Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Inconclusive authentication letters for $1200
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inconclusive authentication letters for $1200
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted
Oh man I bet this was a fun night!

https://www.cllct.com/sports-c...__EokCnJoRyAxFHUV683

Posts: 4871 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Don't buy the whole thing. Brady knows what his autograph is worth and if he shows up for any event that includes a contracted number of signings, he and/or his agent has agreed upon his compensation. He has the right to reject any item, especially if preapproval was required or if it happens to be offensive in some way, but he has no right to purposely sign poorly when he is being paid for the job.

The reason why some presumed "elite" signers don't want to autograph certain rarer items is because they feel it makes the item too valuable all for the owner's benefit, while they themselves aren't getting enough of a cut for having created it. The notion that there is any difference between conference VIPs and big sports collectors is beside the point. Laying down outlier signatures that subsequently are deemed "inconclusive" in certification is worse than just refusing to sign.

Brady is no different in retirement than he was on the field. Wink

Posts: 10426 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
It's gaining steam.

https://nypost.com/2024/04/23/...hed-autograph-event/

As much fun as it is to see some high roller collector trying to super jack up the value of their items get screwed, I do think Brady should have signed everything appropriately. Afterward he could have set all involved with the promotion straight.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mykdude,

Posts: 4871 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Ouch -- he should have just not signed those autographs are bad.

It also seems crazy to me that these super high dollar items were just sent in. . .

Posts: 5422 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jessica
posted Hide Post
Class action lawsuit for defacing expensive items in 3... 2... 1...

Posts: 1954 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA | Registered: May 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
Eek Those signatures are bad. They look the sort of squiggle you'd get if you had something signed as a celebrity was whisked by you through an airport.
Yeah, as much as I like to see foolish high-end collectors get a bit of a slap, that was just really unprofessional on Brady's part. Either sign the stuff properly, or decline altogether. Not sign badly then come up with some guff about the contract...that doesn't add up to why he looked like he didn't know how to hold a pen.

I read that some are trying to get their items 'cleaned' of the signature. I can't imagine how that can be done on some of those items.

Posts: 429 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog Witch:
Eek Those signatures are bad. They look the sort of squiggle you'd get if you had something signed as a celebrity was whisked by you through an airport.
Yeah, as much as I like to see foolish high-end collectors get a bit of a slap, that was just really unprofessional on Brady's part. Either sign the stuff properly, or decline altogether. Not sign badly then come up with some guff about the contract...that doesn't add up to why he looked like he didn't know how to hold a pen.

I read that some are trying to get their items 'cleaned' of the signature. I can't imagine how that can be done on some of those items.

Totally agree

Posts: 12160 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
Ouch -- he should have just not signed those autographs are bad.

It also seems crazy to me that these super high dollar items were just sent in. . .

They were brought in by those who purchased a VIP but then taken to a different room to be signed.

I thought I read somewhere that there were ony 100 VIPs sold which really isn't a lot for a seasoned signer.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
I thought I read somewhere that there were only 100 VIPs sold which really isn't a lot for a seasoned signer.

Brady and his PR team are very savvy when it comes to merchandise and autographs. He isn't a seasoned signer. He is an exclusive signer, and you get that way by limiting the times you sign, the items you sign, and how much you charge for the privilege.

The VIPs and top sports collectors play along, but they don't want just some signed 8x10 or football card autographed. They want something rare signed so that they can sell it for big bucks or have bragging rights.

Frankly they all deserve each other. Brady is and always will be a wise guy. He is also the all-time greatest quarterback to ever play pro football in my opinion, so give the devil his due. Big Grin

Posts: 10426 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

Brady and his PR team are very savvy when it comes to merchandise and autographs. He isn't a seasoned signer. He is an exclusive signer, and you get that way by limiting the times you sign

Are you seriously trying to imply that he has not signed enough items to be considered a seasoned signer? Especially the amount of items that would be equal to a single card set release.

You search Tom Brady auto on ebay and it pulls up over 3700 hits. William Shatner? 326.

I agree they all deserve each other but if the collectors were given the impression that they claim then it was up to Brady to take care of them and then set all of the PR people straight for any future events. If the stated account is true, the immaturity of Brady to do this is really kinda sad.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mykdude,

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Brady has been an elite signer since early in his long career. If being a long time star player and in high demand is the definition of seasoned to you, I concede. However, be careful about those 3700 hits. Are they certified autographs or just autographs? I have no proof of course, but it's a pretty safe bet that 3700 genuine Brady signatures are not hanging out in the wild.

