Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many exist?
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Completing the Stuart Little (Columbia, Tri-Star, 2000) listing in PCE2008, here is card 1 of 4 which was an unknown at the time. These cards aren't often for sale and tend not to be a priority for most collectors so they tend to get overlooked when they are available. Of course, some sellers mistake rarity for treasure and try to get more than $10 per card but they are more like $5 cards.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
PCE2008 lists "The Simpsons" 3D cards from CC's snacks as a 30-card set but there are also #31 and 32 cards advertised as rare as noted by Cecil elsewhere on Card Talk. The fronts of cards 1-12 form a complete image when correctly placed together and so do cards 22-30. PCE2008 notes that cards #13-21 are unknown though they exist and presumably form a third image. In my experience cards 1-12 and 22-30 have been easier to find and I still haven't acquired the run of 13-21 nor the two rare cards. However, here are cards #19 and 20:

Here's two of the images as uncut sheets, a seldom seen thing. These were cut into 9 cards.

When I got them, I had a shot at the third image, the 12 card undersea scene, but someone wanted it a little more.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just stumbled onto a website that shows all the Simpsons CC's cards.

https://spakatak.com/tazos/aus...ccs-lenticular-cards

Here's the backs of the above, should anyone want to tackle the rebus puzzles. Those who remember solving the underside of Lucky Lager beer bottlecaps in the 70's & 80's have a distinct advantage in sorting them out.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Wow, I hadn't seen any uncut sheets of those before today. Thanks for showing those. Todd will get a kick out of seeing those too. It surprises me sometimes when I see uncut sheets of things like that, though at a lot of card companies, there always seems to be at least one person who hangs onto oddball stuff that would have been thrown away by most. In the late 90's, I bought an uncut sheet of those Batman holograms from Six Flags and thought it was a huge find until hearing that others had one too.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Collectors of the TSR (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons) 2 set (1991) know that the first set contains cards 1-377, the first 17 of which are promotional, and the second set continues the numbering from 378 to 737. PCE2008 notes that cards 738-742 and 744-746 are promos.

Here's card #743 which does look like a regular base card as it has no markings that it's a promo but it is actually a promo. The other cards from 738 to 746 were available various ways (magazine inserts, bookstore giveaways, etc.) but no one seems to know where 743 came from. I assume it was a magazine insert.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
As I recall, it came directly from TSR in a cello pack (of a single card).

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill. That plugs a hole in the coverage. Todd's going to like reading that.

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Don't take that as gospel -- it's a 30 year old memory on a subject I haven't thought about in 29 years.

I'll try and look for details over the weekend.

If someone has the issue of NSU in which I wrote about promo cards, somewhere back in 1991 or 1992, it may have details on this set. (When the magazine was still owned by the Tosers, there was an index hosted on the NSU web site that would tell which issue it was. I wish that index was still available.)

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It's at least a lead to ask other collectors about. It might jog a memory to confirm what you said. With promos we often have nothing at Square 1 of the search for a source.

quote:
Don't take that as gospel -- it's a 30 year old memory on a subject I haven't thought about in 29 years.

I'll try and look for details over the weekend.

If someone has the issue of NSU in which I wrote about promo cards, somewhere back in 1991 or 1992, it may have details on this set. (When the magazine was still owned by the Tosers, there was an index hosted on the NSU web site that would tell which issue it was. I wish that index was still available.)

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I found the issue of NSU I was talking about -- Oct 1991. The TSR set had been issued at that point -- it appears in a list of current sets -- but I didn't include it in the article, so there's no details about the distribution. (I probably hadn't obtained them by the deadline for the article.)

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for checking. I have some 90's back issues but only as far back as around '95 when I discovered NSU (I think the first issue I bought had "Native Americans" on the cover).

quote:
I found the issue of NSU I was talking about -- Oct 1991. The TSR set had been issued at that point -- it appears in a list of current sets -- but I didn't include it in the article, so there's no details about the distribution. (I probably hadn't obtained them by the deadline for the article.)

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
PCE2008 lists a "World Cup Toons" (Upper Deck, 1994) 31-card set promoting a regular set of the same name featuring Looney Tunes playing soccer. There's a fairly common "WCT1' promo and also a lesser-seen 30-card group numbered "1 of 30," "2 of 30," "3 of 30," etc. They're listed as "source n.k." (source not known) but one collector says they were packaged with Tyco action figures. I've seen 5 of 30 (Australia), 27 of 30 (Brazil), and 28 of 30 (Brazil). Here's card "24 of 30" showing Looney Tunes characters, Speedy Gonzalez and Sylvester:

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here is a binder of old promos I haven't cracked in 20 years. The TSR promos are in there.

(there's also a couple of pages of R-rated stuff, so be advised.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLYnEhndTwY

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:

Okay, I dug out the TSR promos and I was mistaken.

My copies of #743 are white background and in panels (either 2-up or 4-up), as would have been bound into publications like Previews.

I don't know where the black background version came from.

The card that I was remembering as having been distributed in Cello was #742 Maligor, which is a variant of the #742 in the white background panels.

The card is a black background with the front printed in a metallic process. It came affixed to a 5x7 piece of white board stock, by something like post-it glue.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
And for completeness sake, here is the panel for #738-741.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
How do we know that the 743 is not just a common card from the set ?

According to Jeff Allender's site, cards 738 to 750 were not in the packs, but DID come in the factory set.

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The first set contains cards 1-377, the first 17 of which are promotional. The second set continues the numbering from 378 to 737. The cards after that are considered promotional. Sometimes, the factory set contains bonus cards and maybe that was the source of at least some of the singles like #743 that have been on the market. I haven't been able to find a mention of 743 being given out as a single.

quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
How do we know that the 743 is not just a common card from the set ?

According to Jeff Allender's site, cards 738 to 750 were not in the packs, but DID come in the factory set.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It took me a couple of days to confirm that I had a gmail account and then use it to sign in and see that video. That's a great binder of 1991-1992 promos. I assume that Civil War set is the Bon Air one - pretty much impossible to find now. What is that "Nightmare" 3-card set? I've never seen that before.

Do you have both variants of the #85 promo from Iditarod? I haven't seen the one with the address on the back.

Where are those Air Force cards (20th page) from?

Regarding the Coin Cards envelopes, are those three different promo sets? I remember the set stamped "Promo" and the unnumbered test set. Is the other one a set of the promo "business cards?"

It might be fun to start a thread showing "early" promo cards, maybe doing them by year and starting with 1990 or just one thread and include some of the oddball stuff including stickers from the 80's.

Jess

quote:
Here is a binder of old promos I haven't cracked in 20 years. The TSR promos are in there.

(there's also a couple of pages of R-rated stuff, so be advised.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLYnEhndTwY

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
I assume that Civil War set is the Bon Air one - pretty much impossible to find now.

Yes

quote:
What is that "Nightmare" 3-card set? I've never seen that before.

quote:

Do you have both variants of the #85 promo from Iditarod? I haven't seen the one with the address on the back.

quote:
Where are those Air Force cards (20th page) from?

quote:
Regarding the Coin Cards envelopes, are those three different promo sets? I remember the set stamped "Promo" and the unnumbered test set. Is the other one a set of the promo "business cards?"

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
On the Nightmare set, Jeff Allender's checklist says that the 2 Bonus cards were autographs through a sendaway offer

Also, while there are several sets are ebay now which say that they consist of 25 cards, Jeff's checklist says the sets have a title card, cards 1 to 25, and an offer card.

So it appears that the sets you get may have 27 cards and then the 2 Bonus Cards were separate.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post