Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bob Ross Baseball
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
Topps has cards coming in October which incorporates art from the famous painter

Posts: 4018 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Just in case you wanted some actual, you know, information about the release.

And there are already Bob Ross cards out there.

Posts: 2220 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Love the idea, not as big a fan of the execution.

Posts: 1573 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Well its a sports card set, so right there you have to be interested in baseball or what's the point? But supposing that you are, still what has that got to do with forest and desert landscapes as back drops?

I know, try something creative, but it just wouldn't work for me either way. I think it's his Estate trying to cash in as much as possible on the current resurgence of Ross' legacy and Topps trying whatever it can to sell to both card markets.

Posts: 10428 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Yes this is a baseball release not non-sport related.

Posts: 5790 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jessica
posted Hide Post
Wow. So, the Bob Ross license must be pretty cheap. I really do not understand the connection of Bob Ross to baseball????? Am I missing something? Was he an obsessed fan? Was he a big supporter of baseball? I'm kinda sure he never played (at least as a pro). Really odd idea for a set. I just don't get it. Yet another cash grab that the flipper sports guys will eat up. Shake Head

Posts: 1954 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA | Registered: May 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
For sure. It sold out very, very quickly at 2 grand a case. Eek

Well, that's not exactly true. It was $1,979.99 for full case, so if you were willing to get 10 hobby boxes, they knocked a buck off of each $200 box, so you got 'em for just $199 per.

quote:
Originally posted by Batman:
Yes this is a baseball release not non-sport related.

Not completely. This "Super Short Print" of the artist is about to become a pretty collectible non-sports issue.

And this chase set featuring popular players sporting Ross' trademark hairdo is something else entirely.

What exactly, I couldn't say.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chesspieceface,

Posts: 3332 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Bob Ross is getting the Thomas Kinkade treatment, only Kinkade was still living when he's artwork went from paintings to reprints on all manner of merchandise that had nothing to do with it. Kinkade is known as the "painter of light", in case you don't know that all those jigsaw puzzles, calendars, mugs, T-shirts, Hallmark Christmas cards, and whatever else you own with lighted scenes on it is carrying his licensed images. His Estate is making more now than when he was alive and creating new work, but at least he was well aware of it. Not sure how much Ross would like to be used for baseball card backdrops or fright wigs on baseball players.

Anyway, it does seem to have sold out from Topps, which is all they care about. I use to know the baseball card market and my logic tells me that this is a bad time to buy a baseball set because the driving forces are much different than in non-sport cards.

Yes, you need big stars, but you also need hot rookies. At this time of year some players may get a bump from playoff and World Series action, but hot rookies already have their first and best rookie cards out and new rookies for next season have not emerged yet. Sorry to talk baseball card finer points here, but what it comes down to is, I just can't understand why people are willing to spend so much on trading cards, even in late season sports. Somebody is, they sell out from the maker, but what happens after that? Who ultimately gets stuck with these cards when auction houses won't touch anything made after 1980 unless it falls into specific exception areas?

It seems like all card collecting rules are out the window and everybody continues to whistle pass the graveyard, as if that will do it. Wink

Posts: 10428 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jessica
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Not sure how much Ross would like to be used for baseball card backdrops or fright wigs on baseball players.

Wait, this is a wig on a player?! My eyesight isn't so great nowadays and I'm waiting on my new glasses, I just thought they took a pic of Ross (just his face) and put it on a player's body or something like that. OMG, a wig! LMAO!!! That's great, in a sad way! That is pretty pathetic Topps. Is it April 1st? No? A Halloween joke maybe? Big Grin

Also, wasn't there like a documentary/movie or something about Ross and how his estate had some big drama or something?

Posts: 1954 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA | Registered: May 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
From what I read on line, back in the 1990s before he died, Bob signed over all rights to his image to his manager, which upset his family. So the manager was/is in control of everything. Bob Ross was survived by his son and I think he was divorced at the time of his death.

Posts: 4018 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jessica:

Also, wasn't there like a documentary/movie or something about Ross and how his estate had some big drama or something?

It's on Netflix and very much worth watching. It's really sad to see how people he trusted took advantage of him.

