Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Ian Stevenson Bands of the 70s
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ian Stevenson Bands of the 70s
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted
TCDB.com has a listing for the subject set, is a 36-card set that does what it says -- cards of bands from the 1970s.

If it weren't for the TCDB reference, I wouldn't know of these cards. I've never seen them for sale, and googling for them yields no information beyond the listing above.

Does anyone know anything about them? I wouldn't mind picking up a set if they were reasonable.

Posts: 2224 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Found a listing on Ebay. Looks like it might be a UK release? Also seller lists the brand as custom, so most likely a custom made set.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/402321467708

Posts: 99 | Location: Virginia | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It appears that the seller is also has a set of 36 card of solo Artists for the 70's as well as similar sets for the 60's. They confirm that the cards are custom made.

Posts: 2123 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
It looks like you can have a set for almost any subject you like.

Posts: 29006 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
So they are Broders. Thanks for the info.

Too bad he isn't a better graphic designer. There are some sets he's done that could have been very interesting.

I wonder if Ian Stevenson is the person who produces these. From the "Sold" listings on ebay, he's selling a bunch of unlicensed cards.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bill Mullins,

Posts: 2224 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
From what I have seen on eBay lately, there is no longer any such thing as a "Broder" or even an unlicensed card. Apparently as long as you identify it as a "custom" you are good. I would assume that if an actual license holder made a complaint, it might be taken down, maybe.

There are some fairly expensive "custom" autograph cards on eBay now that are slabbed and authenticated by BGS. The sticker signatures have passed muster and the "Broder" cards, excuse me "custom" cards, don't seem to matter very much, I guess. Roll Eyes

Posts: 10433 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
From what I have seen on eBay lately, there is no longer any such thing as . . . an unlicensed card.

??? Of course there are. Topps, Rittenhouse, etc. pay a ton of money for licenses.

Some custom card makers do really attractive work, and they fill a hole in the market when they make cards for people who don't have standard licensed cards, but I think most of them would admit that what they do is unlicensed and that they exist at the sufferance of license holders. I don't think Marvel really cares that much about the guy who makes a few cards of Jenny Agutter for someone rounding out his collection of Avengers autos. But I'm surprised that this guy is able to sell thousands of $ worth of stuff for valuable commercial properties that typically are vigilant about their IP rights (Bond, for example, or Elvis, or the Olympic Committee).

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
quote:
From what I have seen on eBay lately, there is no longer any such thing as . . . an unlicensed card.

??? Of course there are. Topps, Rittenhouse, etc. pay a ton of money for licenses.

Some custom card makers do really attractive work, and they fill a hole in the market when they make cards for people who don't have standard licensed cards, but I think most of them would admit that what they do is unlicensed and that they exist at the sufferance of license holders. I don't think Marvel really cares that much about the guy who makes a few cards of Jenny Agutter for someone rounding out his collection of Avengers autos. But I'm surprised that this guy is able to sell thousands of $ worth of stuff for valuable commercial properties that typically are vigilant about their IP rights (Bond, for example, or Elvis, or the Olympic Committee).

I thought I was being pretty good with the dripping sarcasm, but maybe not. Yes, unlicensed cards are unlicensed cards and some people still call them "Broders". However "custom" cards on eBay are a cottage industry now and they are even getting slabbed by grading services for things like authentic autographs. Sketches are being graded and slabbed and that enters a whole world of aftermarket and custom work that may not have come out of the boxed products.

Lines are blurring and many license holders are asleep. None of this stuff is being hidden. I am not surprised at all by any "homemade" cards I see on eBay now. Somebody is buying, so somebody keeps making and selling them, and they are being accepted because nobody says its wrong. Big Grin

Posts: 10433 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
"Broders"???

Posts: 3257 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Raj, not to repeat the same discussion we had a little while ago, see pages 9 & 10 of the thread linked below.

https://nonsportupdate.infopop...657064107#6657064107

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It was weird that the card maker used the band name, "The Sweet," since the band changed its name from that to "Sweet" in the early 70's. I guess he could have done a Jefferson Airplane card to represent just the early work of the band that changed its name two more times in subsequent years (Jefferson Starship to Starship).

I wonder if some bands and solo artists would still bother go after unlicensed card makers. Several years ago, I did witness law enforcement seizing counterfeit clothing at a local flea market. Maybe you appear on the radar after you are seen jumping over a certain figure.

quote:
Originally posted by Raj:
"Broders"???

Posts: 4419 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Raj, not to repeat the same discussion we had a little while ago, see pages 9 & 10 of the thread linked below.

https://nonsportupdate.infopop...657064107#6657064107

Thanks.

Posts: 3257 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post