Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Dose E Bay cheap shipping still exist
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dose E Bay cheap shipping still exist
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted
Dose the E Bay shipping option wich is supposed to have cheap tracked shipping up to $20 value still exist
I can not find any sellers or sales that offer shipping nowdays under at least $15 US
Mostly it is now The E Bay Global shipping program under the title of E Bay Shipping
Have E Bay somehow convinced sellers to join their expensive shipping or was it compulsory decision by E Bay
Piko

Posts: 761 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
eBay standard envelope still exists, I have it on 90% of my promos.

It has issues. Have had 2 orders not arrive in the last month. One scanned delivered. But the buyer was upset that the tracking did not qualify for them to file a missing mail claim since it was not US postal tracking.

But it is for US only, so that's probably why you're not seeing it.

And yes, eBay has pretty much made the global shipping mandatory. And frankly it's a good thing for sellers as I am only on the hook for getting it to the US distributon hub.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5081 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
The Global Shipping Program has single handidly killed the hobby for anywhere outside the usa. Dealers are forced to charge large amounts of money for postage even on daft things like a $1 promo. It's not their fault which somehow makes it even worse.

Fortunatly in the uk we are still just hanging on thanks to Barrie at Unstoppable who continues to bring out great sets that we can buy and we still have some really good dealers here.

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One thing we in the USA needs to remember is, is that first class international shipping at a Post Office starts at $15.75 to $17.40 for the first 8 ounces ($23.40 - $28.05 up to 32 ounces) to any of the ten international zones.

Not sure how much international buyers are having to pay for up to 8 ounces, but that's the starting retail price. It's very expensive to ship outside of the USA through USPS.

Shipping items as an international letter or international large envelope does not get you any tracking which is what Ebay requires I believe.

So for international buyers not in the USA, how much postage were you charged? Is it any cheaper through the global shipping, or was Post office rates cheaper?

Curious to know.

Posts: 98 | Location: Virginia | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
In the UK it is much cheaper to send via Royal Mail . They automatically insure up to £20 ( $25 ) at no extra cost so a single card to anywhere outside Europe is around £4 ( $5 ) . For anything over £20 up to £250 costs including tracking vary from around £9 to £13 ( $12 to $15 ) .

Only when you get over £250 value does it become crazy expensive as Royal Mail will only ship via Parcelforce with prices starting at £45 ( $55 ) Eek .

The main reason I have seen sales fall off a cliff internationally is not postage cost but Ebay charging the buyer customs fees and taxes which add about 25% to the sale price .

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the customs fees that countries charge on certain items does hurt. Ebay is required to add those charges depending on the country.

I have not had any customs fees charged to me so far, and I do buy in Europe, Canada, China & Australia. But the highest I have spent internationally has been just over $200.00 US, and that was from a Canadian seller.

It is possible the customs fees were part of the postage and I didn't know? But the postage wasn't outrageous that I remember.

Posts: 98 | Location: Virginia | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I can only speak for Ebay in the UK but when I send an invoice to an overseas buyer the e-mail I get does not show the charge but the one they get has the customs and VAT as a separate item .

More than once I have had buyers complaining I have sent an incorrect invoice with a higher total when all I see is the correct information . So far I have not had anyone outright refuse to pay but I have not had any repeat buyers either Frown .

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Triple-Frog:
I can only speak for Ebay in the UK but when I send an invoice to an overseas buyer the e-mail I get does not show the charge but the one they get has the customs and VAT as a separate item .

More than once I have had buyers complaining I have sent an incorrect invoice with a higher total when all I see is the correct information . So far I have not had anyone outright refuse to pay but I have not had any repeat buyers either Frown .
All correct. To rub salt in the wound, Ebay also include those customs and VAT charges in the total they use to decide how much to charge the seller in fees. This is much the same as the way they changed their T&Cs to include taking fees from the amount sellers charge for postage. Unfortunately, Ebay is still the best marketplace to sell things so you just have to grit your teeth and carry on regardless Frown

Posts: 1530 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
eBay standard envelope still exists, I have it on 90% of my promos.

It has issues. Have had 2 orders not arrive in the last month. One scanned delivered. But the buyer was upset that the tracking did not qualify for them to file a missing mail claim since it was not US postal tracking.

But it is for US only, so that's probably why you're not seeing it.

And yes, eBay has pretty much made the global shipping mandatory. And frankly it's a good thing for sellers as I am only on the hook for getting it to the US distributon hub.

Ed

Ed is right, Global Shipping is mandatory right now. Ebay automatically adds it to our listings.
It’s a great thing for sellers, but it sucks for buyers. I recently bought something from Australia, and the shipping was $26, but I really wanted the card, so I bit the bullet. As those of you in the UK and Canada also have taxes imposed on cards you receive through the mail, I can see how it would get too expensive sometimes. Aussies, do you pay import fees?

Posts: 3214 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post