Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Entertainment Discussion    Surprise Appearance at a Comic Con
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Surprise Appearance at a Comic Con
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
Is this a joke ?

https://www.hollywoodreporter....pearance-1235806007/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tommy C,

Posts: 4016 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Seems real enough. Spacey is making a comeback. He is starring as a hitman in a new movie coming out and his settlement payment to "House of Cards" producers went from 32M to only 1M. He has been acquitted in all his court cases. It would appear that he has done a lot less than some and it cost him a few years and a bit of his reputation in any event. Time to rise from the ashes, maybe.

He was in "Superman Returns" and "The Usual Suspects" among other cult favorites. Regarded as an A-Lister at one time. I'm sure somebody still wants his autograph.

Posts: 10426 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Recently saw a signing announced as well.

https://everestautographs.com/...acey-autograph-2024/

Posts: 4871 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Whether or not he was acquitted, I personally would feel uncomfortable being around a person who has been accused by many people, in several countries, of sexual assault. I, myself, would not seek out his autograph. Maybe others are OK with it. Not me.

Posts: 4016 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't walk across a room to see him. Would definitely not want his auto.

Posts: 2914 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Not really sure how I feel about it, his legal issues have certainly been on a path lacking evidence and trials landing in his favor. Rapp was court ordered to pay for Kevin's legal fees. Meanwhile he had to pay House of Cards production $31M along with his creepy videos and apparent diversion tactics.

I'm not ready to chase anything from him but there is a fine line between famous and notorious and autograph collectors get both.

Posts: 4871 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
That 31M has dropped to 1M over a payment schedule because the producers of "House of Cards" got the money from insurance. I can't tell how much that website is asking for a Spacey autograph, and I wouldn't be interested in a signed item anyway.

I wasn't really following it, but I would have expected his very SP "Superman Returns" card to have dropped in price. I see one on eBay at $6,500 with a best offer option, so I have no idea. It wasn't anywhere near that the last I remember, and I wasn't getting it then.

He had a messy personal life and isn't a role model, but he was acquitted of all charges. It's up to the buyers to determine the demand and value for his signature now.

Posts: 10426 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I guess when you are rich and famous, you can buy redemption. Has Stephen Collins ever shown up at the auto shows after his issues with teenage girls ?

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
No, and I don't expect he ever will. He admitted to certain things that will not be forgiven.

I think right now the current posterchild for bizarre behavior would be Ezra Miller. We haven't heard from them since "The Flash" in 2022 and they were in hiding for most of that ill-fated premiere. Are we likely to hear from Miller again? What are the DC autograph cards doing? Call me when they hit $20. Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I can't tell how much that website is asking for a Spacey autograph,

Basic 8x10 $165 which for his catalog of performances would be low. Send in items $160 - $350.

Of course it gets crazy after that..$100 extra for personalization...$125 character name and quotes start at $225 up to $2500.

Interesting thing I have been noticing is these companies are charging more for trading cards all of a sudden at $225. Tier pricing is picking up quite a bit at conventions as well.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A Spacey common card from the Superman Returns set, supposedly signed by him, sold on ebay for $ 14.50

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
A Spacey common card from the Superman Returns set, supposedly signed by him, sold on ebay for $ 14.50

I wouldn't trust it...looks like the big 3 authenticators are hanging closer to $50. Not much for decent presentation factor. Will be interesting to see what comes out of this current signing as far as quality is concerned.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
When it comes to autographs obtained in person or through the mail, there is a simple bit of logic that will usually hold you well. Can the seller replace that signed item with the same autograph on a similar signed item for the price at which they are offering it?

If the answer is yes, it at least makes sense.

If the answer is no, either because the signer is so rare that the access isn't there or because the autograph cannot be purchased at that price, then it does not make sense.

Don't get me wrong, a price that looks in line with a replacement cost does not guarantee authenticity by itself. However a Buffy card signed by SMG for $7 does guarantee something else. Wink

Do not ignore the red flags in favor of wishful thinking.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Has Stephen Collins ever shown up at the auto shows after his issues with teenage girls ?

The one that comes to mind for me is Jeffrey Jones (the actor, not the trans artist). I used to really like his work, before it came out that he was a perv. He's got a signed card in Sleepy Hollow.

Posts: 2216 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
O. J. Simpson

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:

The one that comes to mind for me is Jeffrey Jones (the actor, not the trans artist). I used to really like his work, before it came out that he was a perv. He's got a signed card in Sleepy Hollow.

Which is the conflict for collectors. I don't dislike his professional work because of his criminal actions. I don't see me getting rid of an autograph in such a case. Looks like his card can still be picked up for cheap.

In many respects it all adds to the history of a collection. I have Jones but also Johnny Lewis, Charles Dutton, Vince Neil, Mike Tyson, Bobby Brown, Robert Sorrells, OJ Simpson who has been actively signing with Leaf over the past couple years. I see people looking for Allison Mack on a regular basis. DMX was incarcerated roughly 30 times.

Even found a statement that tells Tommy Chong and Jordan Belfort were in prison together and it was Tommy's influence for Jordan to write a book.....which obviously became the Wolf of Wallstreet.

Also weird to see who can make comebacks from kid crimes, Jones, Jarred and Collins appear eternally condemned while Roman Polanski can still get a defense from many of the elite. For some strange reason I see Spacey making a comeback as well.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
It's not a yes or no answer and it is where individual opinions do matter. Basically, it depends on what they did and where you draw your lines. All bad behavior and outright crimes are not equivalent. People can make mistakes and make amends. That's how AA got started. Wink

But I do personally believe that there are some lines that, once crossed, you can't come back. Just my opinion, I am not righteous enough to be all forgiving. Some people are.

But as regards celebrities and their personal lives, the current social discussion is about the art vs. the artist. Can you love the art while still despising the artist? Historical, can you celebrate the good accomplishments of a person after you discover they were a miserable human being by modern standards?

It is an interesting subject that does have meaning to anybody who collects memorabilia, but I think collectors have to chart their own course on it and it comes down to not using a broad brush, but a scalpel.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's time for a new category of cards --

People who have killed people and who have signed cards:

Matthew Broderick
Charles Dutton
Bruce Jenner
Johnny Lewis
Michael Massee
Vince Neil
O.J. Simpson
Danny Trejo

J. R. Smith (bk)
Jayson Williams (bk)
Rae Carruth (fb)
Dwayne Goodrich (fb)
Aaron Hernandez (fb)
Henry Ruggs (fb)
Donte Stallworth (fb)
Craig McTavish (hockey)
Tony Stewart (racing)
Venus Williams (tennis)
Chris Benoit (wrestling)
Scott Hall (wrestling)
Tammy Sytch (wrestling)

Posts: 2216 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There is that one particular episode of The Muppet Show from 1981 that Disney refuses to air or make available because the guest star was that British comedian accused of pedophilia in the 2000s

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
Maybe it's time for a new category of cards --

People who have killed people and who have signed cards

Yeah, but some of those people are still held in high regard. So, depending on the circumstances and having a good PR team, killing someone may not be a deal breaker.

Now if you grab something you shouldn't, that could end it all. The sliding scale of justice is fickle. Big Grin