everyone else unable to compete.
Exclusive cards, spread between dealers mean people can charge a realistic price, add these free exclusive cards, and offer the collector a good deal.
If Breygent (or anyone else) makes sure no-one abuses this, then it could shake up the hobby, and introduce a newer more vibrant marketplace.
Would the world explode if everyone sold at RRP?? Smile

____________________
What do you call a set missing more than 10 cards?
Singles!
 
Posts: 128 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardcollectors uk:
Here's my thoughts.
Incentive cards, case cards and multi-case cards, archive boxes etc. drive prices down (sometimes unsustainably below cost), and make sure that only the person with the most incentives can charge the lowest price leaving everyone else unable to compete.
Exclusive cards, spread between dealers mean people can charge a realistic price, add these free exclusive cards, and offer the collector a good deal.
If Breygent (or anyone else) makes sure no-one abuses this, then it could shake up the hobby, and introduce a newer more vibrant marketplace.
Would the world explode if everyone sold at RRP?? Smile

My point exactly.
Exclusive cards spread between dealers.
This exclusive card was given to ONE dealer who now controls the market on them.
Making me buy three boxes from him to get one- he has now made me buy three boxes from him and not my regular dealer. He has also given me a, for argument sake, $50 edge over other dealers.
He is also selling them on Ebay. When he gets $50 each for them, he can now sell boxes cheaper because he has already recouped his costs. Other dealers are held holding product they must discount below what they paid in order to compete with this guy and lose money as they didn't get any exclusive cards.
 
Posts: 82 | Location: NJ | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Doc Floyd
posted Hide Post
I was offered all 5 of the exclusive promos for 30 each. Figured I'd just wait.

The prices will come down, or I will just go without them. The Grimm is the only one I really want now anyways.
 
Posts: 147 | Location: NC | Registered: October 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
As was noted above, his Vampirella P4 promo from 2012 (exclusive) can now be obtained for around $10 on the auction sites
 
Posts: 3273 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Manufacturer
posted Hide Post
Applecards has bought a huge amount of my products and asked if I would make him a few promo cards because of the amount of product he has bought and will buy in the future. I have done this in the past for other dealers when I had extra spaces on my printing sheet. I figured why not. It was not meant for them to be going for $50 but that is what is happening at this time. I am sorry if this upsets
Some people. I have made many, many promos that have been given away at shows and done promos in the past for other dealers also and no one has ever complained in the past.A few people asked me to make some rare promos as they thought the collectors would like this idea and now some dont like i made rare promos. Now after all said and done I take what everyone here is saying and I will rethink what I do in the future with promo cards but also remember I did this for a company that asked and also supported our company with some huge orders. It was not done to make people mad.Its a shame some are saying "I won’t collect or buy your product" anymore as to me that is not what I wanted to happen.

Tom
 
Posts: 3033 | Location: New York | Registered: March 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It is a interesting topic. There is the question of incentives used in general and then the exclusive promos mentioned in this thread.

Some of the manufacturers use incentives, others don't, it is probably close to 50/50 between them. If a dealer buys a certain amount of product then I think it is fair to reward the dealer with something extra, better than any kind of reduced pricing. I think the only incentive I would question is the boxes that contain master sets. These can devalue the sets made by opening boxes/cases. It can also become a case of who buys most has more room "to manoeuvre" with case/box prices as has been mentioned because these master set boxes hold so much value.

The problem with these EXCLUSIVE promo cards is that not only are they restricted to one country but one dealer. They now have a monopoly on 5 of Breygent's sets if a collector wants the limited promo. The fact it is a promo is almost irrelevant, it is basically a card from the set that a lot of collectors would like to complete their master sets. It could just as easily be a costume card or a extra chase card etc. The fact it is a promo will of course also appeal to promo collectors though.

I agree completely with what dobo98985 has said.
I am an ebay seller and all one can ask for is a level playing field for selling. These promos give Applecards an advantage over every other seller of these products (the prices the promos have sold for show a good advantage) and discriminates against the smaller seller. Good for them, bad and very unfair for other sellers. The fact that they buy a lot of the product is quite rightly rewarded by incentives and loaded master set boxes - which is fair but unfair if anything exclusive to them is provided.

Sellers/dealers will I assume start to think about buying product if others are given an advantage on a regular basis.

Thanks Tom for coming on the boards to comment. Your products and customer service are great, I would just question this decision to product these exclusive one dealer promos.
 