Posts: 1573 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Not sure how much Ross would like to be used for baseball card backdrops or fright wigs on baseball players.

Wait, this is a wig on a player?! My eyesight isn't so great nowadays and I'm waiting on my new glasses, I just thought they took a pic of Ross (just his face) and put it on a player's body or something like that. OMG, a wig! LMAO!!! That's great, in a sad way! That is pretty pathetic Topps. Is it April 1st? No? A Halloween joke maybe? Big Grin

Don't take me literally on this one Jessica. Sometimes I like a good line and fright wigs sounds funny. Big Grin

The chase set is about the Ross hairdo, and I have no idea if its fake hair or just baseball players with similar styles. Not that attractive either way.

Yes, what happened after Ross died got very messy between his relatives and his business partners. Ross seems to have made a lot of mistakes himself, but maybe he didn't know how sick he was. Also, it's been the surviving business of Bob Ross Inc. that really blew up his success well after he passed. So maybe he didn't know how popular he would eventually become. Whatever the reason, his family settled out early and all this licensed stuff is approved and controlled by others who have hit the jackpot.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Bob Ross merchandise is all over the place, and I think it has increased even in this year alone. You see it at Target, in supermarkets and even in small gift shops. Games, playing cards, and even food items. No joke

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
His son Steve Ross is a painter as well and has his own website. He resembles his dad somewhat, minus the hair.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There's a popular Chia Pet of Bob, where the chia, once full-grown, forms his famed perm. Other celebrities given the treatment include David Hasselhoff and Weird Al Yankovic, which work, but also, for some reason, Pee Wee Herman, who looks a lot more like fitness guru Richard Simmons once the chia has sprouted.

Posts: 3332 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

It's definitely all photoshop.

Topps has been been doing lots of goofing around lately.
Check out the details of their Taco Bell-promotion Tacofractor cards.
Several lucky (or unlucky, depending how you feel about Taco Bell) collectors will win free Tacos for life.

https://cardlines.com/2023-topps-chrome-tacofractor/

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
We have Roku TV and there is a TV station which plays Bob Ross' show 24/7.

I was watching an episode from 1985 yesterday and was later surprised to learn that when he died 10 years later, in 1995, his net worth at the time was supposedly only 1 M.

I also read that one should beware of the allegedly "real" Bob Ross paintings you see on ebay because there is no way to prove that they are genuine. When you see them on ebay, the asking price appears to be 15 to 30 K. Also, beware of the auctions which say "Bob Ross inspired" because people might think that he actually did them.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Like many artists, Bob Ross paintings became more valuable after he died. His show was on PBS, probably not a lot of cash there.

I don't think anyone would pay 15 to 30 grand without authentication though. And I don't know who said that you can't prove if they are genuine or not. Perhaps there might be some art experts with differing opinions on a painting, but there is a whole field of art forgery experts, just as there are whole forgery fields on anything worth big money. Even the guys on the "Antiques Roadshow" can pick out the fakes from the originals.

Not that I'd go to an eBay seller for a Ross painting, but there must be an accepted way to know and prove it, as is done with any painter, even the Old Masters.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
but there must be an accepted way to know and prove it, as is done with any painter, even the Old Masters.

There is no "proof", only opinions. Even the "experts" change their minds, and disagree with each other. Is Salvator Mundi by da Vinci? Opinions vary . . .

Posts: 2220 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
quote:
but there must be an accepted way to know and prove it, as is done with any painter, even the Old Masters.

There is no "proof", only opinions. Even the "experts" change their minds, and disagree with each other. Is Salvator Mundi by da Vinci? Opinions vary . . .

There was a recent episode of Fake or Fortune (season 11 episode 4)- a show which tries to discover whether an artwork is real or a fake - where everyone agreed it was by the artist Arshile Gorky but they wouldn't authenticate it.
Gorky had done a painting and then gone over it with white paint. After his death (1960's), his wife asked a restorer to try and remove the white paint. He couldn't and the wife gifted it to the restorer. Move forward to the 21st century and the restorer's widow starts to try and remove the white paint again. The Institute dedicated to Gorky's work wouldn't authenticate the painting as Gorky's work because, by attempting to remove the white paint, they'd gone against the artist's wishes.

Posts: 3255 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post