Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    PCE 2008, additions, deletions and corrections
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PCE 2008, additions, deletions and corrections
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I've updated my A-E listings to include previously-unlisted cards and additional information I found last year listings though I ran into an apparent character limit for one post and had to move some listings around. I also restored some listings that were lost the last time I updated.

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Regarding the 1993 Aladdin Dannon yogurt set, the card # 5 is The Cave of Wonders

A set of 8 sold the other day you know where for a mere $ 10

quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Nice. Yeah, those became hard-to-find and then impossible - not one of those things that became available years later either.

quote:
Originally posted by Cecil:
ALADDIN 1993 pop up cards inserted into
6 packs of Dannon Sprinklin's yogurt. Created
By The Creation Station. Cards measure approx.
2" x 4". The set was hard to complete as the
product disappeared quickly.

#1- Prince and Princess
#2- Princess Jasmine
#3- Aladdin
#4- Lago
#5- ????
#6- Abu
#7- The Sultan
#8- Jafar

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Cecil
posted Hide Post
Damn, I can't believe I missed it! Twak

Posts: 736 | Location: Carmel, IN. | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I don't think that this in in PCE. Maybe it is

Promoking listed above an American Girls card pack with says "free with purchase of book". I have that pack.

But I also have a second pack, produced by the same folks, of Maya (a Native American girl), which I believe is also part of the American Girls series. This pack also says "free with purchase of book"

Note that the regular card packs from the 1990s don't have the "free with purchase" language on the fronts

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I will include this correction as I update my listing but am mentioning it here separately. A couple of weeks ago, I saw a set of "Cavewoman" promos for sale, listed as a 5 card set in PCE2008, but the lot included 6 cards. I thought there was a previously-unlisted card in the mix so I bought it. Once I had the card, it seemed familiar but couldn't place it until realizing it matched the description of a card listed in another set, "Art of Mike Hoffman" (almost certainly the same card especially since both had blank backs). After doing a couple of searches, I learned that the card listed in "Art of Mike Hoffman" as "woman in 'NY" shirt holding flag" actually features the artwork of Budd Root, the creator/artist of "Cavewoman." The original artwork is significant because it was something he did, dropping his other projects, in reaction to the 9/11 attack in 2001. He later auctioned it off and donated the money to 9/11 victims.

I had wondered about the "Cavewoman" listing before for another reason. Back in 2002, Devon Massey, another artist for "Cavewoman" was giving out two of the cards with his artwork on them along with his own promos at shows. I wasn't sure if Massey's cards and Root's cards were considered part of the same set. However, I've since been told that the 6 cards were considered a set by a dealer of "Cavewoman" art/cards/comics though checking with either of the artists would be the way to be sure.

Jess

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
On the 1993 Toon Into School set, PCE lists 3 different four card sheets, but there is a fourth one

There is one with Sylvester, Taz, Eggbert, and Joey Lawrence, and the back says School Tip # 4

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
On the 1993 Toon Into School set, PCE lists 3 different four card sheets, but there is a fourth one

There is one with Sylvester, Taz, Eggbert, and Joey Lawrence, and the back says School Tip # 4

Thank you David for that info.
I too have been quietly updating my list. I'm now through the middle of the F's! It continues in my original post and ends after DAVID'S first post.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: promoking,

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I just wanted to provide an update on the 1993 Mr.T cards by NOW Comics.

There is at least 1 card not listed in PCE, which I, myself, did not know of until fairly recently. On the card # 1, there is a variant that has the same photo, but the logo is in gold foil (the regular one does not have foil) Also, the back is unnumbered. This came in the Mr. T portfolio released through Dynamic Forces, which also came with 2 comics signed by Mr.T. Numbered to 10,000. You can see a few on ebay

As for cards # 1 to 17, these are the comics that they came in:

Card
1 Newsstand issue 1
2 Gold Foil direct edition 1
3 Newsstand 2
4 Direct issue 2
5 Newsstand 3
6 Direct issue 3
7 Newsstand 4
8 Direct issue 4
9 Newsstand 5
10 Direct issue 5
11 Newsstand Issue 6
12 Direct Issue 6
13 Direct issue 7
14 Newsstand 7
15 Direct issue 8
16 Direct issue 9
17 Direct issue 10

The "direct" versions were the comics that went to comic stores, while the "newsstand" ones are the versions with UPC codes. It looks like comics # 8, 9, and 10 did not have newsstand versions, or at least they did not come with cards.

Also, notice the pattern. The odd numbered cards came in the newsstand comics (and are harder to find) while the even numbered cards came in the comic store versions. This is true for cards # 1 to 12. However, it appears that for cards # 13 and 14, they switched this around.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: David R,

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Jess,
I can confirm that the 1997 Glow in the Dark Dinosaur cards on page 64 and the Kid Cuisine entry on page 79 of PCE are indeed the same set.These cards are very hard to find whatever we want to call them.

