Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  News & Rumors    Rittenhouse Cheers Seasons 1 thru 4
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rittenhouse Cheers Seasons 1 thru 4
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
posted
Cheers popped up on RA's release schedule with a mid 2024 release date.

https://www.scifihobby.com/releaseschedule-full.cfm

Posts: 5417 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Too bad that Harry Anderson isn't still around to sign cards.

I think Sports Illustrated once made up some mockup Sam Mayday Malone baseball cards for an April Fools issue -- Rittenhouse should do a subset of those.

Posts: 2212 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Wow! That could be super strong or a complete dud depending on who they got onboard to sign. Quite a few strong guest stars as well.

So I guess they aren't going to do another full Umbrella Academy release. Makes me happy I slammed in a master set of the first one.

Posts: 4858 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Ted Danson is a confirmed signer.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
I much preferred Frasier to Cheers, but I’ll be all over a Kelsey Grammer Frasier Crane auto.
As he signed for X-Men & Trek, hopefully he will sign for RA again for the show that put him on the map.

A double auto of Frasier & Lilith would be great.

Woody Harrelson would be amazing if they can get him.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I was thinking pretty much the same thing. I went from, "Why would you do that?" to "That could work."

quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Wow! That could be super strong or a complete dud depending on who they got onboard to sign. Quite a few strong guest stars as well.

So I guess they aren't going to do another full Umbrella Academy release. Makes me happy I slammed in a master set of the first one.

Posts: 4395 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
If "Cheers" does well, we might see a "Frasier" set too. The autograph possibilities would be interesting just from the celebrities that did the call-ins to Frasier's radio show.

quote:
Originally posted by X:
I much preferred Frasier to Cheers, but I’ll be all over a Kelsey Grammer Frasier Crane auto.
As he signed for X-Men & Trek, hopefully he will sign for RA again for the show that put him on the map.

A double auto of Frasier & Lilith would be great.

Woody Harrelson would be amazing if they can get him.

Posts: 4395 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I only occasionally watched Cheers, but I have seen every episode of Frasier. Oddly enough Kelsey Grammer's Fraiser was my least favorite character. Perhaps the writers made him too much of an insufferable snob in the end. For me, the secondary plot of Niles and Daphne was the whole reason to watch, plus maybe Eddie.

I would love to see autographs from David Hyde Pierce, Jane Leeves and Peri Gilpin. Besides Grammer, I think only Bebe Neuwirth has done certified cards. Not sure if they would agree though. The current "Frasier" reboot is missing them all as main cast members and appears to have been a disappointment, but I have yet to see the new show.

Anyway, I feel the same way about "Cheers" cards as I would with "Frasier". If RA wants to put out boxes in this $150 - $250 price range that its got stuck in, it needs all the big signers from the regular cast and at least some better known guest stars. The chance of pulling very limited Ted Danson autograph cards will carry $75 boxes, but there must be more value if there is super high cost because, let's face it, you probably won't find him.

Posts: 10409 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I think I saw at least most of the "Cheers" episodes when they originally ran - great show. It did seem like an odd choice to do the spin-off with Frasier but it might have seemed to have been an interesting challenge for the writers to make him a more sympathetic character over time. Yes, he wanted to be seen as a highly successful, stylish ladies' man but he often eneded up looking like a fool, and to his credit, he was able to recognize himself as that when it happened. Along the way, the audience also saw him trying to be a better person so people were cheering for him.

The first two episodes of the reboot were on CBS or NBC a couple of weeks ago and I watched. They were good with Frederick as a young man now. I assume other characters will appear over time. Other "Cheers" characters didn't visit "Frasier" very often.

Hopefully, RA will try to keep the cost down on the first set to make any price hike for the second tolerable. I look forward to reading some box breaks.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A number of the principals have passed on -- Nicholas Colasanto, Kirstie Alley, Harry Anderson, Roger Rees, Keene Curtis.

