Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    The Death Of New Zealand Post
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Death Of New Zealand Post
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted
This from this mornings NZ Herald (newspaper)
Is this the way of the world?

NZ Post may soon only be delivering letters three times a week to NZ letterboxes.
New Zealand Post's proposal to reduce mail delivery service to as few as three times a week is unsustainable and unjustified, the union for postal workers has said.
The proposal, released today by Communications and Information Technology Minister Amy Adams, seeks to cut mail delivery days from six to three days a week to allow "greater flexibility" in its services.
"During the last 10 years mail volumes have dropped considerably, with 265 million fewer items being posted each year compared to 2002. Within five years, mail volumes are forecast to be nearly half what they were in 2002," Ms Adams said.
But while consultation is underway between the EPMU and New Zealand Post about the company's proposal, postal industry organizer for EPMU, George Collins, says he doesn't believe the cuts would be justified.
"Postal services all over the world are suffering from declining mail volumes and having to adapt, and New Zealand Post is no different," Mr Collins s
"This may involve a reduction in the number of delivery days or redeployment within New Zealand Post, but we would caution against any kneejerk reactions."
Mr Collins said EPMU also had concerns around the "integrity" of New Zealand's postal service.
"Are New Zealanders going to wait days for their mail?"
He said the union was under no illusions about the financial realities of the situation, but it was about finding a long-term solution that was sustainable for everyone.
Communications Minister Amy Adams and NZ Post say it's too early to tell how many of the 7000 postal employees will lose their jobs should a proposal to cut mail delivery services to three days a week go ahead.
The move was first suggested by former NZ Post chairman Jim Bolger three years ago in response to diving letter volumes associated with the rise of email over the last two decades. That decline has accelerated sharply in recent years.
The proposal would require changes to Universal Service Obligations - an agreement between NZ Post and the Government which guarantees postal services to the public.
NZ Post will also consult on proposals to bring self-service kiosks for some services.
"New Zealand Post has advised me that it considers changes are needed to ensure a sustainable postal service in the 21st century," said Ms Adams.
"Any change would require Government approval, and before deciding what, if any, changes to make, I want to give the public the opportunity to comment on the proposals.
"We want them to start thinking about the last time that they got a letter that was so time sensitive that another day would make a difference. It will be a big change, a significant change and that's why we need to have a good conversation with the public."
Spokesman John Tulloch said the electronic kiosks would provide a number of services from wiring parcels to paying bills.
NZ Post was trialling kiosks in 10 stores, but they weren't necessarily the models that would be used.
"What we're looking at doing is putting more of that technology into the network to extend that presence."
While the prospect of an entirely kiosk-driven model wasn't likely soon, it was a possibility in the long run, he said.
"We're still very beholden to the traditional model."
The proposal also "takes account of the fact that technology and changing customer behaviours mean services can and will be provided through various channels," Mr Tulloch said.
Long-term, this could mean the extension of services to supermarkets, stationery stores, pharmacies and service stations.
NZ Post employs about 7000 staff in its mail division including about 2200 posties.
Ms Adams told reporters that job losses were "something that they'll be talking to their posties about".
"What they will have to look at is how they will provide that service whether they use the same posties doing different routes on different days. That's something they will work through."

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
Best quote of the article...

quote:
"We want them to start thinking about the last time that they got a letter that was so time sensitive that another day would make a difference. It will be a big change, a significant change and that's why we need to have a good conversation with the public."

If you need guarantees, most people are using courier service for important shipments. At least in the US.

I know we all want our cards in the mail tomorrow, but another day or two really won't make much difference in the long run.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5084 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
Frankly, I don't see why they can't have an annual posting of all bills (and every item marked IRD) and have twice a day delivery of all envelopes marked "Cards)

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
You would think that with the reduction of billions of letters being posted worldwide due to all the different forms of technology being used for commuinication, the post would be more efficient. It still took 5 days for a letter to get to me from 30 miles away with first class postage (supposedly next day delivery) Shake Head

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I mailed a small package from NJ to my friend in New Zealand on Dec 6, and it took six weeks to get to her. Not sure who was at fault, the NZ post office or someone here in the U.S.

Posts: 4721 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, how do you guys handle things as seler and/or buyer regarding ebay and paypal dispute for not received items when they only allow 45 days to open a dispute?

Posts: 69 | Location: Earth | Registered: November 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
I had a "item not received" claim this month on a first class international package to Italy. We waited until the last minute and the buyer opened the case at something like 43 or 44 days.

All I could do was offer a full refund. First class has no tracking, and it was $12 worth of cards.

5 days later I get an unexpected PayPal payment. Cards made it finally and the buyer re-paid. Made my week to know there are still honest folks out there.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5084 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hey Ed,

There are still definitely honest people in the world. Big Grin About a year or so ago, I purchased a sketch card from a dealer in the UK. After waiting a little more than a month, I contacted him and told him that the sketch had not yet arrived. He promptly offered me a full refund, no questions asked. Three weeks later, the sketch card finally showed up in my mailbox. I contacted the seller that same day and told him the card arrived and that I would be resending the full amount to his Paypal account. Like you, he was beyond pleased. Smile Of course, the original purchase had been in pounds, so with the current exchange rate, I ended up paying him a few dollars more. But I didn't care, as it was the right thing to do, plus my kharma was on the line, lol! Wink

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.

Posts: 971 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, me too, I resend the payment directly through Paypal.

My problem is being too considerate. Some sellers keep asking to wait for another week or another one because of the international shipment. I often found myself nearing the 45 days limit before I ask for the refund or sometimes even surpassing the limit.

Right now one of my purchases still has not arrived, bought Dec.3. It is now on its 60th day, but the seller has not provided me the tracking number and keeps saying that he will look for the receipt. I relied on good faith because of his 55 pts 100% feedback. I am still under negotiation with him to issue me the refund for two weeks already, but still in blur. I am contemplating whether to give him his first negative or not.

Posts: 69 | Location: Earth | Registered: November 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
I did that once - I purchased 2 sketches sold by an well known artist on e-bay, the cards didn't arrive and they kept saying wait another week until I was too late to claim and the artist never offered me ANYTHING Frown

Posts: 12160 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I had an ebay scam many years ago. Purchased an item from a seller in Canada around June 1. Paid $ 24. The auction said the item was a pre-release and wouldn't be out until Aug 1. I saw that and was OK with it. Guy had a 100% positive rating.

I waited until mid-August, but didn't receive anything. Contacted the seller many times, but no response. I complained to ebay and was told that it was too late, I should have complained within 30 days of the auction ending, that is, by July 1. But, as I noted, the seller said the item would not be out until August !

Furthermore, Paypal told me that as the item was less than $25, before shipping, they would not refund my money ! I think the whole thing, with shipping, was like $29.

This happened back around 2002.

Posts: 4721 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post