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Interesting cards. I have never seen those. There is 1 on ebay now. Smile

quote:
Originally posted by promoking:
Jess,
I can confirm that the 1997 Glow in the Dark Dinosaur cards on page 64 and the Kid Cuisine entry on page 79 of PCE are indeed the same set.These cards are very hard to find whatever we want to call them.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Promoking,

Okay, thanks. I used to buy those dinners to get the Jungle Book cards, the Wildlife cards, and those dinosaur cards. I think a local dealer helped me finish those sets but I bought a lot of that food. It was not good. Even my little brother who ate everything stopped eating it at one point. I used to have extras but think I just have Wildlife singles left.

You can still find the Wildlife, Jungle Book, and Tarzan cards (and even the Furby stickers), but yeah, the dinosaur cards are scarce. I haven't seen a set for sale in at least 15 years.

Jess

quote:
Jess,

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I've started updating my listings for this year. I'm through the C's .

I noticed that character limits have prevented some past additions from saving so I took some time to build a separate listing from my lists over the past few years. I'm going line-by-line comparing my separate listing to what's on Card Talk to make sure everything gets on here.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Promoking,

I talked to an airplane card collector a few months ago. He told me that Air Show Stars was not a promo - something sold at shows. He added it was a 90 card set. Have you heard of singles being given away or maybe there were cards that were marked as promos?

Also, I noticed your listing "Awesome Aircraft." I have the "Awesome Airplanes" set and have looked for "Awesome Aircraft" but haven't seen it. What do those cards look like? The "Awesome Airplanes" set shows various commercial jets.

Jess

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
On the awesome aircraft cards,one of the pictures shows a pilot inside the cockpit and says boeing 747 cockpit.

On the Air Shows, one is a contest card with the front showing 3 supersonic airplanes flying in separate directions. The back mentions a contest to win a trip. I consider this card to be a promo. As far as the others, they are numbered 7-15 and I can't guarantee their status unless I were to compare them to other cards in the set. I got them in a clear cello pack many moons ago.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: promoking,

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That card is from "Awesome Airplanes." I just went through some boxes and found the binder that has that set.

I'll try to get more information on the Air Show Stars set. It wasn't that hard to find those cards for a while but I haven't seen the set for sale recently.

quote:
On the awesome aircraft cards,one of the pictures shows a pilot inside the cockpit and says boeing 747 cockpit.

On the Air Shows, one is a contest card with the front showing 3 supersonic airplanes flying in separate directions. The back mentions a contest to win a trip. I consider this card to be a promo. As far as the others, they are numbered 7-15 and I can't guarantee their status unless I were to compare them to other cards in the set. I got them in a clear cello pack many moons ago.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
On the Inkworks Spiderwick Chronicles, besides the 3 promos and the 5 foil cards, there was another unreleased set of, I believe, 4 or 5 cards that came in a pack, which showed up on ebay after the company folded. These were produced by Inkworks, as well.

I'd have to pull my binder to see exactly what they are, and to get more info. Unless someone else can help me out with this. Smile

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Continuing the W's...

Witchblade (2000) Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. 18 card set - addition for 2019
18 card set...$30 - price update for 2020
n.n. (woman walking from the ocean); given out at the 2000 San Diego Comic Con; 6 x 9; card back gives the date of the television premiere.
**Note: this card was given out at the same event as the regular-sized 18 cards and you could get it signed there by actors from the show

Women of Marvel (2008) Rittenhouse Archives. 5 card set.
P1; general distribution
P2; poly Non-Sport Update (Vol. 19, #2)
P3; binder exclusive
CP1; given out at WonderCon
CP2; given out at the Philly Show

Women of Star Trek, The: Voyager Holofex (2001) Rittenhouse Archives. - 2018 price update
n.n. "Seven of Nine"...$3

World of Barbie (1996) Tempo - 2017 addition to the sample version insert cards
BMCR1 "Redemption Card" - also marked as a "Prize Card"
WB-BC1; binder exclusive; serial-numbered out of 500...$12 Addition for 2019

World of Harry Potter, The: Series 2 (2008) Artbox. 5 card set.
P1
P2
P3
P4; inserted 1 per binder case
P5; inserted 1 per 3 binder cases

World Cup '94 (1993) Upper Deck. Set number n.k.; source n.k.; photos; promotes a set of soccer cards.
WC-P1 "Flemming Povlsen"
WC-P2 "Tony Meola"; poly Collector's Sportlook January 1994 (inserted with a n.n. "Earvin Johnson" exclusive insert)
WC-P3 "Chris Hendersen"
WC-P4 "John Harkes"
WC-P5 "Paul Gascoigne"
WC-P6 "Luis Garcia"

Worlds of Colour (1995) High Heels Productions - source information provided - additional information for 2018
n.n.: inserted with the limited signed and numbered edition of "The Vampir Theatre Collection" card set.

