Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Booksmith Cards
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Seems like people are starting to discover these.

I see about 10 cards on ebay now. Someone wants $1100 for the Ray Bradbury one.

Posts: 4014 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I've seen those. They've been up for a while. I don't think you can get $35-40 for a card of a rather well-known author like Ray Manzarek - maybe for a signed one. However, they aren't certified autographs so collectors are going to be wary. Someone paid later to have that Bradbury certified but then put a ridiculous price on it. I would say you might be able to find someone who'd pay 50-100 bucks for that.

quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Seems like people are starting to discover these.

I see about 10 cards on ebay now. Someone wants $1100 for the Ray Bradbury one.

Posts: 4411 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Unnumbered card. Barry Gifford.

Here's an unnumbered card that Thomas recently assigned as #29, a number for the purpose of his checklist. It actually fits the timeline and there isn't a card #29 that was printed.

Posts: 4411 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Card 61. Tom Tomorrow (aka Dan Perkins)

By card 61, we see that the typeface has changed in the name on the front from bold to a type with white space within the letters. In fact, you can see it in #45, the Harlan Ellison card.

This is the first of two cards (#268 has already been shown) by the author in the series.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Card 65. Elizabeth Wurtzel.

This is an image I saved from a few years ago when I started picking up some of these cards. I have the card now and will have to scan both sides for Todd.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Card 97. Geoffrey Canada.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Card 98. Thom Jones.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Have you considered getting an account at TCDB.com and uploading these images there?

Posts: 2216 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That sounds like a lot of work. I'm showing them here. That should be good enough if anyone wants to see some of them. Todd is free to add them to his PCE site as well.

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
Have you considered getting an account at TCDB.com and uploading these images there?

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Card 99. Calvin Trillin.

I remember Trillin as a rather regular guest on "The Tonight Show" back when Johnny Carson was hosting. It seemed like he was on maybe 2-3 times per year. Carson liked bringing on various writers (Bombeck, Sagan). Trillin has since been awarded the Thurber Prize for American Humor and has been elected to the American Academy of Arts and Letters.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The Booksmith series reached card #100 with this one featuring author William Wharton:

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Card 102. Cynthia Heimel.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Card 103. Z. Budapest.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Card 126. Jules Feiffer.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Card 127. April Sinclair.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I think that Jules Feiffer is the last living person who wrote for EC Comics.

Posts: 2216 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I've started doing a little research on all the writers featured in the Booksmith series. I've already found a few who are cartoonists or otherwise connected to comics.

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
I think that Jules Feiffer is the last living person who wrote for EC Comics.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Card 128. David Gans.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Unnumbered card. Ursula Hegi.

Here's another unnumbered card that Thomas was able to assign a number after the fact. There was no #153 and this one fits in the timeline. It promotes Ursula Hegi's 1995 novel, "The Salt Dancers."

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Unnumbered card. Tama Janowitz.

Thomas assigned #155 to this one for the purpose of his checklist.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,