It'll be interesting to see if Jay Thomas (Carla's boyfriend Eddie LeBec) appears, since he was pushed out of the show for saying that kissing Rhea Perlman was bad.

Posts: 2212 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
It'll be interesting to see if Jay Thomas (Carla's boyfriend Eddie LeBec) appears, since he was pushed out of the show for saying that kissing Rhea Perlman was bad.

Never been paid to kiss someone before...I have no frame of reference on how to feel about this.

Posts: 4858 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
quote:

Never been paid to kiss someone before...I have no frame of reference on how to feel about this.

That part I don't remember because I wasn't that much of a "Cheers" follower, but it's called acting. Thomas is no Paul Newman and maybe she wasn't that thrilled about kissing him either. Big Grin

Wise guys can't shut up, not even when it's in their best interests.

Posts: 10409 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
quote:
A number of the principals have passed on -- Nicholas Colasanto, Kirstie Alley, Harry Anderson, Roger Rees, Keene Curtis.

Jay Thomas passed away a number of years ago.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ifish7

Check that Obit thread. Nothing like being right up to date. Big Grin

On the serious side, this is why the "death bounce" in non-sport signed cards has no lasting effect for lesser-known celebrities. If certified autograph cards do exist, there is generally some spike in price when the signer passes away, but it is only temporary. In a few years most people won't remember who is dead or alive, and values will return to the common ranges when it's not a major star.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by ifish7

Check that Obit thread. Nothing like being right up to date. Big Grin

Doh!!

OTOH, if Tom Clancy can still publish books, it seems like Thomas could sign a few cards.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:

On the serious side, this is why the "death bounce" in non-sport signed cards has no lasting effect for lesser-known celebrities. If certified autograph cards do exist, there is generally some spike in price when the signer passes away, but it is only temporary. In a few years most people won't remember who is dead or alive, and values will return to the common ranges when it's not a major star.

Yeah, not to sound morbid but basically at that point for value about the best you could hope for is a resurgence or cult following of something they did.

posted Hide Post
When someone passes away it becomes a news cycle. People become interested again -- a lot of times for me it was that I had always wanted to get that person's autograph, but never did.

I think the only way prices really remain elevated in those cases is if all of the autographs for that person that were in the market dry up, or if there are still many out there.

I also think that having certified autographs of people who have passed away has become really common.

When Biz Markie passed away I was bummed as I always wanted his autograph. I watched people buy those autographs at inflated prices, then try to flip them. One seller paid ~$85 on COMC for a Biz Markie and immediately relisted for ~$200. I recently saw he had it listed for $37.

Posts: 5417 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
If certified autograph cards do exist, there is generally some spike in price when the signer passes away, but it is only temporary.

Not always. Ricky Jay had two signed James Bond cards. He was an acquaintance, and I keep up with them. While he was alive, I was able to pick them up regularly for under $25. Now they are typically offered fo $100 or so, and routinely sell for $50 - 100 (although a few slip through for less). But they essentially doubled when he died, and never fell back.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Value changes of certified autograph cards, when not extreme, may have no other reason than market fluctuation itself and may not be based on the individual at all, but on things like the product title and production run. Common signers will generally remain commons, absent some additional success, but prices for the group may well rise or fall as the checklist does. If I said the Ricky Jay cards rose after 2018, is that because he died or because the market for limited Bond autograph cards went up with the pandemic years? Could be both reasons.

This may be a generalization, but it is an absolutely true generalization that when a common signer dies the "ghoul" effect will kick in and create a temporary spike in sales. It's also true that 5 years later nobody remembers, and the demand is back to square one on average. Is anybody still looking for Johnny Lewis or Lee Thompson Young? Probably not much.

You can find exceptions if you look hard and want to find them, but as a rule death alone doesn't make for a star card price without something else going on.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
Cheers is now on the main page. No details though.

Posts: 3252 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post