Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Star Wars Masterwork 2016
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Wars Masterwork 2016
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
That card will certainly go down as one of the best pulls in the product and whoever owns it is lucky indeed. It is also a great example of the medallion card quickly converted to an autograph card. Doesn't really look like it belongs does it?

To me this card represents both the best use argument and the worst use argument for sticker signatures. The sticker autograph turns a marginal manufactured hit into something rare and in demand. On the other hand the autograph seems glaringly out of place and could have just as well been stuck on one those white cardboard blanks meant to confuse pack searchers.

So we get to praise and complain at the same time. Is the glass half full or half empty? Big Grin Wink

Posts: 10404 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
Give this Product.......

TAKE A VICTORY WHERE YOU CAN!

1 Sketch per Case? usually a Laughable attempt considering The Masterworks Name & Price.

The odds of getting Half of the Price out of a Case is FAR TOO High for someone like me. Better to Buy the Good hits if you want them than to Invest 2k in $700 worth of Cards.

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Sketch cards we were given were the worst quality paper stock i've ever worked on. It was like drawing or painting on an oil covered surface. The pencils sat on top and would easily be brushed away, inks pooled and beaded up and would get smeared, watercolors blotted and beaded up. only those willing to sit and sand down or gesso the surface managed to get decent results. This is why you see so many bad cards. It's not from lack of trying it's from trying to get something done on a card stock that didn't want to be worked on. It looks like the printers UV coated the entire card surface making it almost unusable. Those who did get it to work gessoed and painted their cards. Topps knows because we all complained and some even sent the blanks back un done.

Posts: 185 | Location: South Florida | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Justice41:
The Sketch cards we were given were the worst quality paper stock i've ever worked on. It was like drawing or painting on an oil covered surface. The pencils sat on top and would easily be brushed away, inks pooled and beaded up and would get smeared, watercolors blotted and beaded up. only those willing to sit and sand down or gesso the surface managed to get decent results. This is why you see so many bad cards. It's not from lack of trying it's from trying to get something done on a card stock that didn't want to be worked on. It looks like the printers UV coated the entire card surface making it almost unusable. Those who did get it to work gessoed and painted their cards. Topps knows because we all complained and some even sent the blanks back un done.

Mr. Cover you've done quality sketches in many products from Star Wars to Star Trek to Buffy. I'm lucky enough to have pack pulled one of your Star Trek spaceships. I totally believe you. It explains a lot, just weird that it would happen. Everyone knows you can't even write an autograph on a coated card. Roll Eyes

Posts: 10404 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is how bad it was, half my cards got rejected. I tried acrylics watercolors markers inkwash and shaded pencils all just smeared or smudged or pooled up on the surface. I used my own AP blanks to test on. The artists who managed I give em kudo's as they figured out the gesso thing. I was able to get some gesso on my wood cards and get some color on those. On top of that Topps wedge in another cards set while we were doing this set. They told us to stop all MW work and do these first. That was Rogue 1 Mission Briefing. My Wood variants came out decent , I used clear gesso as to not cover the wood. Really sucked to send those in with just inks on them or just pencils

Posts: 185 | Location: South Florida | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hairs in the scanner

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by Justice41:

Mr. Cover you've done quality sketches in many products from Star Wars to Star Trek to Buffy. I'm lucky enough to have pack pulled one of your Star Trek spaceships. I totally believe you. It explains a lot, just weird that it would happen. Everyone knows you can't even write an autograph on a coated card. Roll Eyes

Unless topps had some artists test each stock it would be hard to catch until it was too late.They just told us do your best.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Kryten67
posted Hide Post
you guys gotta forgive me for this ONE

Christopher Lee as Negan

Posts: 692 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
HA! I can see it! Cool

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.

Posts: 971 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
a few of my WIP Masterworks AP's hopefully i will be able to paint these on this garbage stock.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Justice41,

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Looking good! Thumb Up

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.

Posts: 971 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of MARKPERRY2000
posted Hide Post
Anyone else think that TOPPS is flooding the marketing and that it's going kill what little life the Non-Sports niche has been able to crave out. I think that the need to reign it in a bit and make fewer products per year. Just to allow the market to catch it's breath. It's just so over whelming. The various sets and their sub-sets,chase cards, parallels Wink,etc. and this is not to say that there the only company that's doing this. After so many years we as fans of certain genres and franchises are reveling in the movies and TV shows that are being produced. I understand that as a company it's all about profit, but respect your customers and don;t take advantage of there love for this card market and beat them over the head with product. If it's good, it will sell. I just want the Non-sport market to thrive and go on as long as possible, I love it so. I apologize for the rant,just my 2 cents.

Posts: 43 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: November 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
No need to apologise, plenty of collectors are saying this. Indeed your comments like this forum is rather polite and considered in it's criticism, there are several forums where the comments are, to put it mildly, more forceful and direct Big Grin .

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARKPERRY2000:
Anyone else think that TOPPS is flooding the marketing and that it's going kill what little life the Non-Sports niche has been able to crave out. I think that the need to reign it in a bit and make fewer products per year. Just to allow the market to catch it's breath. It's just so over whelming. The various sets and their sub-sets,chase cards, parallels Wink,etc. and this is not to say that there the only company that's doing this. After so many years we as fans of certain genres and franchises are reveling in the movies and TV shows that are being produced. I understand that as a company it's all about profit, but respect your customers and don;t take advantage of there love for this card market and beat them over the head with product. If it's good, it will sell. I just want the Non-sport market to thrive and go on as long as possible, I love it so. I apologize for the rant,just my 2 cents.

I imagine Topps and Disney have a contract stating how many Star Wars sets they are required to release per year. And yes, they are flooding the market.

Posts: 858 | Location: Golden Valley, MN | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Saw this youtube video on another forum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvALbqlrFLc

It shows Stephen Stanton signing his Masterworks cards (and sticker sheets). It's pretty cool to see the effort, care, and enthusiasm he puts into it. It makes me want to grab one or two of his autos now. I wish all signers were like this.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of DavidDeb
posted Hide Post
nice work, seems hard to work with indeed especially wood. Best paper for me is Breygent and Crypto.

Posts: 529 | Location: Canada | Registered: March 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AWR
posted Hide Post
What a cool video. Wonder if all actors take as much time and effort when signing.

Wonder if it would be possible for TOPPS to have one of their signers come to the Philly Non Sport Card show (or other shows / conventions) and sign cards live so that collectors can see how this works

Posts: 382 | Location: Califon, NJ | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post