Wrestlemania IV (no year) Titan Sports, Inc. 35 card set; inserted one per package of Hostess snacks (chips) - each in its own cello-pack; 1 1/4 x 1 3/4; photos; says "Hostess" at the top on the back and the text below is in both French and English; Canadian issue...$2 each - New for 2017

WWE Ultimate Rivals (2008) Topps. 1 card set; source n.k.; photo. New for 2017
P1

WWF (1990) Titan Sports, Inc./Hasbro. Set number n.k.; inserted with wrestling action figures; lenticulars; packaging marked "Plus Free Trading Card Inside”…ND - New for 2018
n.n. "Brutus 'The Barber Beefcake"
n.n. "Macho King Randy Savage"
n.n. "Rowdy Roddy Piper"
**Note: the cards below are the same but stamped "Holiday" in red on the back; they were said to have been given out to U.S. troops at a USO show/similar event but this story has been disputed by an experienced wrestling card expert so I would treat the origin of the stamped cards as unknown
n.n. "Brutus 'The Barber Beefcake"
n.n. "Macho King Randy Savage"

X.

Xena, Warrior Princess Season 6 (2001) Rittenhouse Archives - price range update for 2020.
Gummie 2001 - the "Gummie” promo...$25-30

X-Files: I Want to Believe (2008) Inkworks. 4 card set; photos. - New for 2017
XF-1; general distribution
XF-i; available through the mail via the Inkworks website
XF-P; given out at conventions
XF-SDCC; given out at the 2008 San Diego Comic-Con

X-Files Official Fan Club, The (1999) MVP Licensing. 4 card set - price increase update for 2019...$20-30 each.

X-Files Season One (1995) Topps - price update for 2020
0; binder exclusive...$18-20

X-Men Series 1 (1992) Impel. Set number n.k;
**Note: the following were packaged together in a cello-pack; source n.k.; they mirror the cards from the regular set except the illustrated graph on the back is different and the trademark symbol near the lower left corner is black (it's red on the regular card) and with slightly different text.
2 "Wolverine"
14 "Storm"
19 "Cable"
41 "Magneto"
71 "X-Men"
**Note: the cards below were inserted with Toy Biz action figures; they mirror the cards from the regular set except they bear a "Toy Biz" logo on the back.
3 "Havoc"
6 "Nightcrawler"
16 "Feral"
23 "Kylun"
31 "Strong Guy"
32 "Captain Britain"
33 "Forge"
37 "Widget"
36 "Rogue"
39 "Maverick"
41 "Magneto"
43 "Deadpool"...$8 price update for 2020.
48 "Gideon"
49 "Masque"
60 "Omega Red"
62 "Mystque"
63 "Sauron"
68 "Mastermind"
70 "Lady Deathstrike"
72 "X-Men"
82 "Dark Phoenix"
86 "Starjammers"
91 "Nightcrawler"
94 "Gambit"
93 "Storm"
98 "Cable"
99 "Colossus"
**Note: the cards below mirror the cards from the regular set except they bear an imprinted "Nelsonic" logo on the back; source n.k.
10 "Lockheed"
24 "Jean Grey"
27 "Polaris"
28 "Boom Boom"
44 "Proteus"
45 "Mojo I
48 "Gideon"
70 "Lady Dathstrike"
71 "X-Men"

X-Men Series 2 (1993) Skybox. Set number n.k.
**Note: the cards below were inserted with Toy Biz action figures; they mirror the cards from the regular set except they bear an imprinted "Toy Biz" logo on the back.
22 "Polaris"
23 "Professor X"
24 "Psylocke"
25 "Quicksilver"
27 "Rogue"
26 "Rictor"...$5
34 "Warpath"
36 "Wolverine"
49 "Wolverine vs. Omega Red"
52 "Wolverine vs, Sabretooth"

X-Men (1996) Marvel. 4 card set; inserted one per box of Cap'n Crunch cereal; artist n.k.; sticker can be peeled off to reveal a card with the same art; each one in its own cello-pack with a piece of supporting cardboard; back text in French and English with Cap'n Crunch logo at the bottom; Canadian issue...$3-4 each - New for 2018
n.n. "Cyclops"
n.n. "Rogue"
n.n. "Storm"
n.n. "Wolverine"
**Note: the above stickers mirror the art of the 1998 Mexican set listed in PCE2008

X-Men Ultra (1995) Fleer Ultra - source information and price update for 2019
2 card sheet; "52 Wolverine, 101 Bishop"; poly Collectors Sportslook January 1995 issue...$7