Posts: 8 | Location: Yorkshire | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Promos exclusive to one dealer is no different than those for specific shows. Unless you go every show (impossible) you are never going to get all the FREE promos and end up having to purchase/trade them somehow. Also Show exclusive promos for particular dealers have done many times, so again you could say this is unfair to smaller dealers who don't do the big shows.

As mentioned previously if a dealer takes a lot of product from a manufacturer then they are going to receive some benefit or other for their support.
 
Posts: 1454 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Over the past few years, Cult Stuff, the UK company, has had exclusive dealer specific promos for its sets. They recently did one for Sci-Fi Cards on their Burlesque card set, and before that, some for dealer Mhopnhop.

However, none of these Cult Stuff promos seem to be going for the crazy prices that the Applecards are. The difference, for some reason, is that the Cult Stuff dealer exclusive promos seem to be relatively easy to obtain from those dealers. Just an observation
 
Posts: 3273 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by treksearcher:
Promos exclusive to one dealer is no different than those for specific shows. Unless you go every show (impossible) you are never going to get all the FREE promos and end up having to purchase/trade them somehow. Also Show exclusive promos for particular dealers have done many times, so again you could say this is unfair to smaller dealers who don't do the big shows.

As mentioned previously if a dealer takes a lot of product from a manufacturer then they are going to receive some benefit or other for their support.

How can you honestly say that Promos exclusive to one dealer is no different than those for specific shows. Many people go to the shows where the promos are given out. Plus, all the dealers at the show are given those promos. Plus, it has been seen at the Philly show where customers can buy multiple admissions to get extra promos. Plus, the promoters of the shows have been known to give extra promos out to those who are extremely nice in their asking for them. All those promos are readily avail from the people who attended, the dealers who attended or the internet (Ebay). Since they went to many individuals, they are avail for a decent amount of money- not too expensive.
This does not compare to a promo given to one person who can pretty much ask what he/she wants for it and if you don't want to pay his price, you are out of luck.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dobo98985,
 
Posts: 82 | Location: NJ | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Over the past few years, Cult Stuff, the UK company, has had exclusive dealer specific promos for its sets. They recently did one for Sci-Fi Cards on their Burlesque card set, and before that, some for dealer Mhopnhop.

However, none of these Cult Stuff promos seem to be going for the crazy prices that the Applecards are. The difference, for some reason, is that the Cult Stuff dealer exclusive promos seem to be relatively easy to obtain from those dealers. Just an observation


I would say the demand for the titles that Breygent gets would be one reason these promos are going for high dollars- more than the cult-stuff, etc exclusive promos go for.
Another reason might be that cult-stuff exclusive promos are given to dealers who are more generous and caring about the hobby than the person Breygent gave their exclusive promos to.
 
Posts: 82 | Location: NJ | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post



Manufacturer
posted Hide Post
Off with his head!!

 
Posts: 3033 | Location: New York | Registered: March 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dobo98985:

I would say the demand for the titles that Breygent gets would be one reason these promos are going for high dollars- more than the cult-stuff, etc exclusive promos go for.



Is the demand for Breygent product higher than Cult-Stuff.? Both companies produce superb quality sets over a diverse range of titles and both companies sell out the amount of product they make. I think the reason for the high prices being paid for these promos lies squarly with the collector.

____________________
Come, it is time for you to keep your appointment with The Wicker Man.
 
Posts: 28773 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dobo98985:
Another reason might be that cult-stuff exclusive promos are given to dealers who are more generous and caring about the hobby than the person Breygent gave their exclusive promos to.


This is 100% wrong, i'm glad you said might be, The people at Applecards have been around for a long time in various guises over many years and have supported the hobby and all of the UK shows at every turn.

____________________
Come, it is time for you to keep your appointment with The Wicker Man.
 
Posts: 28773 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:
Originally posted by dobo98985:

I would say the demand for the titles that Breygent gets would be one reason these promos are going for high dollars- more than the cult-stuff, etc exclusive promos go for.



Is the demand for Breygent product higher than Cult-Stuff.? Both companies produce superb quality sets over a diverse range of titles and both companies sell out the amount of product they make. I think the reason for the high prices being paid for these promos lies squarly with the collector.


I don't think the demand for Breygent is higher than the demand for Cult-stuff. Rather, I think the demand for Grimm is higher than for other titles, that is why that promo is going for much more money than others promos- even the other Breygent promos that Applecards got.
 
Posts: 82 | Location: NJ | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:
Originally posted by dobo98985:
Another reason might be that cult-stuff exclusive promos are given to dealers who are more generous and caring about the hobby than the person Breygent gave their exclusive promos to.