In his heyday the market was flooded with Michael Jordan autographs, but Jordan signed exclusively for Upper Deck Authenticated and he gave nothing away for free. 99% of all those autographs were fakes and they are still kicking around.

Brady's not giving it away for free either. The case in point pretty much shows his attitude and that's with the high rollers too. Think he's more accommodating to the little people? Wink

posted Hide Post
What are you going on about Raven?? Eek LOL Big Grin
Seasoned in this case is pretty obvious to mean someone whom has signed a lot of things in the course of their career, be that trading cards, helmets, footballs etc. He's done private signings before in his career and charity stuff. ebay is perhaps not the best place to gauge those range of items, but it shows a cross section of the subject matter. The point is, he knows the routine and apparently used to know how to sign his name...before this. Big Grin

Like a lot of these top celebrities, I highly doubt Brady gives a fig about the things he signs(beyond making sure he stays exclusively relevant), nor the people they belong to(and certainly not what class of collector they are), as long as he's paid his fee, but being a professional means acting like one in all your business dealings, and in this case both him and his management have failed badly. It's not a good look no matter how many Super Bowls he's won. Wink

Posts: 429 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wink

Just spreading joy and good will. Wavey Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Brady probably should've flat out refused to sign anything except the preapproved photos and copies of his book. But the real bad guy here is the dude who horned in on the convention and made promises to big collectors he had no business making and couldn't keep.

Posts: 65 | Location: The World | Registered: August 03, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jessica
posted Hide Post
Seems to me that there are a couple of different things going on here.

1 - Brady and the organizer. Brady is saying that he was contracted for a certain thing and was presented to do something else.

2 - Brady/Organizer and the 3rd party vendor - vendor who "sold" the signatures with VIP tickets ("" because he says he took no money but sent everyone to pay through the official event site per the article). Brady is implying that vendor had no right to sell anything, vendor says he had an agreement with the organizer.

3 - Brady and the fans (fans meaning either true fans or resellers, doesn't matter what they are, they were all there for the same thing - an autograph). Brady defaced items brought in by people, knowing that they would not pass authentication with how he signed, costing the people a lot of money in some cases.

1 & 2 have no relation to the quality of his signature as Brady's PR people are saying. I hardly think that the quality of his signature would be so bad. From what I gather, the first signature was almost as bad as the last one he did and all looked nothing like his regular signature. In my opinion, this was only done if he purposely did it that way or he had a broken hand. Or, someone else was "helping" him sign... (I'll just leave that last one there)

If he were a true professional, he would have either:

a) signed everything properly and taken it up with the event organizer regarding the contract provisions after the event,

b) properly sign the specific set amount of items that were listed in his contract and then stop, or

c) not sign anything at all and refer everyone to the organizer (rather than defacing people's very expensive items.)

He knows that by signing how he did it won't pass authentication. He's no spring chicken to this industry. He knows how it works, saying he doesn't because he "doesn't sign that much" just doesn't work for me. If he's a football player, he knows how the industry works. No excuse. It was done on purpose. For what reason, I don't know and I don't care. Looks bad either way.

I find it really disgusting that he would go forward and sign like that, knowing how it would turn out. No excuses.

Also, regarding the VIPs being fans or resellers, doesn't matter, they all paid the same fee. I don't like the sports collecting community but that doesn't matter in this case. If Lucy Lawless (Xena) did this to one of my items, I would be royally pissed and no longer a fan.

This is just crapping on your fans, biting the hand that feeds you...

(Edited to add: I speak a lot about authentication here, I personally dislike authentication on my personal collection items, but we all know how the sports world is about authentication which is why I reference it so much. Authentication is God to them.)

Posts: 1954 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA | Registered: May 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Wink

Just spreading joy and good will. Wavey Big Grin

Big Grin Me too. Just having some fun. Wavey Sadly the emojis are rather limited on here to show the full intentions. Sometimes it's hard to convey "I'm kidding around." Cool

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jessica:
Seems to me that there are a couple of different things going on here.

1 - Brady and the organizer. Brady is saying that he was contracted for a certain thing and was presented to do something else.

2 - Brady/Organizer and the 3rd party vendor - vendor who "sold" the signatures with VIP tickets ("" because he says he took no money but sent everyone to pay through the official event site per the article). Brady is implying that vendor had no right to sell anything, vendor says he had an agreement with the organizer.

