Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oddball cards
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here are 6 cards from the "McGruff The Crime Dog" 18-card promo set. I know it's a promo because it says the cards are free on the back of card #1. What isn't said on any of the cards is the manufacturer nor the date. It appears the set was given out for free by the McGruff.org website in some way but the source isn't stated.

Each card gives a tip for kids on dealing with bullies, being safe online, and staying safe in general.

Without knowing the date, I figured I'd show it among other oddball cards. I had never seen this set before about a month and a half ago.

Posts: 4391 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
"Broders" changed their names to "ACEOs", "Art Cards", and "Customs", and somehow became respectable.

Posts: 2207 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Jess

I would like to see a real Broder card not one done in the style, do any still exist?

John

Posts: 2120 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
Jess

I would like to see a real Broder card not one done in the style, do any still exist?

John

Search for "Broder" on ebay in the sports cards category. There are plenty out there, and there are people who collect them as a specialty.

Posts: 2207 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
Jess

John

Search for "Broder" on ebay in the sports cards category. There are plenty out there, and there are people who collect them as a specialty.

The ones produced by Ed and Rob Broder are the true cards. Mostly in the 70s and the early 80s, mostly sports cards, many in black and white.

After they had early success doing these cards at a time when only Topps held the rights, "Broder" became a catch all term for unlicensed cards. Eventually Topps dropped the hammer on the Broders, father and son.

In the 80s and early 90s a lot of "Broders" were made to appear to be promo cards or product cards for sets and merchandise that did not exist. Much of this new batch of unlimited cardboard was in the variety of shiny, flashy looking cards of superstar players or hot rookies that often-fooled novice collectors into spending lots of money on junk. They had nothing to do with the actual Broder family by that time.

Many original "Broders" and all the copycat "Broders" can be found all over eBay. Technically they aren't worth a thing, but that doesn't seem to bother buyers. Big Grin

Posts: 10399 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
As discussed here on Card Talk, over the past 5-10 years there have been a whole slew of high quality "promo cards" showing up on ebay, most of which look very professionally made.

There seems to be cards like these for EVERY Star Wars, Marvel or DC Comics superhero movie, Disney film, sci-fi, and CW TV show. These new cards seem to immediately surface with the release of every hot new movie or show. Often the same few ebay sellers have them. None of them are licensed products, I am sure.

Posts: 4006 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Space race/travel and promo card collectors are very familar with a 5-card "Apollo 11 25th Anniversary set given out at Citgo gas stations in 1994. It was easy to find at local shows and online by the late 90's. Even 30 years later, you can find sellers who have plenty available.

Perhaps lesser-known except to longtime promo collectors is this 3-card "The American Bald Eagle" set also given out at Citgo stations in 1994. The cards measure 3 1/2 x 5 1/2 inches - an odd size which not every collector appreciates. It seems fewer people kept them back then but you can still find a set at a reasonable price if you want one.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4391 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Adding to the parade of oddball cards are these 8 unnumbered ones from the 12-card "Frogs" set (Impact, undated). In the middle is the flip-open envelope they came in. It's illustrated on both sides.

These colorful cards are undated but said to be from 1992. The backs have brief text describing the frog species on the fronts. The envelope refers to the cards as "prints" though they are standard card size. The set is said to have been a vending machine product but I don't know remember anything like that coming out of a vending machine especially a set of 12 with its own box. It looks more like something you'd see for sale by the register in a bookstore.

I don't think I've seen another set of frog cards before. I had to have it.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here are 4 cards from the 14-card "Soap Stars" set (Jim Warren, 1989). The seller who had it said the cards were sold in packs but I believe he was thinking about that Star Pics "All My Children" set (or the "Soaps of ABC" subset of that set) which was released around the same time.

These unnumbered cards also feature soap opera actors/actresses of the 1980's but not just from ABC. Shows from CBS and NBC are also represented. It appears to be a promo set or prototype set but it's weird that it includes shows from the 3 major networks of the time. The cards don't bear any copyright info. They just say "Created and produced exclusively by Jim Warren" and "Distributed by Red Star" though with an address. It's possible the set was given out at a trade show or fan event with the permission of the networks and producers but it might be an elaborate Broder.

Anyway, the most familiar face is that of Charles Shaughnessey who years later played the dad on "The Nanny."

The cards not shown feature the following:

Terrell Anthony
Barbara Crampton
Peter Barton
Michael Bays
Paul Johansson
John Loprieno
Brad Maule
Robin Mattson
Lonnie Quinn
Billy Warlock