This is 100% wrong, i'm glad you said might be, The people at Applecards have been around for a long time in various guises over many years and have supported the hobby and all of the UK shows at every turn.

You might be correct; however, from what I can see from my experience, the experience of the dealer I buy from as well as the experiences of several other members here- Applecards is not returning e-mails from collectors asking for help in obtaining the promos. They are expecting you to purchase product from them in order to get them or buy them from them on Ebay.
I seem to recall Tom said that they would be willing to help collectors, but I don't seem to see it happening.
 
Posts: 82 | Location: NJ | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dobo98985:
quote:
Originally posted by Tattoox:
Rittenhouse does it all the time at SDCC. It's gone on for years.


Tattoox- I didn't know Rittenhouse did this also.
What cards were exclusives and who got them.
I might have more holes in my collection than I thought.


I think for the past two years Rittenhouse has given out cards to 9 different dealers attending SDCC for their Marvel puzzle promos. Some dealers give them away. Others ask for a purchase. And I think one asks for a minimum purchase. It makes for crazy collecting. For me, I have to ask my buddies that don't collect cards to hunt them out and/or ebay. The more it costs to get the promo, the higher it goes for on ebay.

____________________
 
Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dobo98985:
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Over the past few years, Cult Stuff, the UK company, has had exclusive dealer specific promos for its sets. They recently did one for Sci-Fi Cards on their Burlesque card set, and before that, some for dealer Mhopnhop.

However, none of these Cult Stuff promos seem to be going for the crazy prices that the Applecards are. The difference, for some reason, is that the Cult Stuff dealer exclusive promos seem to be relatively easy to obtain from those dealers. Just an observation


I would say the demand for the titles that Breygent gets would be one reason these promos are going for high dollars- more than the cult-stuff, etc exclusive promos go for.
Another reason might be that cult-stuff exclusive promos are given to dealers who are more generous and caring about the hobby than the person Breygent gave their exclusive promos to.



Are you saying I'm not caring and generous? Tom gave me exclusive convention promos. I worked my *** of handing these out so flippers wouldn't get their hands on them. Posted in several locations here and other forums where to get them, which included some artist tables at the show. I offered them her, if I recall. I've traded some off. I threw some in as extras when trading. Tom told me I could do what I want with them. I could have sold ever last one on ebay, and no one would have been the wiser. Again, it's not Tom's fault. It's equally divided between Applecards and us collectors.

I get the chance to meet the guy that plays Nick in September. If Monroe gets announce for the show, I absolutely will need one before then for signing.

____________________
 
Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dobo98985:
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:
Originally posted by dobo98985:
Another reason might be that cult-stuff exclusive promos are given to dealers who are more generous and caring about the hobby than the person Breygent gave their exclusive promos to.


This is 100% wrong, i'm glad you said might be, The people at Applecards have been around for a long time in various guises over many years and have supported the hobby and all of the UK shows at every turn.

You might be correct; however, from what I can see from my experience, the experience of the dealer I buy from as well as the experiences of several other members here- Applecards is not returning e-mails from collectors asking for help in obtaining the promos. They are expecting you to purchase product from them in order to get them or buy them from them on Ebay.
I seem to recall Tom said that they would be willing to help collectors, but I don't seem to see it happening.


I never got a return email back when Vampirella promo was new, but I did finally get two responses from Applecards for Grimm. The price is the same direct or by ebay. But it's pointless for me as I've described before.

____________________
 
Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dobo98985:
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:
Originally posted by dobo98985:

I would say the demand for the titles that Breygent gets would be one reason these promos are going for high dollars- more than the cult-stuff, etc exclusive promos go for.



Is the demand for Breygent product higher than Cult-Stuff.? Both companies produce superb quality sets over a diverse range of titles and both companies sell out the amount of product they make. I think the reason for the high prices being paid for these promos lies squarly with the collector.


I don't think the demand for Breygent is higher than the demand for Cult-stuff. Rather, I think the demand for Grimm is higher than for other titles, that is why that promo is going for much more money than others promos- even the other Breygent promos that Applecards got.


I agree. That's what my wife said this morning when I was gripping about it. "Grimm is HOT right now." There's just as many if not more Transformers fans out there, but they're not looking for cards. Tom picked up this license at just the right time for card collectors and Grimm fans.

____________________
 
Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  
 

Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  New Promo Card Releases    New Breygent Applecards promos

© Non-Sport Update 2013