Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Actors and Roles
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted
There are a couple of threads about different themes people collect.

Mykdude does movie casts.

We've talked about "firsts" and other milestones.

What about pairs of autos from famous people and actors who played them?

Josh Brolin (signed for Marvel Avengers, Leaf Pop Century) played George W. Bush (Allen & Ginter) in "W".

Bill Paxton (signed for Agents of SHIELD) played Fred Haise (2007 Topps Co-Signers) in "Apollo 13".

Phil Hartman (StarPics SNL) played Donald Trump (The Apprentice) on SNL.

Brendan Gleeson (Harry Potter) played Donald Trump in "The Comey Rule".

Corey Stoll (Ant-Man) played Buzz Aldrin (Americana, Topps Co-Signers) in "The First Man."

Chris Farley (SNL) played Norman Schwarzkopf (Defenders of Freedom) on SNL.

Scott Grimes (Orville) played Donald Malarkey (2009 iCardz Band of Brothers) in "Band of Brothers".

Neal McDonough (ST:Movies, Arrow) played Lynn Compton (2009 iCardz Band of Brothers) in "Band of Brothers".

Rocky Marshall (2016 Star Wars various) played Earl McClung (2009 iCardz Band of Brothers) in "Band of Brothers".

Anthony Michael Hall (Dead Zone, Pop Century) played Whitey Ford (multiple baseball cards) in "61".

Billy Dee Williams (Star Wars, Pop Century) played Gale Sayers (multiple football cards) in "Brian's Song".

I'm sure there are many more, particularly if you go through all the celebrity impersonations that have been done on Saturday Night Live.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bill Mullins,

Posts: 2207 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
And I see that mykdude has already addressed this (and I even responded). The memory is second to go, after, uh . . .

Posts: 2207 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Add:

Seth Rogan (Green Hornet) played Steve Wozniak (Upper Deck Goodwin Champions) in "Steve Jobs".

Josh Gad (Leaf Pop Century) played Steve Wozniak in "Jobs".

Al Pacino (Pop Century) played Frank Serpico (2009 Topps American Heritage Heroes) in "Serpico".

Ray Liotta (Pop Century} played Henry Hill (Pop Century) in "Goodfellas".

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Yeah it's a short list for sure...Another one I had was DeNiro and Jake LaMotta.

Susan Walters (Vampire Diaries) played Priscilla Presley.

Ben Foster (World of Warcraft) and Lance Armstrong.

Posts: 4853 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Never gave this subject too much thought, but in looking over the lists you compiled, it occurs to me that almost all the autograph cards of the actors would cost more than the autograph cards of the actual famous people they played.

Trump would be an exception over any of those actors and maybe Bush over Brolin. Signatures from neither Sayers nor Ford go that high anymore because they signed so much. Armstrong has fallen out of favor. Maybe Aldrin beats Stoll and Presley beats Walters. I don't know what else Stoll and Walters have done.

By in large the actors' autograph cards would seem to be much more in demand than the autograph cards from the real folks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10399 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

By in large the actors' autograph cards would seem to be much more in demand than the autograph cards from the real folks.

That certainly seems true for trading cards. But autographed cards, I think, tend to sell for more than a simple autograph would of the same person. I wonder if the value trend you suggest would hold true for simple autographs, such as signed 3x5 cards.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

That certainly seems true for trading cards. But autographed cards, I think, tend to sell for more than a simple autograph would of the same person. I wonder if the value trend you suggest would hold true for simple autographs, such as signed 3x5 cards.

Good observation. I think autograph v. autograph it would still hold true, but you mention 3x5 cards specifically and that introduces another layer of discussion.

The idea of the simple autograph is generally regarded as it having no inherit value or added value from the material signed. That leaves off trading cards, which bring their own perceived cost based on set and production. Letters, documents, books and even album covers may have their own value to add.

The 8x10 glossy photo that is cheaply reproduced is the choice of the simple autograph collector today. Card collectors may also seek in-person or TTM autographs on base trading cards. They might also like anything that can provide a cut signature for a personal project collection.

But the 3x5 cards, or more commonly index cards, were the choice of old school autograph card collectors who needed nothing more than the authentic autograph. These people often got those signatures in person and had stacks of them laying around without much organization. I know this because I bought a few of those stacks years and years ago. Good famous names, genuine signatures, and no demand for them even back then. Now card makers pick them up for a buck or two to make high priced cut signature cards, but that's all. The 3x5 signed index card gets no respect.

Except from old school autograph collectors and that's why I would say that it is possible that the real folks would count for more than the actors only in that group of autograph collectors. That group is not swayed by the market prices or the latest fad. They don't need hot celebrities. That group is smaller, older and collects autographs in their range of interest for the love of the activity. They are a dying breed and I salute them. Smile

Posts: 10399 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
One important thing I forgot to mention is how grading companies with their signature authentication services have stood the old school autograph collector on his/her head. If you want to sell an autographed item to a dealer now, it must be certified. They do not want to entertain offers on any uncertified signatures unless the value is enough for them to send it in themselves, and they are paying dirt to you to get it.

Any uncertified autographs from fairly modern individuals that are not supported by proof will be worth a fraction of their value and can only be privately traded because the market does not want them. They are genuine, but in this hobby environment they need that third-party seal of approval to be viable for a dealer.

If the 3x5 signed index card was looked down upon before, the need to pay to get it authenticated makes it worth even less. Not to the collector who values it, but to the heir who doesn't give a . . . . Big Grin