Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stars
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted
On the thread index page is a column called rating. How does this work? I note that the "What new set should I collect" post has 23 replies and 781 viewers and gets 5 gold stars but two posts down is "Who says buying loose packs..." has 1040 replies and 98,829 (if we had a 1,000 members we have all looked at this post a thousand times each!!) views but only warrants 4 and a half stars. Huh???

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Averaging, it is one way to lower the digit length of scores.

Posts: 69 | Location: Earth | Registered: November 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
That's a good question. If the view counter is accurate I would think it means just that, how many times anyone has clicked into the thread. I don't think it matters if its a member or a guest, so you could have a large count that doesn't match to the number of members.

Now why the stars go up or who decides on the number of stars I don't know. It doesn't seem to match a particular reply or view number. Most threads have no stars, but many of them have higher count numbers in replies and views than some of the ones with stars. Also comparing the few with stars, a few with fewer stars have higher counts than others with more stars.

It seems to go by a really small number of votes, but I don't know who is voting. I didn't even know there was voting. Wink

In other words, I never gave it any thought, but now that I do, I can't make any sense out of it either. Big Grin

I guess a moderator will have to explain.

Posts: 10405 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you place your pointer over the stars, it will tell you the star rating and how many votes.

When you open a thread, there are five stars at the top, under the Welcome, User ID. I would assume that you can click on a specific star to rate the post.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 114 | Location: Kansas | Registered: April 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bond:
If you place your pointer over the stars, it will tell you the star rating and how many votes.

When you open a thread, there are five stars at the top, under the Welcome, User ID. I would assume that you can click on a specific star to rate the post.

Hope this helps.

Sounds good, but when I tried it on this thread and the Cards on the Back of Action Figures thread, the number of votes on this one went down and nothing changed on the other one, it still has no stars though I choose 5.

I did get a Thank You For Your Feedback message both times, so you are right about that, thanks. I guess no one really uses this feature, or all of the threads would have ratings and some would be very low. Big Grin

Oh the stars just appeared with 1 vote on the Cards on Back thread, so that's the answer. How about that? Elephant

Posts: 10405 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting...you learn something new everyday!

Posts: 457 | Location: Raleigh | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
Despite only having 5 posts to it, this topic now has 4 stars! Curiouser and curiouser said Alice. What we need is a moderator but they are a bit like taxis when you don't want one they are everywhere but when you do they disappear completely.

Earth calling Harris. Come in Harris you are needed!

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
Okay so people 'Rate' a thread based on the number of stars (/5) they click.

The rating 'averages' out as more people Rate/vote.

Most people actually 'miss'/don't notice the star rating system...

So regardless of a thread being popular vs new etc, one might have 5 stars if one person votes the new thread, but a popular thread might not have any if no one has voted.

If you notice not many of the threads have any stars on them because no one has rated.

Hope this helps? Don't think it reflects much about the interest of the thread itself. Wave

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post