3 - Brady and the fans (fans meaning either true fans or resellers, doesn't matter what they are, they were all there for the same thing - an autograph). Brady defaced items brought in by people, knowing that they would not pass authentication with how he signed, costing the people a lot of money in some cases.

1 & 2 have no relation to the quality of his signature as Brady's PR people are saying. I hardly think that the quality of his signature would be so bad. From what I gather, the first signature was almost as bad as the last one he did and all looked nothing like his regular signature. In my opinion, this was only done if he purposely did it that way or he had a broken hand. Or, someone else was "helping" him sign... (I'll just leave that last one there)

If he were a true professional, he would have either:

a) signed everything properly and taken it up with the event organizer regarding the contract provisions after the event,

b) properly sign the specific set amount of items that were listed in his contract and then stop, or

c) not sign anything at all and refer everyone to the organizer (rather than defacing people's very expensive items.)

He knows that by signing how he did it won't pass authentication. He's no spring chicken to this industry. He knows how it works, saying he doesn't because he "doesn't sign that much" just doesn't work for me. If he's a football player, he knows how the industry works. No excuse. It was done on purpose. For what reason, I don't know and I don't care. Looks bad either way.

I find it really disgusting that he would go forward and sign like that, knowing how it would turn out. No excuses.

Also, regarding the VIPs being fans or resellers, doesn't matter, they all paid the same fee. I don't like the sports collecting community but that doesn't matter in this case. If Lucy Lawless (Xena) did this to one of my items, I would be royally pissed and no longer a fan.

This is just crapping on your fans, biting the hand that feeds you...

(Edited to add: I speak a lot about authentication here, I personally dislike authentication on my personal collection items, but we all know how the sports world is about authentication which is why I reference it so much. Authentication is God to them.)

I totally agree with all your points.
I know some 'meet & greets' with music stars and TV stars etc at the more exclusive events(not necessary expensive events, but to small groups of fans) that there is usually a list of what you can and can't have signed which was obviously approved by the celebrity and/or their management well in advance. Sometimes that's one photo signed bought from the event, or included in the ticket, plus one item of your own(sometimes 'subject to approval' to allow for refusals on odd or inappropriate stuff) and then whatever photo opportunity is involved. Clearly a major balls-up has happened here, and although it is initially the guy selling the signatures at fault, Brady just makes it all worse, and I just don't understand playing the vague and uncertain card like it's his first rodeo?!
As another poster said, I wonder if there will be some lawyers involved with some of the 'defaced' items?

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
As another poster said, I wonder if there will be some lawyers involved with some of the 'defaced' items?

My sense is, probably not. Why would this be any different than all the other flare ups and burn offs in the trading card and autograph business?

Whatever happened to that FBI investigation into trimmed/repaired and graded cards? Or that FBI investigation into fake autographs? Whatever happened to Bob Dylan not really signing those prints? Or the signed editions that go out from book publishers with not quite hand signed signatures?

Nothing that I know of happened. The so-called scandal comes to light, even though a lot of people knew about it before. There is talk of having an investigation and holding people accountable and then . . . The story fades away and you don't hear about it for a few years, until it comes back again in the same or similar form.

If Brady is really pressed, he can always grant the parties a few choice autographs to make up for it. No one willing to pay that kind of money for Brady memorabilia will want to try to sue him. Maybe the promoter or vendor involved will lose some collector business. And the story fades away.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

My sense is, probably not. Why would this be any different than all the other flare ups and burn offs in the trading card and autograph business?

Whatever happened to that FBI investigation into trimmed/repaired and graded cards? Or that FBI investigation into fake autographs? Whatever happened to Bob Dylan not really signing those prints? Or the signed editions that go out from book publishers with not quite hand signed signatures?

Nothing that I know of happened. The so-called scandal comes to light, even though a lot of people knew about it before. There is talk of having an investigation and holding people accountable and then . . . The story fades away and you don't hear about it for a few years, until it comes back again in the same or similar form.

Yup! The Emperor has no clothes, everyone says they guarantee the signature but never quite stipulates what that means. Some companies still stand up to the challenge...thank you Rittenhouse.

My simple point on Brady being a seasoned signer is that he could have easily signed that few items with no real effort. The right choice was to take care of the paying customer.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:

What would a lawyer say? "You contracted to sign 100 autographs, and all you did was sign 100 autographs"?

For the purposes of the contract, an autograph is an autograph, no matter how ugly it is. Brady met his obligations. In fact, since he signed items he had specifically excluded from his contract, he went beyond his obligations.

Posts: 2217 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post