X One Force (1993) Mall Comics. 6 card set - price update for 2018…$3 each

X-Ray Dinosaur Cards (1997) IBH Europe. 4 card set; inserted one per package of Shreddies cereal; 1 15/16 x 3 7/8; rounded corners; card fronts show artwork of a fleshed-out dinosaur but when the card is held up to a light, you can see a representation of its skeleton; card backs show the skeleton and provide some information about the animal; British issue.
n.n. "Stegosaurus"
n.n. "Triceratops"
n.n. "Tyrannosaurus rex"
n.n. "Velociraptor"

X2: X-Men United (2003) Twentieth Century Fox. 4 card set; all four cards were inserted per package of Zipzaps "Limited Edition X2 Collector's Pack" remote control cars; holofoil fronts; 2 1/4 x 3 1/8; says "Zipzaps" on the lower right corner of the card front; says "not for sale" on the back.
n.n. "Cyclops"
n.n. "Mystique"
n.n. "Storm"
n.n. "Wolverine"

Y

Yo! MTV Raps (1991) Pro Set - additional information for 2020
**Note: PCE2008 noted that sample cards from the regular set were sent out in cello packs with other cards. I have a 4-card cello pack with just cards from the Yo! MTV Raps set and they appear to be regular cards as well.

Youngblood (1995) Skybox. - additional information for 2019
**Note: the N1 prototype listed in PCE was issued in a 6-card cello pack along with other Skybox promos: a blank-backed release schedule card for various Skybox card series in 1995; Gargoyles S1 prototype; Pocahontas S1 prototype The Simpsons Skycaps n.n. "Lisa Simpson" prototype and Star Trek The Next Generation Season 2 S1 prototype; I don't know where the packs were distributed.

Z.

Zen Intergalactic Ninja (1993) Maxx Cards - source information for 2019
n.n. (dark blue lettering); poly Comic Book Collector #13 (Jan 1994).

Zettai-shonen Project (no year) Toy'sworks. Set number n.k.; source n.k.; foil fromt; promotes an anime project; says "promotion card" on the back; text in Japanese and English…$1 - New for 2017
n.n.

Zombie War (1992) Fantaco/Tundra - addition
n.n. (zombie head with crossed rifles); poly special gold foil version of "Zombie War #1 Earth Must Be Destroyed" comic book.

end

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I've updated my listings through the Q's.

quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
I've updated my listings through the J's.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I finally got around to finishing my update of the listings.

There are cards I've heard of but haven't seen so I look for those and often find unlisted cards while looking for those. Two years ago, I found a bunch of boxing and golf promos while looking at sports cards.

Some quick notes on oddball cards I found:

Last year, I found a few more lenticulars that were packaged with Action die-cast car toys. PCE2008 separately lists a Hulk and Terminator card but they're all by the same company packaged with the cars. They're unusual in that they are not mentioned on the packaging so they just appear to be part of it when you look at an unopened one. I've seen some Looney Tunes ones (something else for Warner Bros. collectors) and a Lion King one. I also have a non-lenticular Sesame Street card that was packaged with another Action car.

I found an oddball Batman Forever motion card that was part of a Colgate promotion. Promoking notes one as well but this one is larger (regular 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 size) than the one he listed. It shows a lot of motion for a promotional card (Batman swooping in).

I saw that Promoking listed a few of the Arby's cards under the title, "Discovery Kids." I haven't listed them as "Discovery Kids" but as the title of the set following how PCE listed one of them (Prehistoric Beasts). Two years ago, I listed 3 of the 4 cards from the "Space" set already. Po-tay-to. Po-tah-to.

I found a Hulk card that must have been a Bimbo product insert like the Hercules set they had in the 90's.

I picked up a bunch of those Tenchi Muyo, Tenchi Universe, and Wanderers El Hazard cards last year. They were one-per-VHS (or one-per-laserdisc) when they were new. They are foil on both sides (could not have been cheap to make relative to other promos) and each set forms a complete image when the cards backs are put together. Cool-looking cards.

I think I have all the Trigun chromium cards now - most oversized inserts from VHS tapes.

Maybe my favorite card found last year is an oddball "Timeout to Party" card that actually promotes a party taking place during the 1992 San Francisco Collectors' Expo, a big sports card show out here. For me it's a keeper because it's a local card and it has a Pro Set logo on the back making it a promo some Pro Set collectors might not know about.

All in all, I ended up finding more unlisted cards than I did in 2017.

Jess

P.S. I also checked what Buffy the Vampire Slayer promos were going for last year and included those price ranges with my listing. I didn't see the B5-2 embossed promo for sale so I don't know what that goes for. I did notice a small lot of sealed NSU issues, one containing that card, was for sale. I don't know if it sold or not - no longer listed.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It appears that the 2007 Spiderwick Chronicles SC-1 promo by Inkworks comes in 2 versions

One has the Paramount Pictures logo on the back in blue, one in white. Noticeably different