Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    The $2 million dollar card
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The $2 million dollar card
 Login/Join

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted
A lord of the rings ccg card just sold for $2 million dollars. Eek

My precious. Thumb Up

Posts: 29001 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4007 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know if the equivalent 'One Ring' card from the old Cryptozoic Lord of the Rings sets ever turned up ?

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
That is a brand new 2023 card that must have cost about a dime to make. Now honestly, why do we validate this farce? Why does the obvious manipulation not offend the collectors of whatever the product? The only positive to it is the price of MTG Lord of the Rings boxes and blasters should tank now that the big prize is gone.

Posts: 10399 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Haha, yeah, hard to imagine this card accruing in value from that starting point. Hold on, I'm getting one of my psychic visions of the future. It's cloudy, difficult to see, but the refrain that is repeated is clear as a bell:

"One regret to rule them all."

Posts: 3326 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My question is, Does this mean that two farm boys are going to try to steal it and figure out what volcano to toss it into?

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
That is a brand new 2023 card that must have cost about a dime to make. Now honestly, why do we validate this farce? Why does the obvious manipulation not offend the collectors of whatever the product? The only positive to it is the price of MTG Lord of the Rings boxes and blasters should tank now that the big prize is gone.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4391 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I think Dave and Adam's Card World is fronting for some big money collector who absolutely has to have that card. It will look nice in the display case between the rarest Beanie Baby and the potato chip that looks like Nixon.

quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Haha, yeah, hard to imagine this card accruing in value from that starting point. Hold on, I'm getting one of my psychic visions of the future. It's cloudy, difficult to see, but the refrain that is repeated is clear as a bell:

"One regret to rule them all."

Posts: 4391 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
I think Dave and Adam's Card World is fronting for some big money collector who absolutely has to have that card.

This also has always been my assumption for anything they have a bounty on. It would be interesting to know if it was true.

Posts: 5417 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It doesn't make sense for a dealer (not even one of the National regulars with a selection of Honus Wagners and Mickey Mantles) to put up that amount of cash for his own collection nor even if the storeowners want to enjoy the bragging rights of owning the most expensive card ever and display it.

I think a real MTG collector with money to burn would rather get a selection of the early cards. I remember when that was new and worked with a couple of guys who were playing the game then.

Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
I asked George a number of years ago if the Cryptozoic one ring card had been pulled and he said he no knowledge of it being pulled. It may still be sitting in an unopened box.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
It doesn't make sense for a dealer (not even one of the National regulars with a selection of Honus Wagners and Mickey Mantles) to put up that amount of cash for his own collection nor even if the storeowners want to enjoy the bragging rights of owning the most expensive card ever and display it.

I think a real MTG collector with money to burn would rather get a selection of the early cards. I remember when that was new and worked with a couple of guys who were playing the game then.

I know a fellow who regularly played it when it was new, and then made tens of thousands of dollars selling off his collection way back in the late 90's. Those cards have appreciated in value even further since.

Posts: 3326 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I don't know what my friends did with their cards. One of them might still have some of them.

I saw an episode of "Antiques Roadshow" in which someone brought in a binder of early cards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4es-meXHk_U

quote:
quote:

I know a fellow who regularly played it when it was new, and then made tens of thousands of dollars selling off his collection way back in the late 90's. Those cards have appreciated in value even further since.

Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
quote:
I think Dave and Adam's Card World is fronting for some big money collector who absolutely has to have that card.

This also has always been my assumption for anything they have a bounty on. It would be interesting to know if it was true.

One other option... The bounty allows them to mark up their products due to demand and looking for the bounty card.

I know the MTG collectors packs were HOT before the card was pulled. They fell hard when the carrot and stick was no longer in play

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5080 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The popular singer, Post Malone, was the purchaser of the card, so 2 million isn't really that big of a deal to him. Further, as one may infer from the various amateurishly applied permanent tattoos on his face, his decision making process is likely quite different from yours or mine.

https://www.techradar.com/gami...c-the-gathering-card

Post actually had Topps make some limited edition cards to be sold at his "Posty Fest" some years ago, so his love of cards isn't limited to Magic:The Gathering.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I like the way that article says, "one of the game's rarest finds, particularity as it was discovered in perfect mint condition, too".

True, but not entirely true.

It is a 1/1 and its rarity is due to Wizards of the Coast/Hasbro copying an idea previously executed by Cryptozoic. Although no one seems to know what happened to that one-ring card.

And PSA graded this Magic card a 9, which goes down as mint, but is hardly perfect. There are two higher grades of 9.5 and 10. That a card straight out of the pack gets a 9 means deductions were made for something, usually deficiencies from the maker's printing or in packing, because no one else has handled it.

Perfect it is not, but as there is only one, it could be a 5 and there still wouldn't be any better. Big Grin

I wonder if Post Malone knows how to play the game? He sure doesn't know how or care to know how to spend his money. Razz

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10399 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Wait, I don't get it. Why did Trafton hire a lawyer and a public relations firm? Did the card store get cut out of the deal or did Malone slip the guys a finder's fee without saying anything public.

Yeah, I saw Malone do a drinking game segment on Late Night with Seth Meyer. He hit it hard like he's used to doing it. I hope he doesn't leave the card in the back of the sound guys' van becoming a roadie's new bookmark.

quote:
The popular singer, Post Malone, was the purchaser of the card, so 2 million isn't really that big of a deal to him. Further, as one may infer from the various amateurishly applied permanent tattoos on his face, his decision making process is likely quite different from yours or mine.

https://www.techradar.com/gami...c-the-gathering-card

Post actually had Topps make some limited edition cards to be sold at his "Posty Fest" some years ago, so his love of cards isn't limited to Magic:The Gathering.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Oh great! No one is ever going to play the game with him NOW!!!!

I have a new game, it's called "My One of One is better than yours...and yours...and yours...and so on and so on......"

Posts: 4854 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post