Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Marisa Tomei No Way Home Film Cel Autograph.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marisa Tomei No Way Home Film Cel Autograph.
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
posted
Just noticing these as they are on ePack now, but it looks like she signed these particular autographs 'May Parker' . . . the other cards seem to have her actual signature:

Does this make you more or less interested in the card?

Posts: 5422 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
Does this make you more or less interested in the card?

Zero interest.

I wonder if UD instructed her to do this, or she didn't understand the assignment if they asked her to add "May Parker" inscriptions?

Posts: 1573 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
It's worthless as an autograph card. Someone may think it's worth something just for the card and the novelty of the mistake, but it would be junk to me.

This has happened before when signers got the instructions for adding inscriptions wrong and never actually signed their name. Amazing that they don't know enough about certified autograph cards to figure it out for themselves, but she's not the first and won't be the last to ruin a nice hit this way.

Posts: 10426 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
It's worthless as an autograph card. Someone may think it's worth something just for the card and the novelty of the mistake, but it would be junk to me.

This has happened before when signers got the instructions for adding inscriptions wrong and never actually signed their name. Amazing that they don't know enough about certified autograph cards to figure it out for themselves, but she's not the first and won't be the last to ruin a nice hit this way.

Shouldn't it have been picked up before being put on the card?
If she misunderstood then there would a number of them on same sheet of stickers.

Posts: 3255 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Or you can make a custom card for her to sign that says "Aunt May" and she will change it for you. Cool

Posts: 4871 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raj:
quote:

Shouldn't it have been picked up before being put on the card?
If she misunderstood then there would a number of them on same sheet of stickers.

Maybe there are more stickers without her autograph, but even if this is the only one, I agree that it should not have been placed on the card by UD. However they did the exact same thing when Sean Bean signed his UD Bond card using only his character's name, Alec Trevelyan. UD certainly knows better, but maybe they just didn't look, didn't care, or couldn't get enough replacements to make the required number.

Nice custom by the way, but she was more careful writing the made-up name than writing her own. Penmanship may be dead, but Tomei is old enough to have learned how to sign her name.

Posts: 10426 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've probably seen about 5 Tomei film cel autographs all of them were signed May Parker.

All of her other autographs that I've seen on other cards were her signature.

Posts: 5422 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nice custom by the way, but she was more careful writing the made-up name than writing her own. Penmanship may be dead, but Tomei is old enough to have learned how to sign her name.

Thanks...did a My Cousin Vinny also.

Yeah, the one I picked up from Pop Century is cleaner with both first and last name. When you look at her recent cards however, there is certainly a range for her signature. Almost as if she naturally alternates between them.

I always thought the character name signature was an upper deck driven idea. It's not like she knows what cards her stickers are going on.

Posts: 4871 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
I always thought the character name signature was an upper deck driven idea. It's not like she knows what cards her stickers are going on.

Honestly, I don't believe there ever was such an intention by any card maker to have only the character name written. I think they are mistakes by the signer in following inscription instructions or just forgetting to really autograph it. Bean's Bond cards were on-card, not stickers, and he didn't write his own name.

Logically it can't be called an autograph card if they are signing as their character who doesn't exist. RA has numerous signers use the character name as their inscription, but I have never seen an RA inscription card that did not also have the genuine autograph. Maybe someone has caught such a mistake, but I don't think RA would pack out a card that didn't also have a true signature on it.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
After looking at the checklist it makes sense that is what happened. There are three cards listed with character in quotes.

FCA-MT Marisa Tomei as May “Aunt May”
FCA-RI Rhys Ifans as The Lizard “The Lizard”
FCA-TC Thomas Haden Church as Sandman “Sandman”

The other two have signature and character.

Ultimately it is UD who decided to stick stickers so they are to blame for their lack of ability to resolve the issue.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I see one of the "May Parker" autographs sold for $250 on Feb 17; another for $151.50 with 8 bids on Feb 1; another for $229 on March 7. A third sold for somewhere less than $299 on Jan 30 so maybe that one went for more than $250.

Someone not watching the board offered one for $122.22 as a BIN and it sold on April 14.

From that, we can conclude that it still sells even without Tomei signing as herself. I can't imagine we are seeing card collectors buying that. It's got to be just people who think they can resell it as a novelty. Hey, I like oddball cards too but I'm not buying that even if it were offered to me for 15 bucks. Who wants something someone signed as someone else? Yes, it's Tomei signing but card/autograph/autograph card collectors don't want her signing as other people.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/35541...tkp%3ABk9SR9CshOjiYw

Posts: 4414 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
From that, we can conclude that it still sells even without Tomei signing as herself. I can't imagine we are seeing card collectors buying that.

They may well be card collectors interested in the limited card, but they sure aren't autograph collectors. And you don't pick up a novelty item for roughly the same price as the real deal.

This is a case where, for all those sold prices, I'm happy if the buyers are happy. May you all keep finding each other because $50 would be where I would cap it as a maximum, just as an uncorrected error card.

UD should not have packed it out if they couldn't get more stickers signed the right way, but her name was one of the bigger draws. And it's not her name, is it? Big Grin

posted Hide Post
I wonder how many buyers didn't notice that she didn't sign her name. I'm guessing there are some -- I did a double take when I noticed it.

I also just realized that they used the same photo on all of her autograph cards, and they may have only used 2 different photos across all of her cards in the set. Lazy.

Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
I also just realized that they used the same photo on all of her autograph cards, and they may have only used 2 different photos across all of her cards in the set. Lazy.

Might be an image approval thing.

Just because UD has the license, certain actors retain image rights and have to approve all uses. Could be this one image was pre-approved.

I've heard stories about image rights with Charmed, where you could almost never get all 3 sisters to approve a group photo, one would always turn it down.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5084 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
I can't really respond to all the theories but I know when she was given my custom card she was not happy with "Aunt May" and changed it. At 59 years old she seems to think there is a problem with being an Aunt to an actor who is 27 years old.

It is quite possible when UD listed "Aunt May" for the card she decided to set the record straight. Of course the real question is, who is she to Peter Parker?

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
I can't really respond to all the theories but I know when she was given my custom card she was not happy with "Aunt May" and changed it. At 59 years old she seems to think there is a problem with being an Aunt to an actor who is 27 years old.

It is quite possible when UD listed "Aunt May" for the card she decided to set the record straight. Of course the real question is, who is she to Peter Parker?

Maybe she just wanted the character in her own right rather than be referred to as someone's aunt. She changed it to May Parker, after all.

Posts: 3255 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post