Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cult Stuff Magnets
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
I've noticed that my Sherlock Holmes and War of the Worlds magnets are starting to curl, even in 9 pocket plastic sheets. What can I do ? Help !

Posts: 4718 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Put them in a rigid toploader.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
I've noticed that my Sherlock Holmes and War of the Worlds magnets are starting to curl, even in 9 pocket plastic sheets. What can I do ? Help !

Not much other than toploads.

It has to do with moisture absorption. The paper parts absorb moisture and expand ever so slightly while the magnet part stays the same.

Same thing happens with foil and chrome cards and to a lesser extent with older slick-front card stock. Not much you can do about it. It's not excessive moisture, just more than what was in the air when the parts were put together.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5082 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Just stick em on the fridge. Big Grin

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
On a related note, I noticed sometime ago that alot of my foil chase cards from the Dynamic Forces sets that I collected, back in the very early 2000s (Fathom, Witchblade, Battle of the Planets, etc) are curling up in the 10 count plastic boxes that I keep them in.

Posts: 4718 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
Card curling is very common in a number of sets but the Batman & Superman holo sets were notorious for it. I have found that even keeping them in 9-pocket pages wedged tight in a ring-binder doesn't even help much. Ed is quite right, any card made of two different materials or coatings will always act independently of one another and I believe that flattening them will only ever be a short term fix.

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post