Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Star Wars Shop Cards 2005-2007
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Wars Shop Cards 2005-2007
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
After many years, I've noticed that the Star Wars Shop holiday cards have appeared on the auction site, but only cards # 2 to 11. No sign of # 1. Wish I had these !

Posts: 4718 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
The animated ones were issued in different quantities with #1 being the rarest. I think it was just 500 for that one. The most common ones, the last few in the set, there are 1,000 of.

These cards should be considered "condition sensitive" or something to that effect as they were placed in the box with whatever item you ordered with no protection of any kind for the card, and could bounce around in there. I would imagine a decent percentage of them arrived damaged. I got at least two that were noticeably bent.

Also, during the promotion, they were included with an order whether you asked for one or not, so there is a chance that at least some of the cards, not being the real reason the order was placed, weren't saved in a way that'll ever allow them to enter the collector's market.

Limited quantity, cool subject, these are essential Topps Star Wars cards.

Posts: 3327 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It will be interesting to see how much these auctions go for. So far, no bids yet on most of them ! I think that in the past 2 years, before this batch, I saw only 2 or 3 singles appear on ebay. They have not appeared in quantity as they did back in 2008-2009.

Posts: 4718 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
rarest 1,2,3 had 500 made - middle group had 1000 and last 3 or 4 had 1500 made

Posts: 198 | Location: United States | Registered: December 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
#1 is definitely more scarce than all of the others. I was going off the top of my head earlier but here's the official information as it was at the Star Wars website when the cards were newly issued:

• Card #1: 500 units
• Cards #2, 3, 4 & 5: 1,000 units each
• Cards #6, 7, 8, 9, 10 & 11: 1,750 units each

Total edition of Holiday Special Cards: 15,000

Posts: 3327 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The 10 auctions for cards #2-11 ended. Most sold between $24 and 33 each, with one going for $ 36 and another for $41

One card did not have any bids at all, and went unsold.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The cheapest way to get a card back when they were available was by purchasing clearance calendars or mini-calendars which didn't cost much but shipping was $7 or so, so it ended up being about $13 for an order if you were placing it only to get a card. With that in mind, their values have essentially doubled or tripled, with with the exception of the #1 card which I would imagine would do a lot better than $36.

I also bought a few of the slightly more expensive items like a Tie Fighter Pilot mini bust and a pair of the General Greivous concept action figures to get three different cards. Not collecting those items, I was able to sell them and get a good part of the money I spent on them back, so those cards probably cost me less in the long run than the ones I bought calendars to get. I also bought a set of Glow in the Dark Wall decorations shaped like Star Wars ships for $10 (plus shipping).

I think it's safe to say a full set of the 11 cards would go for about $300 with the #1 card being approximately $100 of that value.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Did you see the Star Wars Holiday cards that popped up on ebay in late November ? I think this was the first time all 11 showed up in a few years. Most sold for $50 each, from what I recall, and the rare # 1 for over $ 350 !